AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: So , THinking of another Discus Challenge here at Simply...PLEASE READ!!

I may have some fry then if anyone around TN is interested in growing out some hobbyist fry. Parents are Stendker Cobalts.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    “Be curious, not judgmental.”- Walt Whitman

Registered Member

Default Re: So , THinking of another Discus Challenge here at Simply...PLEASE READ!!

Al i would like to do this as well. Let me know Jerry

Default Re: So , THinking of another Discus Challenge here at Simply...PLEASE READ!!

I might be able to join in. The fry from this pair went free swimming this morning 5/17/2012 when the lights were turned on. As long as they don't eat them.

Last edited by Discusgeo2; 05-17-2012 at 12:25 PM.
    George

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

George, I am starting this early with you as my Tefe fry went free swimming yesterday and attachment is well under way. I have PMed Al for the documentation requirements.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

I also have some fry from a Snakeskin pair a couple of days old also. I will get a photo of them this afternoon
    George

Real Name
    Rick

If given a two month window it seems that it would be better to start this up in July-August to give those that don't currently have a breeding pair a chance to get together what they need. If the window is much larger than that it might get a bit confusing with people with 4 month old juveniles at the same time others have 3 day old fry? I dunno, just throwing that out there.....

Rick

Real Name
    Pat

Rick, my problem is if I do not join now then I will most likely not be able to participate. I can not encourage my wild pair to spawn with a WC. I am sure the year timeline can be applied to everyone and once your documentation thread reaches a year it ends. The fish can all be judged at the end of everyone's year with the results recorded in each thread.

One thing to think of is that NADA is smack in the middle of that two month window.

This would be very cool.

Mishka

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Rick, my problem is if I do not join now then I will most likely not be able to participate. I can not encourage my wild pair to spawn with a WC. I am sure the year timeline can be applied to everyone and once your documentation thread reaches a year it ends. The fish can all be judged at the end of everyone's year with the results recorded in each thread.
    If we adopt Als initial guidelines ("...I would propose that we have a window of registration of 2 months... June and July... The fish would have to go free swimming in that window") then your spawn isn't eligable. What if it gets pushed back till July/Aug? Your fish would be months ahead of all the other contestants.

Real Name
    Rick

Don't get me wrong Pat, I don't care either way. I, Like you, have some fry roughly the same age. But that doesn't neccessarily mean you can't participate, it just means you can't participate with that pair. I hope as many people as possible decide not to get fry from another breeder, but to give it a go with thier own pair. I am sure many would walk away not thinking why are discus so expensive, but rather, how do the breeders manage to sell them so cheap?

Rick

Real Name
    Rick

I just think from a management side of things, the larger the window, the more work.

I love the idea! Now if only I could get my "pair" to get busy in their private suite like they were in the main tank...
    Stacey

Real Name
    Pat

No problem guys, happy to withdraw. You do realize we are talking about a two week window.
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 05-17-2012 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    Don't get me wrong Pat, I don't care either way. I, Like you, have some fry roughly the same age. But that doesn't neccessarily mean you can't participate, it just means you can't participate with that pair. I hope as many people as possible decide not to get fry from another breeder, but to give it a go with thier own pair. I am sure many would walk away not thinking why are discus so expensive, but rather, how do the breeders manage to sell them so cheap?

Rick
    Rick my fry are 2 wks old & I'm already wondering that lol.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast