ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Artificial Rearing of Fry

Registered Member

Default Re: Artificial Rearing of Fry

Tad bit off subject.. but I have heard before that if a par starts laying eggs and they are allowed the proper environment to care of those eggs that their eating will be effected and thus their growth would be stunted. Can anyone tell me if this is true? If this is the case then would it be possible to simply rear the fry artificially until the par has reached a nice size of 6+ inches and then let them raise the rest of their batches from there on out?

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

In the long run it will have minimual affect if the fish are properly cared for. If I were you I would not worry about it.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Registered Member

Guys..I always fail to try this methods….I could not find egg yolk powder & smaller brine schrimp in my country. So only try with raw egg yolk or 1 minutes boiled egg yolk with mash brine schrimp. Then smear it on black plastick card hanging on the bowl. After 2 - 3 days most of the fry will be on the bottom of the bowl then died all. Please your advise....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by indra13540 View Post
    Guys..I always fail to try this methods….I could not find egg yolk powder & smaller brine schrimp in my country. So only try with raw egg yolk or 1 minutes boiled egg yolk with mash brine schrimp. Then smear it on black plastick card hanging on the bowl. After 2 - 3 days most of the fry will be on the bottom of the bowl then died all. Please your advise....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    What country are you in? You need a fully cook hard boiled egg yolk instead of a 1 min. yolk. Take the hard boil yoke and mash it thru a strainer so it will
    look exactly like powder yolk then add the raw yolk till the texture is similar to peanut butter, then smear the yolk on a pan. You might want to use an
    air dryer to semi-dry the yolk so it will stick on the pan. Last check for yellow bellies on the fry, just to make sure they are eating. Oh, I use any BBS
    doesn't matter what size especially if they are going to be mash, just make sure their are no shells because the shells are very sharp.

Cliff
    Last edited by CliffsDiscus; 04-26-2014 at 04:44 PM.

Hi Kraig,

Hey I have read all this and it seems pretty straight forward. I'm going to try it with some intermediate albino leopards that keep eating their albino fry and keep the normal fry.

So I transferred the eggs at about 40 hours after spawn, methyl blued them, placed my air stone beside the eggs but not so close the bubbles are touching them. Air flow also doesn't seem too strong so was very hopeful.

This first attempt has seen almost all of the fry drop off the spawning cone to the bottom of the container. I can see some of them still wiggling so fingers are crossed.

Just wondering if this happens with you therefore may be the norm? Do they mostly drop to the bottom and just go free swimming at the normal time or have I done something badly wrong?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks
    Last edited by willyhunt; 04-27-2014 at 09:46 PM.
    Bill

Any one???????????
    Bill

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by willyhunt View Post
    Hi Kraig,

This first attempt has seen almost all of the fry drop off the spawning cone to the bottom of the container. I can see some of them still wiggling so fingers are crossed.

Just wondering if this happens with you therefore may be the norm? Do they mostly drop to the bottom and just go free swimming at the normal time or have I done something badly wrong?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks
    If the eggs drop off of the cone too early, they should form into clumps of attached wrigglers, the next stage should be free swimmers
    fry on the water surface.

Cliff

Real Name
    Mike DiGirolamo

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom Come Discus View Post
    Good idea Jorge, Thanks.
    Years ago I used to suck up the small fry into a laboratory pipette and then transfer them to a clean pan. You should be able to get a 15 ml or 20 ml pipette at a science supply store.

Mike

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Stuart

Kraig
    Do you de capsulate brine shrimp eggs yourself and if you do what do you use to do it. I did it a couple of weeks ago and then I hatched the eggs. they hatched but I noticed that there were a lot of eggs that did not hatch is this normal and can the fry eat the eggs and hatched shrimp. When I de capsulated the eggs I used bleach and vinegar is that good or do you have something better.
    When I called the company they said maybe the temperature went up during the process and the next time I do it to set the container in ice water to keep the solution cool. He said that if the temp goes too high it stresses the egg and it won't hatch.

Registered Member

what do you guys do during the night time? I feed that my frys died during the night so I'm assuming they're starving. Hate getting up in the middle of the night to feed.

Quote Originally Posted by Chee_dog View Post
    what do you guys do during the night time? I feed that my frys died during the night so I'm assuming they're starving. Hate getting up in the middle of the night to feed.
    I doubt that the "fry" are dying from hunger; I would look more towards water quality or overfeeding.
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by donnacona View Post
    Kraig
    Do you de capsulate brine shrimp eggs yourself and if you do what do you use to do it. I did it a couple of weeks ago and then I hatched the eggs. they hatched but I noticed that there were a lot of eggs that did not hatch is this normal and can the fry eat the eggs and hatched shrimp. When I de capsulated the eggs I used bleach and vinegar is that good or do you have something better.
    When I called the company they said maybe the temperature went up during the process and the next time I do it to set the container in ice water to keep the solution cool. He said that if the temp goes too high it stresses the egg and it won't hatch.
    Stuart
    Here is the link where you can buy Decapsulated Brine Shrimp. Non hatching, can be fed directly to week old fry. This helps if your new batch of BBS did not hatch properly.
    http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-sup...ne-shrimp.html

Very impressive information about artificial fry rearing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark A. Thomas

Chris how often do you change the water?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marka View Post
    Chris how often do you change the water?
    I usually do 3 waterchanges for same growthrate as parental growth, but some crosses like albinos I might do 4 changes because of their slower growthrate.

Cliff

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast