AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: So , THinking of another Discus Challenge here at Simply...PLEASE READ!!

Default Re: So , THinking of another Discus Challenge here at Simply...PLEASE READ!!

Al, the one suggestion I would make concerns the weekly post. This was one of the most difficult issues I noticed in the first two contest. Weekly could be real tough when we are talking about a full year. I think you might want to consider a longer period of time between post. Also consider that during the first couple of months a week can make a big difference but after that there isn't much noticeable difference in a weeks time. Just a thought
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Default Re: So , THinking of another Discus Challenge here at Simply...PLEASE READ!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lenin View Post
    But is there a category?
    maybe on strains..

but not rookie, newbie, expert or john nicholson category..
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Well, I won't be able to get into this one, due to timing and availability of fish but I wish I could have! Its gonna be a great contest for sure! I look forward to seeing the challenge unfold and if anything, I'll help with the judging.
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Larry,
    thats a good point...suggestion then on whats more realistical? weekly for the first 3 months? then monthly?

Lenin,

No categories... its unlikely we get several entrants entering the same strains and the same age ..its juts not feasible. I know several have brought this up as something the contest needs..it doesn't though... its a different kind of contest than the first 2 were... and at the end whe we judge the fish... we'll have to modify the judging methods a bit....I've got to think more on that... much of whats currently accepted as criteria will still be used, but I we'll look at other details.. I 'll post on this latter, ideally, its one of the things that I would like that group of volunteer helpers I asked for to work on with me.

what we can do though is look at fish that are entered in the same age range and month..its a thought to work out though....as I am not sure it really is useful without standardizing the care and food...I think growth rates are really going to be all over the place here...actually I am hoping thats the case.

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Well, I won't be able to get into this one, due to timing and availability of fish but I wish I could have! Its gonna be a great contest for sure! I look forward to seeing the challenge unfold and if anything, I'll help with the judging.
    bummer but cool at the same time!
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

I would like to do that but my last batch of babies are older than 2 - 3 weeks old. So far my 4 proven breeding pairs had spawn 13 times so far the eggs batches went to bad. I believe the water is something wrong.

I got email from CRD ( Capital Regional District)

Hi Duncan,

You are most welcome. I have heard that copper is toxic to fish at much lower levels than it is humans. Our water is well within guidelines for human consumption, but perhaps your eggs are more susceptible to the effects?

Best regards,
    Jennifer

Hi Duncan,

The hardness of the water entering our distribution system (after treatment) is approximately 17 mg/L, TDS is around 27 mg/L, and the conductivity is approximately 40 uS/cm. These are median values when taken over the year. You can find data tables for our raw and treated water here.

I hope that answers your questions.

Best regards,
    Jennifer

I am getting so frusrated with the eggs batches are not hatch. But The 4 proven breeding pairs had babies. Last time they were spawning, I saw the males run on the eggs were great job. So I am figured out and solve problems with my water parameter.

Duncan.

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Larry,
    thats a good point...suggestion then on whats more realistical? weekly for the first 3 months? then monthly?

-al
    Weekly for the first three months might work. That's is when most of the change is taking place. I think going to monthly after that may be too long in between. You may lose people with that much time between postings. Maybe every other week or just not be as stringent on the 3 strikes after the first three months.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Real Name
    Rick

At the end of the contest are we to pick one fish from the group of eight to be judged, or will they be judged as a group, or both? Is this what your still working out Al?

Anik's post
    This will be a great reference tool for all of us. Thinking out loud...showing periodic water parameters, fish measurements, etc., would be very nice.
    I think that even though we are starting with different stock, this contest will still prove extremely useful. If everyone understands that the outcomes may be quite variable, we will be able to learn about different techniques that are used to raise the fry. Perhaps, it should be made clear where the stock is coming from. That will help to even out the playing field. I.E. show quality, commercial, home bred, advanced aquarist vs. novice.
    I am rambling. Just my thoughts.
    I am looking forward to see how this progresses. Wonderful idea, Al.
    +1!
    I'm excited & not even competing LOL
    "The more I learn, the more I learn how much I have to learn." ~Charles Schultz

-Trish

Not that I'm the decider but I think the top 3 fish of the group would be ideal. It is tough to grade the whole batch but it can be done.
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Not that I'm the decider but I think the top 3 fish of the group would be ideal. It is tough to grade the whole batch but it can be done.
    I guess my only question with this is is 3 going to be enough to be representative of the grow out method? Could a particular batch only having average care just have a few standouts that skew the results, where as a larger group wouldn't? LOL, I'm having memories of my college stat class from oh so long ago.
    President - North American Discus Association

Quote Originally Posted by shoveltrash View Post
    Anik's post
    +1!
    I'm excited & not even competing LOL
    I could probably remedy that
    And it would be an interesting comparison. Same fish, different city.
    My city was soft water. Your city has hard water (I am guessing)
    Last edited by Harry Marsh; 05-22-2012 at 06:59 PM.

My entry (pending acceptance: I just e-mailed you Al)

Alex Piwow Red Turks.
    These guys are 5? days free swimming

I am a bit interested to see how these compare to other strains. Typically, the Alex Piwow fish develop slower than others (color, at least...maybe not size?)
    Last edited by Harry Marsh; 05-22-2012 at 07:00 PM.

Registered Member

your fish is so lovely , perfect shape !!! i am sure the babies are nice one. I am curious where is the mom?

Quote Originally Posted by pontiac_baron View Post
    My entry (pending acceptance: I just e-mailed you Al)

Alex Piwow Red Turks.
    These guys are 5? days free swimming

I am a bit interested to see how these compare to other strains. Typically, the Alex Piwow fish develop slower than others (color, at least...maybe not size?)

Quote Originally Posted by vicdiscus View Post
    your fish is so lovely , perfect shape !!! i am sure the babies are nice one. I am curious where is the mom?
    Here is mom. She's a cheater with a different male in the garage (she gets very dark with fry)
    Unfortunately, I only have one female, so she gets around! Searching for another

Last edited by Harry Marsh; 05-22-2012 at 07:56 PM.

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast