ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: worth 60 bux???

Registered Member

Question worth 60 bux???

Ok, soooooooo what makes a discus worth 60 dollars??? Ive got all kinds of cichlids and love my discus BUT what makes them worth 60 dollars....OR 30 even????Other cichlids are hard to breed ...just as pretty.....behave similarly...hmmmm i can go locally to guys with spotless pidgeon bloods and buy them for 10 dollars in there basements.....i like to read alot right....lmao...and i find it humorous every were i go on the internet everybody has the BEST discus...they all come free of fish STD'S... and come with a guarantee...but at the end of the day (IN MY OPINION)the breeders send out the worst lookin of the batch..(patterns specifically).. keepin the best in shop for when customers come in...Would only seem like good business practice eh... I mean nobody really wants to walk in somewere and buy a ugly fish for 30-60 dollars right.....soooo how do you kno ur really getting the best looking of the batch???Soooo my question remains why so much...it just seems like the breeders try to control the market like they do with diamonds.........take a common commodity and control the amount released to the public ...... I read a article in tropical fish(Bought about 20 of em at auction from about10 years ago) were jack wattley had a friend who had amazing looking discus and when he asked how he did it he responded there just fish....Any other opinions

Default Re: worth 60 bux???

Do you have pictures of the pigeon bloods? Just curious to see what you got for 10 dollars. Also, at what size and age did you get them?
    - Dan

The value of the fish depends on the quality of your eye.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

sure tell me how to get around the 85 kb pic and i will post them (it keeps saying the files to big?)....i think the 10 dollare pidgeon blood thing is probably because most basement breeders dont have the means to push them like a established hatchery....they look pretty good imo very little spotting good clean red lines on white....but still what makes em worth 60 bux?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    The value of the fish depends on the quality of your eye.
    I like that

Registered Member

Read many threads on this site and visit one on the site sponsors near you. Take a 100 mile drive if you need to get to one. Beauty in a fish is always in the eye of the beholder. Discus have a beauty and elegance as they swim around. I think that they are without a doubt the most beautiful fresh water fish. There may be more beautiful salt water fish but you cannot match the calming, beauty and elegance of a fresh water planted tank with Discus. I can tell you have not read a lot on this site or you'd know that "60 bux" don't buy much Discus.

Registered Member

sorry missed the size and age only got one he got pickd on a bit when i had em in a 55 ....got 125 off craigslist 2.6-30 inches didnt ask how old Got him from a guy in granite city in the missouri aquaium society

Registered Member

I can't believe anyone answered this thread. He obviously has an ax to grind and isn't the sharpest tool in the the shed.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Elliots View Post
    Read many threads on this site and visit one on the site sponsors near you. Take a 100 mile drive if you need to get to one. Beauty in a fish is always in the eye of the beholder. Discus have a beauty and elegance as they swim around. I think that they are without a doubt the most beautiful fresh water fish. There may be more beautiful salt water fish but you cannot match the calming, beauty and elegance of a fresh water planted tank with Discus. I can tell you have not read a lot on this site or you'd know that "60 bux" don't buy much Discus.
    No your wrong i read alot and can tell you that maybe on THIS site 60 buxs does not get you much discus thats correct so thats why im asking what makes yours so special????? Basement breeders turn out exactly the same thing i can buy at macs or rockymountain or discusmadness so on and so forth i agree i would travel far for a good looking fish but if you think that discus are the prettiest fresh water fish out there that is your opinion and i think you should get out more buddy

Registered Member

i have noo ax to grind all i did was ask a simple question

Registered Member

i think everybody sould have access to fish it brings me and my daughter closer everyday i just think everyone should have access to them and 60 dollars is to high let alone the people who pay 100's of dollars

I have to disagree with your basement breeder statement.Some might have the same quality,but deffinatley not all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bill63SG View Post
    I have to disagree with your basement breeder statement.Some might have the same quality,but deffinatley not all.
    I agree with that

Also around here about $10 and inch is the rule of thumb,so to get on to the size for $60-100,the time,food,meds,is not unreasonable,especially if you've tried growing them out first and realize the time involved.Also wc's.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

Registered Member

2 inch 20 dollars i could understand better then 2 inch 100 bux and when your the guy at home with 100 discus trying to get rid of hem so u dont have that overhead food meds water etc 10-15bux is pretty goodeh? esp when ur fish r ur hobby right? breeding them is just kinda part of doing something you love

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast