ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: So , THinking of another Discus Challenge here at Simply...PLEASE READ!!

Default Re: So , THinking of another Discus Challenge here at Simply...PLEASE READ!!

I'm in if the fish cooperate. I'll be putting a pair or two in the breeding cubes right after I get back from NADA.

If the fish don't cooperate or a judge is needed more, I volunteer to judge. After NADA I will be properly trained.
    Mama Bear

Default Re: So , THinking of another Discus Challenge here at Simply...PLEASE READ!!

Now that I think about it more. Since folks are providing their own fish, any sponsors want to sponsor/promote their food?

Sounds like a great idea! It would be interesting to see everyones methods in raising fish for a year. I agree with Van we may need strain specific categories. I am in!
    Dave Z!
    NADA MEMBER
    Visit my homesteader page http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...hiladelphia-PA

Registered Member
    Real Name
    STAN

My current (6) RW's are reaching towards +12 mos old. Tomorrow I expect to receive an additional group of 5" from Kenny's... so . . . m.a.y.b.e. June or July might pan out (I hope).
    Regardless of my eligibility to join in the fun, I will definitely follow the progress reported by all participants.
    Stan

Real Name
    Rick

Sounds like alot of fun...I'm in.

sounds like a few details to work out yet. Couple of questions.

1) If you say have a large spawn of 100+ fish (just throwing a number out there) at what point do you need to choose the twenty?
    2) Are there going to be milestones in which you are required to choose which fish you want to work with? Personally I think this would be a great idea. For instance by 2 months you need to be down to x number, then by 4 months x number, etc.
    3) Final judging criteria. Are all the fish going to be in the same group judging a red turq against a Pigeon blood, or will there be sub groups, then a best in show so to speak?
    4) Documentation, contestestants should be required to post updates with pictures on a predetermined minimum interval. Failure to do so might result in disqualification (at the judges discretion).

And finally, is a breeder that is trying to accomodate local members with fry to raise allowed to have more than one spawning pair? And if he does is he required to only raise fry on one of those pairs? Reason I ask is say I have a spawn of say 60-80 fry. Of which I will most likely take the 20 best to work with. Already, anyone that gets the remainder is at a slight disadvantage, However if I have two-three pairs things change.

ps. This is going to take alot of dedicated web space
    Rick

I'm possibly interested. I have a lot of fry coming along in various stages

Teshi,

There are a few people breeding in Minneapolis and or within a drive of the cities. I sell heckel crosses and GAry from SD has some very nice Turq's

Jim

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by JamesP View Post
    Teshi,

There are a few people breeding in Minneapolis and or within a drive of the cities. I sell heckel crosses and GAry from SD has some very nice Turq's

Jim
    Oh awesome. Will you be having fry about the time of this "challenge"? Gary who?
    We all judge, it's what we do with our judgements that make us who we are.
    Margaret

Al,

I really like this idea. I have raised several batches to full size and appreciate the task at hand. Here are some of the side effects that might happen to those who take on this challenge.
    1. Fishroom will definitely need to be reorganized and possibly new tank/tanks.
    2. With additional tanks a better water change system will be needed(phase one)
    3. Feeding frequency will increase and will require many more trips to the fishroom.
    4. More frequent feedings mean increased water changes and a bigger storage tank will be needed.
    5. As fish grow larger, larger tanks will be needed.
    I would encourage all to participate. Anyone with year old fish should be considered winners and will have bragging rights. Others who don't make it to a year will understand why larger fish cost as much as they do. But the most interesting thing I have experienced was a visitor to my house I posted about a couple of weeks ago.

It was good seeing you the other night. I hope the new guys or gals depending on theories are doing well. The fish in your photos are even more impressive in person. Funny this post came up today. I got a visit from the water department yesterday while I was out of town. My wife(CP Chief Procurement Office) spoke with them. They thought we might have a water leak either with the sprinkler system or somewhere in the house since my water useage was up to 90,000 gallons in the last few months. Heidi assured them there was one major leak and showed them the fishroom. The laughed and agreed they had found the source of the leak. I guess it is time for the reject plumbing project to begin Saturday. At least now the CP won't balk at the price of the plumbing material.

Bring on the contest,

Jim

Real Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by John_Nicholson View Post
    Great plan. If I can get up and running by then I want in.....LOL.

-john
    I've been out of the game for a while but if you do, maybe you could ship me a batch to play with here in fort worth.

man too bad i dont have more space or the money to do this, my tiger turks have spawned a few times in the past months but they are in a community tank and it would be my first go at actually breeding discus which would be cool. but unfortunatly i cant at this time, but if someone raises some nice fish like say some piwow red turks id be in to buying some when the contest is over.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by White Worm View Post
    I've been out of the game for a while but if you do, maybe you could ship me a batch to play with here in fort worth.
    I didn't know you were just down the road!

Homesteader Kingdom Come Discus's Avatar

I live in central KY. I may have some fry to help out a few.
    Kraig

I would also like to say thank you for opening this up to people outside of the U.S. as well!
    ~ Pete
    any advice I give is just that, advice. I say it because it's what works for me.

Interested .... Will not try to breed before NADA though because baby care while gone a week is rough! Hmm or maybe I will give them their cones before I leave and come home to them swimming with Mom and Dad!!

Nicole

Nicole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SOS Crew Texas
    Show Committee for NADA 2014 AUSTIN TX

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast