ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast

Thread: Withdrawn: Pat's Contest Fish Wild Tefe F1 "Batch B"

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Withdrawn from Contest: Pat's Contest Fish Wild Tefe F1 "Batch B"

Shawn, I have found that PP does not inhibit the fish's appetite like some of the meds do.

Registered Member

Default Withdrawn from Contest: Pat's Contest Fish Wild Tefe F1 "Batch B"

I agree, but the illness hit them hard before I could make a solid decision on treatment. They were off their feed for a few days and I reduced temps in fear of a bacterial attack. My lack of experience there was evident. I was not able to find anything in the scope.

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by shawnhu View Post
    I agree, but the illness hit them hard before I could make a solid decision on treatment. They were off their feed for a few days and I reduced temps in fear of a bacterial attack. My lack of experience there was evident. I was not able to find anything in the scope.
    Shawn, I suffer from that too...lack of experience and why a contest like this will mature us as discus keepers and hobbyists.

Real Name
    Pat

I read a remark in one of the other contestants thread which frankly made me mad and I do not get mad easy. I entered this contest for the fun and to do something a little different with raising wild F1s. I was already raising one batch of F1 from egg and figured raising the fish for the contest would be a cakewalk. That do not happen. I had issues from the get go and after seven or so months and down to three fish I withdrew from the contest.

My experience proved Al's point that raising eight fish is not easy, requires a lot of commitment and really a love for the hobby to be successful. I entered the contest with the full, honest intent of seeing it through, enjoying the experience and hopefully having one or two nicely spotted fish at the end.

I did not withdraw the fish for selfish reasons but felt I had nothing left to work with so if that leaves me with issues so be it.

Pat

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    I read a remark in one of the other contestants thread which frankly made me mad and I do not get mad easy. I entered this contest for the fun and to do something a little different with raising wild F1s. I was already raising one batch of F1 from egg and figured raising the fish for the contest would be a cakewalk. That do not happen. I had issues from the get go and after seven or so months and down to three fish I withdrew from the contest.

My experience proved Al's point that raising eight fish is not easy, requires a lot of commitment and really a love for the hobby to be successful. I entered the contest with the full, honest intent of seeing it through, enjoying the experience and hopefully having one or two nicely spotted fish at the end.

I did not withdraw the fish for selfish reasons but felt I had nothing left to work with so if that leaves me with issues so be it.

Pat
    Anyone who would say otherwise at best doesn't know you worth a hoot.
    President - North American Discus Association

Real Name
    Mauro

Quote Originally Posted by CozyKeith View Post
    Anyone who would say otherwise at best doesn't know you worth a hoot.
    +!

Pat, you are one of the most devoted and generous members of this community and I think almost everyone here knows that. Simply ignore comments that suggest otherwise.

Real Name
    Pat

Thanks guys, that one remark so rubbed me the wrong way. Widely cast nets do catch untended fish but still

Real Name
    Tim Allen

Default Re: Pat's Contest Fish Wild Tefe F1 "Batch B"

Well guys, I thought I was on the road to success with these guys but alas it was not meant to be. This past weekend I noticed red worms hanging out of the bottoms of the batch A F1 Tefes and after talking to Al it is Camallanus I decided I needed to treat all the F1s including the contest fish after seeing one of the red worms on the tank bottom. I treated with flubendazole (UK wormer) and I lost one of the contest fish and another looks iffy to me leaving me with three fish. I will need to retreat in three weeks.

So instead of dragging this out with now substandard fish it is time to cull what is left and call it a day. I tried really hard to make this work but seems it was not meant to be. I keep reminding myself that I am very new with this fry rearing especially with F1 wilds.

I will say I learned alot being a contestant and I hope to be part of future contests. I also wish the best for the remaining contestants. There are many nice contest fish and I look forward to watching them grow into amazing adults.

Pat
    That is no good to hear you done well to get the wilds to breed and raise sucessfully. I had a similar senario not long ago a great pair of pigeon SS had the fry at 5 weeks going great around 70 fry and then a heater controler malfunctioned 50C so 122F in your scale left with 3 now none....................... It is a learning curve and ways to improve and processes. atm the weather is too warm and the water temp with no heater is around the 30c - 86 which is touch high for any spawns for the time. Frustrating as I got buyers waiting just need to get rolling........................
    Thanks Timmy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Follow me on FaceBook Time Bomb Discus
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/213399702163350/
    Or all enquiries timebombdiscus@outlook.com.au

Registered Member

Pat
    Pat, I have not had a chance to read any other contestant's posts, so I'm not sure what the context is, but I can relate. I'm sure you've seen the barrage of pressure I've had to face on my thread, and I know the feeling of being misunderstood. If it's one thing I've learned from this contest, is that some folks really do have it hard on anyone outside of their elite circle.

With that said, I can tell from your posts that you are an alright gal, and until now, we've not directly addressed one another's posts. You can tell a lot from ones character based on how they carry themselves, even on the Internet.

Keep your head high, because my gut tells me you are above those that sling frivolous accusations.

That, and you attempted a HARD one raising Wilds. I've raised a few batches of fish from 1", but I can't imagine even getting wilds to breed.

Real Name
    Pat

Shawn, I am mighty impressed with the way you have handled yourself regarding the pressure applied in your contest thread. You are willing to see it through until the end. It takes alot of character to continue, most would have thrown in the towel. I wish you and your spouse the best on your upcoming little one. Parenthood is the best . I know, been there, done that.
    Pat

Registered Member

Pat, I'm looking forward to it, and now I realize why the one thing parents wish for is a healthy baby.

About the thread, I have people PM me giving me a lot of support, and I have to admit, they are the ones that I'm doing this for. That's the least I can do to give back to SD.

As a newbie, I enjoy these threads immensely. I am falling in love again and again. I hate I waited so long to start keeping discus, they are so beautiful. You guys are doing something wonderful and I'm glad to be learning from what you are doing!!

Default Re: Withdrawn: Pat's Contest Fish Wild Tefe F1 "Batch B"

HI Pat, I just read the complete Pat's adventure (Pat's Contest Fish Wild Tefe F1 "Batch B"). Thank you for taking the time to note your Discus fry progress with us. I've learned so mush just reading your updates and the members feedback's. BTW, I forgot to watch today's Sunday Night Football game because of it!!! Thank you very much Pat.

Real Name
    Pat

Thanks Vic, there is another thread called "Wild Tefe Spawn" which documents my first wild spawn. It is a long but fun thread with lots of pictures and videos. Put the title in the search box if you care to take a gander.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Hi Pat,
    From what I have read you have given much sound advice and opinions on these forums. We all admire someone who knows when to throw in the towel and regroup, look at the situation, refigure and execute a new and revised staggery. This type of individuals usually succeed with long term goals. I have not read the post that is being referred to but from my own readings from past posts of yours, which I have found to be sound, informative and non condescending, you do not need to put someone down to make a point. Your identity here is based on experience, and solid knowledge. I have found wolf packs on these forums that seem to rip or act as provocateurs with the sole purpose of procuring a position for superior identity. Don't let them get to you! I gather from your personal character you will succeed at what ever you endeavor.
    Last edited by dirtyplants; 12-23-2013 at 01:49 PM.
    Coree

Life is maintenance, happiness if flexibility,
    May you stay forever young.

Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast