ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Would a sponge filter help?

Default Would a sponge filter help?

Hey guys I know most of you use sponge filters and they seem to be a hit overall on SD when I have browsed some peoples tanks. I have an fx5 on my 90G tank and while it does a good job of aeration and filtering the water while catching most particulates it does not catch everything. What happens in my tank is light things like bits of food get sucked by the fx5 but denser things like discus poo ( LOL ) do not and actually accumulate on one side of the tank. My discus poo so much that i find my myself OCD siphoning at least 5x a day. That poo obviously can contribute to ammonia and etc. Would putting a sponge filter on that side of the tank help capture the poo that drifts to that side of the tank? That way i can just squeeze the sponge at the end of the day instead of siphoning so much

This is what the fx5 misses (btw this is moderate...usually looks a lot "browner")

Im sure this guy contributes to the mess as well LOL but he does a good job cleaning

Default Re: Would a sponge filter help?

Yep, it's the pleco poop you're seeing mostly. I wouldn't worry about it at all. Just vac once a day, or even every other day, no problem. Your canister filter will be filtering out the ammonia and nitrites, and if you're doing water changes regularly, it's all good. Are your fish healthy and happy? And anyway, what's a little poop between friends?

Yeah just vacuum daily youll have no problem sponge filters offer a good bio filtration and i personally like them cause if you start a new tank with a seeded sponge you dont have to wait for it to cycle its already done!
    Dave Z!
    NADA MEMBER
    Visit my homesteader page http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...hiladelphia-PA

Quote Originally Posted by Don in Virginia View Post
    Yep, it's the pleco poop you're seeing mostly. I wouldn't worry about it at all. Just vac once a day, or even every other day, no problem. Your canister filter will be filtering out the ammonia and nitrites, and if you're doing water changes regularly, it's all good. Are your fish healthy and happy? And anyway, what's a little poop between friends?
    Ok gotcha. Its so gross looking at what I vac. As for that creme colored thing its supposed to be a skull thing I had but it sort of fell apart lol. I would have a theme for this tank but im still growing them out. And yes I change water 70% everday... If not every 3 days at most

Registered Member

Is that textured spraypaint on the bottom of your tank? I really like that look - really looks like sand in the pics & you get the benefit of BB tank.

Quote Originally Posted by decoy50 View Post
    Is that textured spraypaint on the bottom of your tank? I really like that look - really looks like sand in the pics & you get the benefit of BB tank.
    yes it is. I've big plans for this tank once I'm done growing my discus out. Eventually it will be planted with real sand this is just for now since i dont like that sterile barebottom tank look... had to spice it up a bit

Registered Member

Thanks for the info - I've heard of people using that paint but had never seen it before. Looks great - I wasn't a big fan of barebottom tanks either until I grew some fish out in one. Definitely the way to go!! Good luck.