ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: What to do?

Registered Member

Default What to do?

I'm looking for thoughts an opinion from all. Here's the deal I have currently downgraded to one tank (250) because my job has been keeping me away from home for long periods of time all the time. Currently the tank is heavily plant which means my wife has to all the water test, fertilizing, Co2 changes ...( with no complaints ). While on this trip I have been thinking of going low tech biotope. Because of a horrific winter my fish load is nonexsictant. It was a wild discus and angel tank till I couldn't keep the house warm and pretty much everything froze. I know it would be a big job of changing substrate but I think that would be it.... Ideas, thoughts??

Registered Member

Default Re: What to do?

The question is what kind of substrate do you have in the tank now. If you had discus you may have put sand in there.
    It seems to me all you have to do is do a new aquascape by taking out the high light plants and put in low light
    plants. Crypts, ferns, anubias, and I think even swords will work. Then downsize with your lighting. There are
    numerous threads on proper substrate for low light and discus.

Jeff

Registered Member

I currently have to substrates in the tank in the front viewing part I have 00 filter sand and divide to theback or the tank I have soil master select " which you can't buy any more" just trying to get opinions on what people like and success and failures of biotope type tanks.... Thank for the input Jeff

Well if we are talking biotope and discus then you would take all the plants out and just have wood.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Registered Member

That was what I was thinking.... Sadly it is completely out of my realm. I have been doing planted tank for years. It seams easy but I have learned that not always the case... The plan or thought was to change out substrate, cut the lights and add tannins to tint the water???? Can it be this easy????