ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: So , THinking of another Discus Challenge here at Simply...PLEASE READ!!

Registered Member

Default Re: So , THinking of another Discus Challenge here at Simply...PLEASE READ!!

LOl she is so pretty. all your males love her that how you got bunch of babies

Well done with your job raised the babies!!!

cheers
    Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by pontiac_baron View Post
    Here is mom. She's a cheater with a different male in the garage
    Unfortunately, I only have one female, so she gets around! Searching for another

Default Re: So , THinking of another Discus Challenge here at Simply...PLEASE READ!!

Quote Originally Posted by CozyKeith View Post
    I guess my only question with this is is 3 going to be enough to be representative of the grow out method? Could a particular batch only having average care just have a few standouts that skew the results, where as a larger group wouldn't? LOL, I'm having memories of my college stat class from oh so long ago.
    What if, for informational purposes, the size of each fish in the final group of 6-8 were posted at the time of judging? It would help us know about typical vs. standouts. I find myself asking that question... How often am I looking at typical vs. atypical results. It is human nature to show off those "atypicals" more frequently.
    Anik

Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been. - Jimmy Buffet

I'm excited for this. I'm going to try a new pairing. Mother Brutis (aka. Albino 3R2) with Mr. Fertile (Redcover cross, albino gene). I hope they won't be hideous creations! I'll start them as soon as I return from vacation in July.
    ~ Pete
    any advice I give is just that, advice. I say it because it's what works for me.

I would like to say I think weekly updates for the first three months and bi weekly. I think that was one of the disappointments in the first two contest were that there werent enough updates. I personaly like the three strike rule. We are all on this daily some of us are on more then once a day and if you are up to doing the contest Updates are key to the sucess of promoting breeding and what the contest is. If you cant do the up dates then maybe the contestant shouldnt register. Just my two cents! I really like where this is going I hope it goes full swing!!
    Dave Z!
    NADA MEMBER
    Visit my homesteader page http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...hiladelphia-PA

I have some babies lol dime size right now
    SEMPER FI SEMPER PARATUS
    SPQR DEATHKNIGHT WOW

I like. Three strikes

Quote Originally Posted by ockyra215 View Post
    I would like to say I think weekly updates for the first three months and bi weekly. I think that was one of the disappointments in the first two contest were that there werent enough updates. I personaly like the three strike rule. We are all on this daily some of us are on more then once a day and if you are up to doing the contest Updates are key to the sucess of promoting breeding and what the contest is. If you cant do the up dates then maybe the contestant shouldnt register. Just my two cents! I really like where this is going I hope it goes full swing!!

Okay everyone, I'd like to set the contest section up.... Does any one have anymore questions, comments or suggestions. I'm trying to do my here to cover it and give everyone input.

1) Does 3 strikes you are out sound fair?
    2) Does weekly posted updates for the first 3 months sound good?
    3) Does every other week updates sound fair for fish that are 3 months and older?
    4) Does anyone want to shoulder some of the work on the contest and be on the "committee", I have one so far. The catch is you obviously can't be on the "committee" if you are in the contest.
    5) Does anyone have any thoughts or concerns on entry fees? prizes etc.

Also..I'll throw it out here publically, a note to all Sponsors... start thinking about how you can help ... I'll probably be hitting you up as either judges and/or asking for your patronage when the contest is over.

last note... Anik,
    What if, for informational purposes, the size of each fish in the final group of 6-8 were posted at the time of judging? It would help us know about typical vs. standouts. I find myself asking that question... How often am I looking at typical vs. atypical results. It is human nature to show off those "atypicals" more frequently.

Anik
    I think we can have the participants measure and report the length on all the fish in the group at the contest end...good info would be gotten that way.. but I think we should limit the actual Fish judged to 1 or possibly 2 per member. Any one else have thoughts on this.

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Al, yes to all. If for some reason I have to "drop out" (not planning on it but...) I will be happy to help the committee.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Thanks Pat!

-al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Al, yes to all. If for some reason I have to "drop out" (not planning on it but...) I will be happy to help the committee.
    Pat
    Me.. Day After Contest starts..

Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Quote Originally Posted by warlock4169 View Post
    Me.. Day After Contest starts..

LOL Skippy Kramer.... I am sure you can go the discus distance here though....will power man...pure willpower!

-al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    LOL Skippy Kramer.... I am sure you can go the discus distance here though....will power man...pure willpower!

-al
    not sure if i can be MASTER OF MY DOMAIN!
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Al I pm'med ya! I like all the rules you have set! I would say a $25.00 entry fee would be reasonable. To go to cost of the band width any trophy/award. Seems like a very nice contest is getting set to be under way!
    Last edited by ockyra215; 05-24-2012 at 03:22 PM.
    Dave Z!
    NADA MEMBER
    Visit my homesteader page http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...hiladelphia-PA

All of that sounds good Al! I would like to see 2 fish in the final judging. Thats just me
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Real Name
    Rick

Do you get extra points if you get your group to have fry of thier own before the contest is finished

jk

Rick

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast