ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: 300W Fluval Heater not heating 32 gal Rubbermaid Brute Container?!?!

Default 300W Fluval Heater not heating 32 gal Rubbermaid Brute Container?!?!

This is seeming ridiculous to me but isnt the first issue Ive had that has made me suspicious. Ok, On my aging setup I have a Fluval 300W Heater in it and it wont bring the temperature above 80 degrees (86 is the temp in the tank). Now, one of my 55's has the same problem and that aquarium has a lot of water flow, 55 gallon tank has a fluval 300W heater which will not hold above about 82-83, so I have to use a SECOND 200W heater in unison with it to get the temps I need...... Should I be looking at a different heater manufacturer, I mean these are 50 dollar heaters, I kinda would like it if they did their job. Suggestions?

Default Re: 300W Fluval Heater not heating 32 gal Rubbermaid Brute Container?!?!

They're not reliable. I had a 250watt fluval that was awesome till 4 months later it wouldn't go above 80. Called the manufacturer and they sent me a new one.. That one wouldn't go above 80 either. They have a complex design that often has this reoccurring problem - I've also read this from other reviews also. Don't waste your money on any more, go buy jager. I have 4 total, 3 300watts for tanks and a 250 for the water aging barrel. They're double blown glass, never break, reach temp fast, hold it steadily, and are very reliable in my experience. Best part, they're not a lot of money for the quality.

Registered Member

Default Re: 300W Fluval Heater not heating 32 gal Rubbermaid Brute Container?!?!

Kens fish had them for $22. But I'm returning mine as it does not get past 79. Another member in another thread had the same problem. I'm trading up to get the E series which is supposedly alot better.

There are no "reliable" heaters left it seems. I've had good luck with my eheim 300w jager but you hear more complaints about them lately. I have a no name 200w heater in my 32g brute that just keeps on keepin' on and has for years now. The best heaters are the jemco units with controllers but the smallest they come is 500w.

Almost seems like you might as well honestly, ice got 500 Watts worth of heater in the damn bucket already just to get temp. Ridiculous but I guess i'm up for trying the Jager, because this is getting pretty frustrating. When they say 80 gallons they apparently mean 20 haha. I've never expected them to do the full 80 gallons by any means but is it asking so much that they do 30?