AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: 1/2 HP Submersible Clear Water Pump Questions

Default 1/2 HP Submersible Clear Water Pump Questions

Looking at a pump to get water out of my 44 gallon rubbermaid trashcan I use for aging in my laundry room across the house into my fish room and into the tank. It seems like the best bang for your buck are these 1/2 HP submersible pumps on ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-400W-1-2...ht_1983wt_1251). I was wondering if they would be safe for pumping water into my tank though.

Does anyone else have experience with these types of pumps or have another pump they would recommend for my application?

Registered Member

Default Re: 1/2 HP Submersible Clear Water Pump Questions

How far do you have to pump (feet) and through what diameter hose will it be pumped through? For a simple water transfer pump, this will probably work ok. However, keep in mind that these cheaper Chinese imports generally do not have any warranties and are NOT UL listed. Also, the float switch used on the pump may give you an issue once the water level dips down below the top of the pump. Meaning, you may not be able to fully drain your storage tank (float switch will turn off the pump in a typical "low water level" installation).

Granted, you cant beat that price but there are a lot of other better quality pumps that are proven. Something like a Danner Mag-Drive pump is what is typically used for this application:
    http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategor...ag-Drive-Pumps

Which one I could recommend is going to depend on my first question(s) and how much water you want to move in a given time frame.

-Ryan
    -Ryan Karcher
    Aquatic Eco Systems Technician

Yeah I ended up finding a
    Mag5 and mag7 on Craigslist for $50. I went with that. As long as I get a couple hundred gph I'll be happy.