ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help please? treating gill flukes?

Registered Member

Default Re: Help please? treating gill flukes?

[QUOTE=warlock4169;895044]just do reg water changes.. with not duffer.. thats all you can do.. and observe..[/QUOTESo
    so just do 50% water change everyday?

yes...

rule out Water Quatlity before you start MEDS..

meds are hard on the fish.. they don't just BOUNCE BACK from Damage..

they need time to heal and cleanest environment will help speed that up..
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by warlock4169 View Post
    yes...

rule out Water Quatlity before you start MEDS..

meds are hard on the fish.. they don't just BOUNCE BACK from Damage..

they need time to heal and cleanest environment will help speed that up..
    thanks

Registered Member

if there is any other suggestions that will also help let me know guys?

The suggestions you have are your best bet right now. Folks here can be a bit short with very accurate advice - remember, they probably give that same advice hundreds of time a year.

Good water quality is the best way to prevent problems with discus - and it is also the best way to solve them. Your discus have an immune system that fights off all the bad things in the water - just like you have an immune system that fights off all the bad things in the air. When the discus immune system is weak because of poor water quality - then it can't fight off all the bad things in the water (you will never have water without microorganisms in it). So if you improve the quality of the water through water changes, give the discus a stable consistent environment, their immune system gets stronger and they can usually fight off whatever ails them. After you've supported their immune system and strengthened their natural defenses, if they still need help - then you start looking at medications.

Always treat for a specific problem with meds - which usually requires identifying exactly what is wrong. There are many things that present the same symptoms as gill flukes. (Likely the single most misdiagnosed ailment in discus - in my opinion.) So, for now, clean water - stable environment - no meds - and pay attention to see if anything changes. If so - seek more advice here before throwing medication into the water. Good luck! You're in good hands here.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by aalbina View Post
    The suggestions you have are your best bet right now. Folks here can be a bit short with very accurate advice - remember, they probably give that same advice hundreds of time a year.

Good water quality is the best way to prevent problems with discus - and it is also the best way to solve them. Your discus have an immune system that fights off all the bad things in the water - just like you have an immune system that fights off all the bad things in the air. When the discus immune system is weak because of poor water quality - then it can't fight off all the bad things in the water (you will never have water without microorganisms in it). So if you improve the quality of the water through water changes, give the discus a stable consistent environment, their immune system gets stronger and they can usually fight off whatever ails them. After you've supported their immune system and strengthened their natural defenses, if they still need help - then you start looking at medications.

Always treat for a specific problem with meds - which usually requires identifying exactly what is wrong. There are many things that present the same symptoms as gill flukes. (Likely the single most misdiagnosed ailment in discus - in my opinion.) So, for now, clean water - stable environment - no meds - and pay attention to see if anything changes. If so - seek more advice here before throwing medication into the water. Good luck! You're in good hands here.

Adam
    Excellent post Adam! I just touched on this exact topic in the basics section for someone asking about meds to keep on hand.
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member Northwoods Discus's Avatar

Also, you do not treat gill flukes with "metro" (metronidazole). Metro is an antibiotic used for protozoa like Hexamita. Other treatments are used for flukes such as praziquantal "prazi" or "pp" potassium permanganate, and others. You received bad advise or mis information from your first source. Stick with the water quality issue first as mentioned and go from there. You did not give readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate on your disease questionare.
    Sometimes you sit and think, sometimes you just sit.
    Kenny ring gene leopards, Piwowarski RT and RSG, Big blue cobalt.
    220 display, 150 office tank, fish room.

just a thought.......only apply if it turn out to be a parasite issue............ it just sounds like internal parasite more than gill flukes.....
    i use med from sunrise topical to go mrdiscus website

good luck...when i first start i didnt qC my fish and i get sick fish all the time and get the fish at the same store but it turn out the fish that the store always got parasite with the discus ......

this is my experience for the past two years.....

good luck hope it helps

Good advice here from aalbina, Eddie, and Northwoods Discus. One should stick with observation first, and pay particular attention to water quality as a first step in dealing with a health problem, primarily by way of frequent, large wcs, before even considering undertaking medication of any kind.

And without wishing to split hairs, but simply to set the record straight for the OP, there has been some confusing commentary in this thread to the effect that it is suspected the OP's problem may not be gill flukes, but an rather external parasite, the implication being that gill flukes are something other than that - not so - gill and skin flukes are in fact external parasites.

Registered Member

So this what i understand so far from this thread? doing water changes will be the only thing to treat my discus with. if this the case? how should i do it? the way i usually do my water changes is I get water from my tap and put prime in it? is this the right way? because from my what i understand from other people who had discus before doing a 50% water change this wat everyday is very stressful and example for this would be like going from summer to winter or winter to summer everyday. and adding to what my is going on with my fish already, today i saw my fish flashing and darting and they are swimming to the top corner scratching their bodies against the heater in the tank. i know i said in the beginning its gill flukes but at this point i am very confuse and Don't what to do at this point? i had somebody today telling they have fungus after i told them about the scratching and swimming to the top corner. I never had any problems with my discus before and this the first and to this point i feel lost. thanks to everybody that has been fallowing my thread and giving the best advise they could I appreciate it

If you know your water is fine then try quick cure. some water needs aging some does not if yours need aging and your adding straight to the tank the micro bubbles if any could be the problem too. without the questionnaire filled out completely guesses are farther off.
    clean water consistent water is the first step.
    Jim

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jimg View Post
    If you know your water is fine then try quick cure. some water needs aging some does not if yours need aging and your adding straight to the tank the micro bubbles if any could be the problem too. without the questionnaire filled out completely guesses are farther off.
    clean water consistent water is the first step.
    I do see bubbles on the glass of the tank every time i do a water change?

that could be why they are flashing. that is one reason everyone was giving the advice to make sure water is not the problem before medicating. try to get a container like a brute garbage can and add airstone and heater let water sit overnight until it is the same temp as your tank. the winter summer example you were asking about will only happen if you wait to long between wc's and then change a large amount. if you find your routine as to how much you need to change a day or every few days depending on feed ,bio load water make up etc then you will be able to keep it consistent and the fish will be healthier
    Jim

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jimg View Post
    that could be why they are flashing. that is one reason everyone was giving the advice to make sure water is not the problem before medicating. try to get a container like a brute garbage can and add airstone and heater let water sit overnight until it is the same temp as your tank. the winter summer example you were asking about will only happen if you wait to long between wc's and then change a large amount. if you find your routine as to how much you need to change a day or every few days depending on feed ,bio load water make up etc then you will be able to keep it consistent and the fish will be healthier
    So do you think today I shouldn't do a water change and just put some water in a container with an air stone and heater and let sit overnight? because yesterday I did 50% water change as other suggested here
    Last edited by ialtalal; 05-23-2012 at 08:24 PM.

any water added to the tank if the ph changes over night or micro bubbles should be aged. if fish are showing signs of problems change 75%+ water 1x a day min but aged water.
    Jim

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast