AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Battling beard algae

Registered Member

Default Battling beard algae

I'd like some input/advice on what causes beard algae. I always seem to get it growing on my driftwood in all my tanks. I just set up a tank with 3 pieces of manzanita wood in it. I just stocked it with a bunch of cardinals a few days ago. The tank has been running for 3 weeks and prior to adding the cardinals I've had nothing living in it.
    I started noticing beard algae about a week ago and it seems to be spreading. 75% of the water carbon filtered tap water and I've also recently been adding 5-10 gallons of RO in the last 2 water changes.

Anyone have any insight on what causes the beard algae? It only shows up on my driftwood, never on my live plants or on the substrate. I have seen it on some slate in other tanks and various rocks I've placed around the tank.

Default Re: Battling beard algae

What size tank, how much light, do you have pressurized Co2 and do you add ferts?

I believe BBA is a result of an imbalance of light, Co2 and Ferts. Usually it is a case of too much light and not enough Co2 and ferts but regardless there must be a balance. It will grow on some plants, in particular java fern, anubias and some crypts. It seems to like plants that have a stiffer leaf. When I frist got into planted tanks 4 or 5 years ago I thought more light the better. Boy was that a mistake. After sevearly cutting back on light and adding Co2 and ferts the situation improved dramatically.

You can use Seachem Excell to spot treat BBA. Use a syringe, turn off the filters and squirt the excel directly on the BBA. After a few minutes you can turn the filters back on. In a day or so you will notice the BBA change colors, and it is dead. This won't solve the problem though so if you don't fix the cause it will certainly come back again.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Registered Member

Default Re: Battling beard algae

I keep a small school of Siamese algae eaters, and they DESTROY all brush algae and hair algae for me. They might eat java moss or similar plants if you have any. Make sure you are getting true SAE if you decide to get them, read up on the differences between them and the other fish often sold under their name.