ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Breeding Project...Not Fish...but challenging none-the-less....

Default New Breeding Project...Not Fish...but challenging none-the-less....

Hi all,
    Well been planning this awhile, but last week I took steps to start a new breeding project...Tiger Salamanders.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_Salamander ..
    I've wanted to work on these awhile...as they are not bred much in captivity. I think theres a need for that... so I hope in time to refine a way to do this.....we'll see. I practiced a bit last year with a smaller cousin of theirs, spotted salamanders...I had them bred in my pond, and I was able to raise the larvae to juveniles...so I should be able to apply that here.

These Salamanders are really incredible....some get to almost 14 inches.. I have a group of 3 males and 3 females...wild caught. These are not local to Connecticut, but in some states are very common. If you are a fisherman in the south or west you may have bought the larvae as bait..They are called mud puppys/water dogs ...These are a favorite bass bait .

So anyway....I am starting what I hope will be a good breeding project...either way, I am enjoying them just as.

Some pics....

Last edited by brewmaster15; 04-19-2012 at 12:04 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Default Re: New Breeding Project...Not Fish...but challenging none-the-less....

Those are COOL! Can't wait to see how this project goes! All the best with them Al!
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

So some bass fishing in your future Al ....have fun with these guys.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Oh Btw... Should any of you fisherman come across any bait shops selling these as larvae... I would be grateful if you would buy some for me, and ship them to me...I would cover the costs...

The Larvae can be interesting as well as some never morph into land adults, they stay as whats called canabalistic morphs, get bigger heads and teeth...and look out if you are a smaller one in the area or just about anything else that will fit in its mouth.

http://www.google.com/search?q=water...w=1440&bih=758
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 04-19-2012 at 12:09 PM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Banned

Al

Good Lucky for your new project.. Look interesting..

Very cool, I've often thought about putting salamanders in the tank but thought it was too risky with the investments. Good luck breeding them and If I come across any eggs (I fish here and there) I'll be sure to snag some for you.

Very cool! We have tons of salamanders in our backyard creek. My kids love fishing them out and finding the different life stages of them. Someone told me someone from the county said they are an endangered species, not sure if its true or not.
    “Be curious, not judgmental.”- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by JenTN View Post
    Very cool! We have tons of salamanders in our backyard creek. My kids love fishing them out and finding the different life stages of them. Someone told me someone from the county said they are an endangered species, not sure if its true or not.
    Definetly need to be careful there...as unfortunately some species of amphibians are not doing well these days due to a whole bunch of issues from acid rain, pollution, pet trade, invasive species, and habitat loss. Even among the Tiger Salamanders theres subspecies and populations that are threatened or endangered...so its best to always check with your Dept of Conservation as to their status.

BTW... these tiger salamanders can live up to 15 years if good care is given them.

-al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Definetly need to be careful there...as unfortunately some species of amphibians are not doing well these days due to a whole bunch of issues from acid rain, pollution, pet trade, invasive species, and habitat loss. Even among the Tiger Salamanders theres subspecies and populations that are threatened or endangered...so its best to always check with your Dept of Conservation as to their status.

BTW... these tiger salamanders can live up to 15 years if good care is given them.

-al
    Yup, the kids get them out with a net, observe them in a bucket and put them back. My future scientists :-) They are so excited about our discus spawn lol my 6 yr son wants to breed plecos now lol. They broke a large angelfish net catching salamanders one summer.
    “Be curious, not judgmental.”- Walt Whitman

Real Name
    Rick

Very cool AL!

I will continue to keep my eyes pealed here to see if I can find any live specimins. We have had some crazy weather here as of late, so I am not sure how this is effecting thier breeding routine. One week it was in the 80's for a week solid, only to have snow the following week.

http://www.caudata.org/forum/

Rick
    Last edited by nc0gnet0; 04-19-2012 at 01:16 PM.

Thanks Rick...
    We have a similar problem here. Its been so warm and dry here. We should be soaking wet with April showers...yet there have been none..We have brush fires and open fire bans in effect...never like this in the spring. I am very worried about our local population of spotted salamanders...These breed in Vernal pools...but with no rain, there are not any..and most of the ponds are very very dry.

Btw...that forum is a great one..
    -al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

Al thats cool I like them, I have relatives that look like that LOL LOL LOL.......Josie
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

What beautiful creatures. Enjoy your project.
    Anik

Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been. - Jimmy Buffet

Registered Member

cool project I breed alot of ball pythons. Check out kingsnake.com their is alot of cool stuff on their including salamanders

Quote Originally Posted by BrandyK View Post
    cool project I breed alot of ball pythons. Check out kingsnake.com their is alot of cool stuff on their including salamanders
    I love that site. I bought several rat snakes there and my red footed tortoise hatchlings came from a breeder there. Very dangerous site though for someone trying to curb their critter collection!!!!!!!!!
    -al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast