AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Measurement question

Default Measurement question

Is it accurate to measure from tip of nose, to end of tail fin? At what age do they have all their color and pattern? I bought mine at 3" ....how old should a 3" discus be?? And from there, how much should they grow at 4 months, 6 month, 8 months etc.

Default Re: Measurement question

YOU measure the way YOU want..

Nose to base of tail = standard length..

nose to end of tail = Total length..

where did you buy yours..?

a 3" discus.. (from a quality breeder) should be around 3 months or so..

if you bought 3" discus from LFS.. it could be a 9 month old discus..
    so there is no clear cut answer.. UNLESS you know the breeder and he/she can tell you when eggs were layed, when there were wigglers.. etc..

if all is done correctly.. discus grow about 1" for each month for 4 months... then growth slows down big time.. but will still keep growing..
    of course..this is all related to food feed, number of feedings, water changes, culling, genetics *spawn will grow at different rates*..
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

SO......WHICH MEASUREMENT ARE YOU USING WHEN YOU SAY THAT A QUALITY 3" DISCUS SHOULD BE 3 MONTHS OLD?

Registered Member strawberryblonde's Avatar

TL (total length) is what's generally used for juvie discus.

So 3 month old discus are usually about 3" TL. They then grow another inch in the first month, to reach 4". After that, growth slows to about 1/2 inch per month for a couple more months, then slows again.

That's only a general guide though. Some discus grow a little faster, some a lot slower. Wilds are notorious for slow growth.

How long have you had your discus? How much have they grown so far? Those are pretty good indicators of whether or not they are getting enough food.

Also, at 3" it won't hurt to try offering them an extra feeding just to see if they strike the food and gobble it down. If they do, then they are probably still hungry and could use that extra meal per day, or a wee bit extra food at each feeding.

There's not set amount to feed them, it's all a matter of trying this and that till you find a happy balance in your own tank. If they leave food laying on the bottom, they are overfed.
    Toni

120g - 10
    discus, 4 cory's, 50+ Cardinals for now... give it a month and it'll change!

I have heard this question asked many times before and Either I missed all the good answers or these 2 answers are the best... lol.
    Now I have another clue on how my discus are doing.

Thank you,
    Tito

i don't think i matters which way you measure.. AS LONG as you STATE!!!! how you measure.. 5" TL or 5" SL

BAM!!! DONE!

thank you.. ahem
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Quote Originally Posted by warlock4169 View Post
    i don't think i matters which way you measure.. AS LONG as you STATE!!!! how you measure.. 5" TL or 5" SL

BAM!!! DONE!

thank you.. ahem
    I was mainly taking about the growth of discus and the age they slow in growth. You know we new discus keepers and new to the world of forums... We have a alot of things to learn..

Thank you,
    Tito

Quote Originally Posted by Joker43 View Post
    I was mainly taking about the growth of discus and the age they slow in growth. You know we new discus keepers and new to the world of forums... We have a alot of things to learn..

Thank you,
    Tito
    ummm.. did i miss where you posted about the growth.. or is that another thread..
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

You can't determine age by size. There are too many variables. i.e. Genetics, feeding schedule, variety of foods, frequency of water changes, temp and some discus growth may be stunted due to having worms that compete for nutrients and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by David Rose View Post
    You can't determine age by size. There are too many variables. i.e. Genetics, feeding schedule, variety of foods, frequency of water changes, temp and some discus growth may be stunted due to having worms that compete for nutrients and so on.
    yep.. +1..

but all newbies.. ASSUME.. discus will all grow out to be 7" plus.. but we all thought that at first.. until you grow out your first batch... LOL!
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Registered Member strawberryblonde's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by strawberryblonde View Post
    TL (total length) is what's generally used for juvie discus.

So 3 month old discus are usually about 3" TL. They then grow another inch in the first month, to reach 4". After that, growth slows to about 1/2 inch per month for a couple more months, then slows again.

That's only a general guide though. Some discus grow a little faster, some a lot slower. Wilds are notorious for slow growth.

How long have you had your discus? How much have they grown so far? Those are pretty good indicators of whether or not they are getting enough food.

Also, at 3" it won't hurt to try offering them an extra feeding just to see if they strike the food and gobble it down. If they do, then they are probably still hungry and could use that extra meal per day, or a wee bit extra food at each feeding.

There's not set amount to feed them, it's all a matter of trying this and that till you find a happy balance in your own tank. If they leave food laying on the bottom, they are overfed.
    I think Joker was referring to the bolded portion of my quoted post.

I was actually partially answering 2 posts in one. Krislewis had posted both about how to measure discus and another post about how much to feed juvies so I got lazy and tried to cover both thing in one post. LOL
    Toni

120g - 10
    discus, 4 cory's, 50+ Cardinals for now... give it a month and it'll change!

Quote Originally Posted by strawberryblonde View Post
    I think Joker was referring to the bolded portion of my quoted post.

I was actually partially answering 2 posts in one. Krislewis had posted both about how to measure discus and another post about how much to feed juvies so I got lazy and tried to cover both thing in one post. LOL
    *face palm*
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Your Right Strawberryblonde... guess I'll read and not type...lol

Tito

Quote Originally Posted by Joker43 View Post
    Your Right Strawberryblonde... guess I'll read and not type...lol

Tito
    guess, i need to be PYCHIC
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Is it accurate to measure from tip of nose, to end of tail fin? This is the most common method
    At what age do they have all their color and pattern? When they are fully grown into adults
    how old should a 3" discus be?? 3-4 months old ideally.
    And from there, how much should they grow at 4 months, 6 month, 8 months etc. About .5 to .25, again ideally
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast