AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is bringing Discus to the Show?

Default Who is bringing Discus to the Show?

What makes a good Discus show GREAT? Lots and lots of beautiful discus to look at. We have some of the best speakers lined up. We have a beautiful hotel to meet in. We have some great Discus friends to hang out with. Now we need the Discus. Of course we have some of our Importers/Sponsors bringing Discus to the Show but what we really want to see are Discus from individual hobbyist. I want to encourage you to enter at least one Discus in the Show if you are coming. I can promise that you will be glad you did. I attended my very first Discus Show in 2010 at the NADA Dallas Show. I read a post just like this one from John Nicholson and thought to myself.............wouldn't that be really cool. I have to admit though that I was just a little bit intimidated by the thought of it. John coaxed and encouraged me and I decided to make it happen. Did my Discus win a award? Nope, but it was a great experience and I was certainly glad I did it. Since then I have entered Discus in the 2011 ACA and will enter Discus in our Show in June. If I win something, great but if not I have the satisfaction of knowing that I helped make the Show a great success. If you are driving to the Show then you have it made. Transporting them in a car is pretty easy. If you are flying then you can ship the Discus to us. Airport to Airport is the easiest and the Discus will arrive the same day shipped so less stress. Let us know and we will have someone dispatched to the airport cargo to pick the discus up when they arrive. After the Show is over. A couple of options, we will be happy to assist in shipping the Discus back home or you can advertise it for sale or enter it in the Auction on Sunday. Make this Show the best experience it can be by participating in the Show. You won't regret it!!
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Who is bringing Discus to the Show?

Larry, what John did for you, you might be able to do for me. So I do have a fish I am considering bring. My question is preparing a fish for the show? This particular fish has great presentation and even a bit high bodied for a wild. It will not win due to lacking on other areas but I plan on bring it anyway. It wuoud be nice to place it in a smaller tank located in a busy part of the house but again due to lack of resources. It is already a nice, thick fish so no need to feed it up. What else should I be doing?? or have I covered all the bases.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

I don't have any to bring this year, but I am excited to go and see what show fish look like...I hope to grow some out from my spawn and have somthing to enter in a future show
    “Be curious, not judgmental.”- Walt Whitman

i would rather TAKE then Bring
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by warlock4169 View Post
    i would rather TAKE then Bring
    Not surprising

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Larry, what John did for you, you might be able to do for me. So I do have a fish I am considering bring. My question is preparing a fish for the show? This particular fish has great presentation and even a bit high bodied for a wild. It will not win due to lacking on other areas but I plan on bring it anyway. It wuoud be nice to place it in a smaller tank located in a busy part of the house but again due to lack of resources. It is already a nice, thick fish so no need to feed it up. What else should I be doing?? or have I covered all the bases.
    I haven't tried to do anything to condition fish but that is something to think about. One thing to note. I had a fish that I reelly considered taking to the 2011 ACA. I decided against taking it because it's first few dorsal rays had and gap at the top and didn't have that smooth rounded look. I had the distinct honor of walking through the judging process with John Nicholson and Jim Hall. I quickly learned that you aren't looking for that perfect discus. All of them will have one of two areas that they may be lacking in. It is the sum total of all the judging areas that makes a winner. I should have entered my fish.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and Homesteader TNT77's Avatar

I'm thinking about bringing two down. Just extremely nervous about the whole process.
    Tara Bennett
    Phone: 815-876-0516

Real Name
    Matt

Question for us show noobs. For those of us who don't breed and don't have any home growns, is it looked down on individuals entering import discus in the show? I'm sure there are a wide variety of opinions, just looking for the general consensus. I know sponsors/vendors do it, but that's part of their business. I don't have any "Show grade" labeled fish that were groomed for it, just some adults I've bought various places, shall I still bring one/a couple?
    -Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    Question for us show noobs. For those of us who don't breed and don't have any home growns, is it looked down on individuals entering import discus in the show? I'm sure there are a wide variety of opinions, just looking for the general consensus. I know sponsors/vendors do it, but that's part of their business. I don't have any "Show grade" labeled fish that were groomed for it, just some adults I've bought various places, shall I still bring one/a couple?
    Most of the fish that will be entered in the show will not be home grown whether, entered by a Importer or individual. I will bet that 95% of the discus entered will not be home grown. I don't have any discus that were purchased as "Show Grade" either. It is true that some of the fish entered by Importers will be what is labled as "Show Grade" but certainly not all. Don't let that hold you back.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President

Real Name
    Pat

Good question Matt as the fish I am planning to bring is a wild discus. Are there any restrictions here??

Real Name
    Matt

Sounds good. Might make me bring some of mine then!
    -Matt

Great opportunity for hobbyists to get involved with the show! The last show had a lot of entries from hobbyists and it really made an impact on the show. Bring your favorite fish in and see how it places. I highly encourage it!
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Real Name
    Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Great opportunity for hobbyists to get involved with the show! The last show had a lot of entries from hobbyists and it really made an impact on the show. Bring your favorite fish in and see how it places. I highly encourage it!
    Well put Eddie.
    I've seen your fish in photos Matt....go for it buddy or you will regret it.
    Pat same goes for you...unless they don't have a "Wild Discus class".

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

I'll be bringing 6 or so. 3 purchased and the others home bred.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Thanks Larry for the kind words.

I have already sent a couple of ya'll an PM with my phone number to offer tips and getting your show fish ready. If anyone else is interested shoot me a pm and I will try to be in touch as my schedule allows.

Thanks.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast