ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crawling back after Cryptobia - new 3-d setup

Default Crawling back after Cryptobia - new 3-d setup

One message you never want to hear from your aquatic vet is: As I suspected, your fish are also infected with a protozoan parasite that causes pathology (i.e. granulamatous lesions) in the stomach/intestine area of discus (later confirmed as cryptobia).

So, after euthanizing ALL my stock I tore everything down, threw out all filter media, nets, sponges, and sterilized the entire system twice, once with 8ppm PP over 24 hours, and once with Clorox. Then air dry for 1 month. All new media and now going through a fishless cycle.

While I was going through this process I thought I'd experiment with a 3-D background. I went with the Aqua Terra rain forest. Here it is:

But there were two problems with this. First, I think the background is too dark and won't show my new fish well. Second, like a total idiot I used GE Silicone II, a product that has a mold inhibitor in it. Here's a pic of that disaster:

So, I tore THAT out and bought a Pangea Rocky I background that I like a lot better because it's lighter. It's main problem is that it takes up more room in the tank and so I'll have to limit the number of discus in this 125 gallon tank to no more than 9. It was slightly damaged upon receipt, but I was able to favor the damaged corners and you can't really see the damage any more.

I cut it into three pieces using a hole saw, drilled and cut pass-throughs for the water to get to the filter intakes that will be behind the background, siliconed (using fish-approved silicone!) screen using temporary screws to hold it in place while the silicone dried, and then glued it together once assembled inside the tank.

Filled it with water, connected two canister filters, put in two sponge filters, a few silk plants and sand, and started the fishless cycle with pure ammonia. Here's what it looks like now:

I've ordered 8-9 fish from Hans, told him what I want and to be picking them out for me for a May 1 pickup. He said he's set up a "Don" tank LOL. So I told him I've set up some "Hans" tanks. Here's where the breeders and grow-out tanks are. Of course the 200 gallon storage barrel is the reason I can maintain so many tanks (THANKS again to Ed Most!).

Here's the two breeders:

Here's the 55 gallon grow-out tank:

I hated losing all my fish, but it did give me an opportunity to re-build and re-stock. It'll be a LONG time before I mix any non-Stendker fish in with my stock, that's for damn sure. Hope you enjoyed.

Default Re: Crawling back after Cryptobia - new 3-d setup

Very nice work Don! I like the idea with the hoses attached to the drains so you can vacuum the bottom. Mine are solid so I have to use a 5gal bucket to clean the bottom while the solid siphons drain the tank. I know what I will be changing!
    I know exactly how it feels to have to wipe out years of fish, but it is fun restarting everything.
    Good luck with you new Hans fish. That is the choice i would have made too, stendkers from the man!
    Jim

Best wishes, Don!

Will you be picking up adult fish or juvies?

Yun-

- 265G Wild Discus Community
    - 90G African Cichlids
    - 56G Reef
    - 20G, 20G, 29G Community
    - 20G, 26G, 36G empty

Nice set up. Can't wait to see fish in it. I hope for all the best with your new stock.

Here is a question for you. How can anyone that lives so close to our vendors exercise any control? I think it would be very dangerous for my wallet if I were driving distance from any of them.
    Anik

Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been. - Jimmy Buffet

Quote Originally Posted by jimg View Post
    Very nice work Don! I like the idea with the hoses attached to the drains so you can vacuum the bottom. Mine are solid so I have to use a 5gal bucket to clean the bottom while the solid siphons drain the tank. I know what I will be changing!
    I know exactly how it feels to have to wipe out years of fish, but it is fun restarting everything.
    Good luck with you new Hans fish. That is the choice i would have made too, stendkers from the man!
    Thanks, Jim. Your advice and experience on this issue were very important to me and helped me figure out what to do. Yea, the hose connected to the syphon makes it very easy to vacuum.

Quote Originally Posted by YSS View Post
    Best wishes, Don!

Will you be picking up adult fish or juvies?
    Hi, Yun, Hans is picking me out likely pairs, and so they'll all be 5+ inches.

Quote Originally Posted by Rummy View Post
    Nice set up. Can't wait to see fish in it. I hope for all the best with your new stock.

Here is a question for you. How can anyone that lives so close to our vendors exercise any control? I think it would be very dangerous for my wallet if I were driving distance from any of them.
    Hi, Anik, you're right, it's great to be close to excellent vendors! How do you not buy too much? Well, I've only got so many tanks and so much time, and so I'm limited by that. But the proximity isn't really the issue, our vendors can deliver outstanding fish right to your door step. So, get out your wallet LOL!

Registered Member

hey sorry quick question the syphon do u need to prime it or is gravity enough to start the syphon when u clean out ur tanks so u open valve clean bottom and leave it to drain etc cheers btw

Registered Member

Hi Don, I've got questions for you since I think I'm getting a 3D background also. I saw 3 holes cut on the bottom is that all the holes you cut? Where did you get the plastic mesh to put in the holes and do they have a finer screen to keep out small fish? I was going to use two Aqua Clear 110 filters on my tank, will they work with the background? I was going to hang them on the back but it might work if I hang the filters on the side. I will start a new thread about HOB filter positioning soon to get people's opinions. I am aware of the possible silicone problem.

Very nice!

I've been through the cryptobia experience myself. It's devistating.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by random-cichlid View Post
    hey sorry quick question the syphon do u need to prime it or is gravity enough to start the syphon when u clean out ur tanks so u open valve clean bottom and leave it to drain etc cheers btw
    Hey, random,

How do I maintain syphon? Well, the pics don't show it very well, but the drain pipes have a valve at a lower level, and also at a high level, two valves. Then at the very top of the drain pipe is a threaded cap. If syphon is lost, I close both valves, open the cap and fill the drain pipe with water. Then close the cap, that fills the vertical pipe. Now, open the top valve, and then the bottom valve, and the weight of the water in the vertical pipe will pull any trapped air down, recreating the syphon. -Don

Quote Originally Posted by Elliots View Post
    Hi Don, I've got questions for you since I think I'm getting a 3D background also. I saw 3 holes cut on the bottom is that all the holes you cut? Where did you get the plastic mesh to put in the holes and do they have a finer screen to keep out small fish? I was going to use two Aqua Clear 110 filters on my tank, will they work with the background? I was going to hang them on the back but it might work if I hang the filters on the side. I will start a new thread about HOB filter positioning soon to get people's opinions. I am aware of the possible silicone problem.
    Hi, Elliots,

There are actually 4 holes in the background, one you can't see. I bought the background from Aquarium Habitats, it's a Pangea background. Chip was the seller, and he provided me with a screen mesh that I siliconed on the back side. My background is not hard against the back of the tank, I left enough room to stick a 1/2 inch pvc pipe down there for w/c's. If you put this type of background inside your tank, you had better plan on cleaning BEHIND as well as in front. Otherwise, you'll be inviting problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Elliots View Post
    I also meant to tell you that the filter intakes are behind the background, that's why I have the "holes," or pass-throughs. The filter outputs are spray-bars up top, and are not very visible. The whole point of the 3-D is to reduce the amount of visible aquarium equipment as possible. Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Very nice!

I've been through the cryptobia experience myself. It's devistating.
    Liz, I'll send you a pm tomorrow.

Registered Member

hey if its not to much trouble if u get the time would u be able to take a photo of that drain\syphon set up i am in the process of finishing my fish room all i have left to do is weld stands and drill holes and run plumbing seems like its taking forever to finish my fish room
    If u were to do anything different in knowing what u know now would u still do it all the same way

Quote Originally Posted by random-cichlid View Post
    hey if its not to much trouble if u get the time would u be able to take a photo of that drain\syphon set up i am in the process of finishing my fish room all i have left to do is weld stands and drill holes and run plumbing seems like its taking forever to finish my fish room
    If u were to do anything different in knowing what u know now would u still do it all the same way
    Here is a drawing on how I maintain syphon. HTH.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fabulous set up Don, congrats on getting back to it, sorry for your losses and best of luck with all the new acquisitions.
    Jorge Q

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast