AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hamburg Mattenfilter

Registered Member roundfishross's Avatar

Default Re: Hamburg Mattenfilter

Quote Originally Posted by Emilio View Post
    I will say it again...the "BEST" filter! Here is a video of my tank with a Hamburg Mattenfilter. Enjoy!

Emilio, in your video the heater is not hidden behind the foam, isn't this the whole purpose for the hamburg? and what exactly is running that spray bar? Is there a canister filter on the tank to?

Leo
    Leo ross , aka "roundfishross"
    "revolution occurs when the victims cease to cooperate"

the clean look of this guy's setup is what sold me, but I could not make this system work without keeping the fish room at an uncomfortable temp

http://www.brianstropicals.com/pages/My-basement.html
    Last edited by roundfishross; 04-19-2012 at 12:04 PM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by roundfishross View Post
    I tried this setup personally in 20 g long breeder tanks. with two air lift tubes and a 200 watt heater there was not enough water movment to keep the tanks at an even temp( heaters ran all the time). A power head would have fixed the problem , but this was in a breeder tank room with 30 tanks running on a central air driven system. I was not about to buy or run 30 power heads. so for me this hamburg style setup was a big fail!
    where did you have the heater located? how strong was the airpump that was pumping air? how many atmospheres?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    I have a air lift tube made out of 3/4 PVC. Works great in all my tanks even the 65's. Power heads will be too costly. My central air system handles all my tanks with good circulation.
    what pump do you use to run your entire set up. also, can you give some specifics about your set up plz? how many tanks, sizes etc etc, and finally what foam do you use, what thickness, where did you get etc etc

Registered Member Inland Empire Discus's Avatar

You can always put it on steroids with K1 media. This works so well and you get a heck of a lot of Bio.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (67.4 KB, 160 views)
    Bill

Emilio, in your video the heater is not hidden behind the foam, isn't this the whole purpose for the hamburg? and what exactly is running that spray bar? Is there a canister filter on the tank to?

Leo
    Hi Leo. I have 2 heaters in the tank 1 of them is behind the foam. Yes there is a canister filter on the tank too. The foam is a pre filter for the canister filter at the same time as it filters as a HMF(hamburg mattenfilter). The whole purpose of this type of filter is to filter a larger bacteria surface area compared to traditional foam/sponge filter. Not just to hide the heater.

Registered Member Carolina discus's Avatar

I am trying to finish the new room/hatchery and I built a 200g sump that will house a massive one located within a central system and cartridge filter.....I did alot of research and it provides an unmatched bio load...check out swiss tropicals for all types of technical info...it will answer all types of questions...
    regards
    eric

Registered Member Carolina discus's Avatar

sorry...ghere is a link to some pics...
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...-room-hatchery
    I have a few questions to reply to and will try to update as I finish additional rows and tanks....

Quote Originally Posted by rubinsteinnyc View Post
    where did you have the heater located? how strong was the airpump that was pumping air? how many atmospheres?
    heater was located behind the foam, Alita al 80 air pump running 30 to 60 stones( very strong), not sure what the last question means.

Hi Leo. I have 2 heaters in the tank 1 of them is behind the foam. Yes there is a canister filter on the tank too. The foam is a pre filter for the canister filter at the same time as it filters as a HMF(hamburg mattenfilter). The whole purpose of this type of filter is to filter a larger bacteria surface area compared to traditional foam/sponge filter. Not just to hide the heater.
    so really the canister filter in your setup is doing the bulk of the work here? I would think that one massive Jager heater would plenty in your tank is the other used only as a back up?

so really the canister filter in your setup is doing the bulk of the work here? I would think that one massive Jager heater would plenty in your tank is the other used only as a back up?
    No. It's 50/50. I find it with tanks over 3 ft. long. I find it using 2 heaters at both ends you heat the tank more constant. My tank is 4 feet long. 60 gallons.

No. It's 50/50. I find it with tanks over 3 ft. long. I find it using 2 heaters at both ends you heat the tank more constant. My tank is 4 feet long. 60 gallons.
    if you were to lay that heater down horizontally on the bottom of the tank it would heat your tank much more efficiently and discourage the discus from burning them selves when they attempt to spawn on it

Put the heater behind the foam and crank up the air flow.

if you were to lay that heater down horizontally on the bottom of the tank it would heat your tank much more efficiently and discourage the discus from burning them selves when they attempt to spawn on it
    Thanks but I don't like the look of heaters laying horizontally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    Put the heater behind the foam and crank up the air flow.
    Thanks. If you crank up the air the current might be too strong.

Registered Member

when the current is too strong, how about installing an elbow and pointing it up a bit so it kinda shoots up? extra aeration?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast