ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help now now now.....please

Registered Member strawberryblonde's Avatar

Default Re: Help now now now.....please

Yup yup, what Warlock said! Add the Prime or Safe at the beginning of the fill, not after it's filled.

I start warming my water at the tap, then walk back to the tank, toss in the Safe (equal to treating the entire 115g tank), stuff my poret foam block into the end of the siphon, plop it in the tank, then go back to the tap, hook up the hose and flip on my pre-warmed water faucets.

By doing it in that order I'm less likely to forget to add the Prime. (Not infallible though, ask me sometime about the day I forgot to turn my heaters back on...eeeeesh)
    Toni

120g - 10
    discus, 4 cory's, 50+ Cardinals for now... give it a month and it'll change!

Quote Originally Posted by strawberryblonde View Post
    Yup yup, what Warlock said! Add the Prime or Safe at the beginning of the fill, not after it's filled.
    Always! Sorry to hear about the loss.
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

What the HECK!?!?!?!

I have kept fish for over 9 years (consecutively) and I have never heard of adding prime/water conditioner while adding the water to the tank...

I have always put my water in the container I use to replenish my water, add the prime/conditioner there, fill that container with water and then fill the tank with that water...

I have read that adding the water directly to the tank and dosing prime/conditioner is not the way to do it because by the time the chemicals start working, the chlorine will already be inside the fish and cause damage little by little (and this makes sense to me)...

I have always done it this way and never lost a fish to a water change... Maybe I am understanding wrong but I dont know
    Discus...tingly addicted to fish!

-Chris

Registered Member

krislewis3-

Glad to hear everyone is on the mend

Real Name
    Ralph

I've always added my powered version of prime (Safe) directly to the entire tanks volume just before I crank open my fill hose attached to my tap. Never lost any fish.
    I have added it during my start fill in the past but never after tank is already full.
    Sorry for your loss.

...Ralph
    Last edited by Altum Nut; 04-10-2012 at 11:03 PM.
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Real Name
    Rick

If you dose your tank One hour prior to performing a water change, wouldn't you then end up removing half of it when you siphon the tank? Seems like a waste. Technically, the dechlor should still be active after an hour, albeit at a reduced concentration. Best time to add the dechlorinator is just after siphoning the tank, but prior to adding the fresh water. The reaction is almost instantaneous.

Chlorine leaves the water in a few hours, so there is no chlorine in the old water, if it was more than a few hours in the tank. Therefore it is no reason to ad primer to the old water that was first in the tank, and it should be only added to the new water, and only for the amount of it, in the tank in which the new water is prepared for the next waterchange.
    On the other hand, the primer needs a certain time to process the chlorine and the heavy Metals which may be present.
    It is therefore self-evident that the water primer has to be added into the new water before the water change.
    Please read the instructions for use of the water primer.
    Chemical reactions need some time to stabilize itself.
    It is therefore necessary to change the water first outside of the aquarium, and it should be done in it only if it behaves stable and the water values ​​are comparable with those from the Aquarium.
    Last edited by Ioan C.; 04-11-2012 at 01:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ioan C. View Post
    Chlorine leaves the water in a few hours after it no longer is under the pressure of the conduit, so there is no chlorine in the old water, if it was more than a few hours in the tank. Therefore it is no reason to ad primer to the old water that was first in the tank, and it should be only added to the new water, and only for the amount of it, in the tank in which the new water is prepared for the next waterchange.
    On the other hand, the primer needs a certain time to process the chlorine and the heavy Metals which may be present.
    It is therefore self-evident that the water primer has to be added into the new water before the water change.
    how do you do your water changes..?
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Do water companies treat the water with chloramines in Germany? Are you talking about the same product?

Chlorine leaves the water in a few hours, so there is no chlorine in the old water, if it was more than a few hours in the tank. Therefore it is no reason to ad primer to the old water that was first in the tank, and it should be only added to the new water, and only for the amount of it, in the tank in which the new water is prepared for the next waterchange.
    Steve T

chop meat, carry water

Quote Originally Posted by magewynd View Post
    Do water companies treat the water with chloramines in Germany? Are you talking about the same product?
    who knows what he means
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Chlorine leaves the water in a few hours after it no longer is under the pressure of the conduit, so there is no chlorine in the old water, if it was more than a few hours in the tank. Therefore it is no reason to ad primer to the old water that was first in the tank, and it should be only added to the new water, and only for the amount of it, in the tank in which the new water is prepared for the next waterchange.
    Dechlor works almost instantaniously so it is best to add it just before you put the new water in the tank if you are using a python. You must add enough dechlor for the the entire volume of the tank not just the amount of water being added. This way the new water going into the tank can be dechlorinated (it is easier for the new water to "make contact" with the dechlor this way and thusly be neutralized). Doing it any other way is asking for trouble.
    OC
    Visit my homestead....Discus Living with the OC

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Crush View Post
    Dechlor works almost instantaniously so it is best to add it just before you put the new water in the tank if you are using a python. You must add enough dechlor for the the entire volume of the tank not just the amount of water being added. This way the new water going into the tank can be dechlorinated (it is easier for the new water to "make contact" with the dechlor this way and thusly be neutralized). Doing it any other way is asking for trouble.
    USA USA USA!
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

I agree with you Skip. This guy's answers are almost the direct opposite to the advice you have given or I would give. Not just on this thread.

OC, I do it that way too.

Quote Originally Posted by warlock4169 View Post
    USA USA USA!
    Steve T

chop meat, carry water

Quote Originally Posted by magewynd View Post
    Yes, they do sometimes, if it is necessary, not only in Germany, but in other countries to, ex.: Romania.
    Quote Originally Posted by warlock4169 View Post
    how do you do your water changes..?
    I keep several hours, or days, 220 L (58,117g) Fresh water from the tap in a ton of polyethylene, so that the gases can escape. In a same large ton I keep 220 ​​L permeate.
    In a 175 L (46,23g) barrel the fresh water is mixed to permeate at approximately 250μS/cm (about 8 ° dGH) and heated to 29 ° C. (84.2 °F) After about 30 min - 1 hour i put it in the aquarium.
    In the past 20 years i never had chlorine in my water.
    Last edited by Ioan C.; 04-11-2012 at 02:11 AM.

Next morning.........they seem ok!!!! Once again..your help was greatly appreciated!!!! Kris
    Last edited by krislewis3; 04-11-2012 at 04:32 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast