AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help please? treating gill flukes?

Registered Member

Default Help please? treating gill flukes?

i have 10 adults discus and just found out after reading and asking a friend of mine who has a very good knowledge with discus that my discus has gill flukes? i went and bought metro and i wonder how to start the treatment ? my ph is 6.8 and my temp is 86 and no ammonia what so ever? please help me how can I start the treatment with them. thanks and lloking forward to hear from you guys.

Default Re: Help please? treating gill flukes?

what makes u suspect flukes?
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Registered Member

flashing and scratching their bodies against other objects in the tank like heater or filter outlet also dark in color and staying in the back of the tank also breathing from one side. thanks

ummm..
    ya.. you need to fill this out.. i suspect something else..

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...lease-complete
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

I too request questionnaire, I suspect something else as well. There may be gill flukes but I doubt that is the only problem and I suspect possible external parasites.

Registered Member

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

its started about a week and half ago after recovering from a PH problem by going from 6.8 to 6.4 then i did a water change then it went up again then everything have been figured out.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)
    symptoms are turning dark and not eating flashing and darting clamped gills

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.
    about start using metro and its has been recommended from a friend mine his name is james and the owner of WVdiscus.com

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish
    tank is 120 gallon tall and al fish are adults and 10 fish in the tank with some cardinals and rummy nose who have been with the discus for more them 5 months.

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?
    i use silica sand in the tank and its a very thin layer I use tap water and i do 50% water change a week

6 Parameters and water source;
    no ammonia problems what so ever
    - temp _____86

- ph _____ 6.8

- ammonia reading ____

- nitrite reading ____

- nitrate reading ____

- well water ____

- municipal water ____

7. Any new fish/plants added recently
    i added for adults discus a month ago and they came in from the same source i buy all my fish from

for now.. you need need to increase water changes to at least 50% if not more.. more often..

your tank is large.. but it still need to do more water changes.. at least for now..

you need to rule out water quality.. those signs are them telling ya.. the water is no bueno..
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and Homesteader TNT77's Avatar

You added 4 discus with no quarantine?
    Tara Bennett
    Phone: 815-876-0516

Quote Originally Posted by TNT77 View Post
    You added 4 discus with no quarantine?
    missed that..
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

I would like to know how you "fixed"your PH swings? Are you aging your water? That is the only viable solution to Ph swings and other inconsistencies. As warlock said, first things first, improve their water quality by doing more water changes. Do 50 percent changes for a few days and see how that effects them. (note that if your getting Ph swings from not aging your water this may be a not so good thing). I suspect possible gill flukes but possibly some external parasites as well, for that reason I would like to see what improving water quality does prior to recommending a course of medication.

Registered Member

I am going to increase the water changes but not sure if i should 50% everyday or every other day? all my discus came from the source so as far as my knowledge goes i didn't have to quarantine them even my fish paired up with some of the new ones and they spawned. what i had the PH issue i brought it back to where it was by using the discus buffer and i did it slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by ialtalal View Post
    I am going to increase the water changes but not sure if i should 50% everyday or every other day? all my discus came from the source so as far as my knowledge goes i didn't have to quarantine them even my fish paired up with some of the new ones and they spawned. what i had the PH issue i brought it back to where it was by using the discus buffer and i did it slowly.
    discus buffer is crap.. missing with ph is not smart.. discus want consistant water parameters.. it don't matter what it is..

trust me when i tell you.. water quality is a better bet, then a ph issue.. heck i haven't measure ph in 2 yrs..

you should always qt ANY FISH..

why would you NOT do daily water changes and rule that part out..
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by warlock4169 View Post
    discus buffer is crap.. missing with ph is not smart.. discus want consistant water parameters.. it don't matter what it is..

trust me when i tell you.. water quality is a better bet, then a ph issue.. heck i haven't measure ph in 2 yrs..

you should always qt ANY FISH..

why would you NOT do daily water changes and rule that part out..
    what do you want me to do now?

Registered Member

i really need to know what to do here step by step? as i feel like i am lost right. these fish have been with me for a year now

just do reg water changes.. with no buffer.. thats all you can do.. and observe..
    Last edited by Skip; 05-23-2012 at 12:21 AM.
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast