ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Artificial Rearing of Fry

Homesteader Kingdom Come Discus's Avatar

Default Artificial Rearing of Fry

I am starting this thread in a effort document raising fry artifically. It has been a few years since I have raised any fry, although I have had much sucess using this method. I adopted this method after reading Dick Au's great book Trophy Discus.

I took the eggs from the T-Aqua Respect Cobalt Version 2 (Old German) pair last night and shot a video of the very upset parents. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrrY22cekcA . They are not confirmed yet. I use a pvc pipe which slides over the smaller pvc pipes used in the tanks for overflow and drain. This makes it easy to remove the eggs. Once the parents laid the eggs, this spawn produced about 120 eggs, I moved the pipe to a small tank with methylene blue, heater and airline. I keep the pair in a pH of 6 to 6.5 pure tap water. The water used in the hatching container is the same pH but I used half R.O water to lower the TDS reading. TDS will be just under 100ppm.

I left the eggs in the hatching tank over night and returned to find half the eggs had detached because I had way too much air pressure going to the hatching tank. Remember I haven't done this for sometime so it may take a few times, providing the eggs hatch.
    Kraig

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Artificial Rearing of Fry

Kraig, I watched your video and I think a air-stone which generates a finer air bubble will give you a gentler flow and not knock the eggs off the PVC pipe.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member BoiseDiscusGuy's Avatar

Good luck! Hope it works out well for you! I have been using this method for several spawns and have had very good results. I'm sure you will too...After eggs hatch and go free swimming, I like to round up the fry and place them in small plastic bowls ( I like to use white as its much easier to see the fry) at around 30 fry per bowl. I float the bowls in a tank with correct temp water and use the ambient heat of the tank to heat the bowls along with a slightly trickling airstone. I use a powdered egg yolk mixture smeared on the edge of the bowl at the waterline for their first week or so. At around 7 days I start to introduce BBS and decrease egg yolk feedings. 80-90% percent WC every 4 hrs and re-feed. At last WC of the day no food. At 2 wks they are off egg yolk and completely on BBS. At 3 wks the fry are moved to a 10 g tank and sponge filter still feeding BBS and starting to introduce solid food as well (Hikari first bites work well as it is very fine and very nutritious but other powdered food would be just as good) at 4 wkss they are moved to a 30 g tank and completely on solid food. I hope this helps somewhat and I wish you all the best! Those are some outstanding genetics you're working with!
    Chris

Real Name
    Rick

Kraig,

If succesful with the hatch, what do you plan on feeding?

Rick
    Last edited by nc0gnet0; 05-07-2012 at 12:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Kraig, I watched your video and I think a air-stone which generates a finer air bubble will give you a gentler flow and not knock the eggs off the PVC pipe.
    Good idea Pat. I don't have any right now and don't plan on getting any until David Rose gets his order in. Maybe I will make a trip to the LFS and pick up one.

Quote Originally Posted by BoiseDiscusGuy View Post
    Good luck! Hope it works out well for you! I have been using this method for several spawns and have had very good results. I'm sure you will too...After eggs hatch and go free swimming, I like to round up the fry and place them in small plastic bowls ( I like to use white as its much easier to see the fry) at around 30 fry per bowl. I float the bowls in a tank with correct temp water and use the ambient heat of the tank to heat the bowls along with a slightly trickling airstone. I use a powdered egg yolk mixture smeared on the edge of the bowl at the waterline for their first week or so. At around 7 days I start to introduce BBS and decrease egg yolk feedings. 80-90% percent WC every 4 hrs and re-feed. At last WC of the day no food. At 2 wks they are off egg yolk and completely on BBS. At 3 wks the fry are moved to a 10 g tank and sponge filter still feeding BBS and starting to introduce solid food as well (Hikari first bites work well as it is very fine and very nutritious but other powdered food would be just as good) at 4 wkss they are moved to a 30 g tank and completely on solid food. I hope this helps somewhat and I wish you all the best! Those are some outstanding genetics you're working with!
    It sounds like we use the same technique, except I never use egg yoke. It isn't necessary as long as you get the smallest brine shrimp egg available.
    The fry immediately take the newly hatched brine shrimp as Dick explains in his book.

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    Ksuccessful succesful with the hatch, what do you plan on feeding?

Rick
    I feed newly hatched brine shrimp for the first week and then decapsulated brine shrimp eggs and then I start a broader diet of flake, grow formula.
    Kraig

Real Name
    Rick

It sounds like we use the same technique, except I never use egg yoke. It isn't necessary as long as you get the smallest brine shrimp egg available.
    The fry immediately take the newly hatched brine shrimp as Dick explains in his book
    May I ask where you get your brine shrimp eggs of this size?

Registered Member BoiseDiscusGuy's Avatar

I would also like to know...If I can get away from the powdered egg yolk, I'm all for it! Do you use the hatching or non hatching decapsulated?
    Last edited by BoiseDiscusGuy; 05-07-2012 at 12:57 AM.
    Chris

San Francisco Strain
    http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/c2/...-Eggs-c24.html

Quote Originally Posted by Brokenrack View Post
    Like he said. I use the same eggs. Thanks.
    Kraig

Real Name
    Rick

Interesting, I use these as well as some hatchable decaps from an ebay supplier and I swear the decaps are smaller in size.

Rick

intresting indeed. Wattley used to tell me he would use the egg yolk with newly hatched BBS mashed into the mix. If there is a way to avoid the egg yolk that would be great. Has anyone raised fry without the egg yolk?

Ed
    "There was no spoon"

Interesting, I use these as well as some hatchable decaps from an ebay supplier and I swear the decaps are smaller in size.

Rick
    Before or after hatching? Before they would since they have no shell.

Here is an interesting video about an Italian breeders method.

Registered Member

I still use the egg powder with some APR. Jack Wattley was getting his brineshrimp eggs at one time from Andy Schmidt(OSI) located
    in the San Francisco Bay Area, now Bing Seto only uses Kordon eggs only for his new born fry.

http://badiscus.3.forumer.com/index.php?showtopic=34
    Last edited by CliffsDiscus; 05-07-2012 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyDiscus View Post
    intresting indeed. Wattley used to tell me he would use the egg yolk with newly hatched BBS mashed into the mix. If there is a way to avoid the egg yolk that would be great. Has anyone raised fry without the egg yolk?

Ed
    Yes I have raised many without egg yolk and I have never raised any with egg yolk. The egg yolk method fowls the water very quickly making things very labor intensive I hear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brokenrack View Post
    Here is an interesting video about an Italian breeders method.
    Thanks for sharing. Great video

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    I still use the egg powder with some APR. Jack Wattley was getting his brineshrimp eggs at one time from Andy Schmidt(OSI) located
    in the San Francisco Bay Area, now Bing Seto only uses Kordon eggs only for his new born fry.

http://badiscus.3.forumer.com/index.php?showtopic=34
    Wow Bing Seto is still raising Discus. Hook me up please.
    Kraig

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast