ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Help please? treating gill flukes?

Registered Member

Default Re: Help please? treating gill flukes?

Quote Originally Posted by ialtalal View Post
    I did test my water and everything looked good everything at 0 and ph at 7.6
    Did you do the test yourself?

Please post the results of the test:

Ammonia:
    Nitrate:
    Nitrite:

Results of the aging for pH swing at first draw, 12 hours and 24.

Adam

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brokenrack View Post
    Did you do the test yourself?
    yes i did it myself and then i double checked with the guy at my LFS

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by aalbina View Post
    Please post the results of the test:

Ammonia:
    Nitrate:
    Nitrite:

Results of the aging for pH swing at first draw, 12 hours and 24.

Adam

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Ammonia: 0
    Nitrate:0
    Nitrite:0

what do you mean by Results of the aging for pH swing at first draw, 12 hours and 24?

Nitrate readings of zero after 12 hours is a little bit suspect ... I would expect it to be at 2-5 ppm. Do have plants in your tank?

How are you testing ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

What kind of filtration do you have in your 120?

What I meant by pH is what I posted before: here it is again --

4. If you have a pH test kit: take glass of water from the tap, check the pH and record it. Wait 12 hours with that glass of water just sitting on the counter, test the pH of that same glass of water again and record it. If there is no change - wait 12 more hours and test again. The difference in the first pH test and the last will tell you if you need to age your water because of a natural pH swing. If the change is more than .2 then you should age your water. So 6.8 to 7.0 is OK 6.8 to 7.8 is too much - it's actually ten times more not 1 - pH is a logarithmic curve. If there is a big change - then you can age your water or do several small water changes a day. I highly recommend aging the water if you have more than a .2 swing. It will stress your fish over time.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by ialtalal View Post
    Ammonia: 0
    Nitrate:0
    Nitrite:0

what do you mean by Results of the aging for pH swing at first draw, 12 hours and 24?

Registered Member

Nitrate readings of zero after 12 hours is a little bit suspect ... I would expect it to be at 2-5 ppm. Do have plants in your tank?

4. If you have a pH test kit: take glass of water from the tap, check the pH and record it. Wait 12 hours with that glass of water just sitting on the counter, test the pH of that same glass of water again and record it. If there is no change - wait 12 more hours and test again. The difference in the first pH test and the last will tell you if you need to age your water because of a natural pH swing. If the change is more than .2 then you should age your water. So 6.8 to 7.0 is OK 6.8 to 7.8 is too much - it's actually ten times more not 1 - pH is a logarithmic curve. If there is a big change - then you can age your water or do several small water changes a day. I highly recommend aging the water if you have more than a .2 swing. It will stress your fish over time.

Adam
    I have no plants in my tank. I am using a rena XP3. i am going to try and the ph test you recommended and i will should find out what should i do about the ph

Registered Member

Adam
    I have test kits and i also double check with the LFS that next my house

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567