AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New @LFS albino orange finned Sterbi

Registered Member

Default New @LFS albino orange finned Sterbi

I was at my LFS yesterday in NYC. They had albino orange finned Sterbi. They did not look like albino C. aeneus. They were not small, maybe 1" long. They were either 2/$50 or 3/$50. I have no questions about these fish. I know C. Sterbi are a common fish with Discus on this site. I've never seen them before, this is just a notice they exist.

Default Re: New @LFS albino orange finned Sterbi

You should have snapped some pics!!! they sound pretty

Registered Member

on dalancey street maybe?

Real Name
    Dan

i think inland empire had some. he is a sponsor here on SD. they sound extremely overpriced to me.
    -i got some sterbies from mmorris on this site and they are doing great, maybe send her a PM as well

Registered Member

Rubin, Delancy St. is correct. They seem very knowledgeable about fish with a good selection of plants. I have not looked at their Discus too closely. The Discus do not hide, their fins are open, their eyes look good to me. They do not have the color types I like so I am not buying. Where do you live in NYC. I live on Sullivan St. between Prince and Spring.

Registered Member

East village. there's one store on elizabeth street in little italy supposedly carries NICE discus at good prices.

Registered Member

I did not see one on Elizabeth Street but there are two on Mott St. A corner about 3-4 blocks south of Houston that I heard had great Discus but every time I've been in there in the past few months, no Discus. I think the Discus business (Wild imports) is seasonal and the season is Winter to early Spring. There is another store a few doors below the corner that sells some of the smallest sized fish I've ever seen. They always have some Discus for sale. I have no opinion on their Discus, I do not look so close and they sell fast. Rubin, my tank arrives Sun. June 17th. I hope for Discus between late August and late September. I will take a drive to Hans in MD. when I am ready to buy and Hans has time to see me. My name is Elliot Silber, I am a Dentist, call my office in Harlem 212 860 0130
    to chat. Just say you are a friend and you will be put thru.

I've wandered up and down manhattan and found there isn't a single store that can compare on the quality/price spectrum (shipping included) of kenny and (if you can drive there) bob down in NJ. I think the store on delancey, just east of mott st store, is great for many other, non-discus fish (especially with their buy 2 get 1 sale... 21 cardinals for $15, etc).

Like almost all of NY, the discus here are overpriced. As someone who can be a bit cheap, buying from a sponsor and paying the shipping is a better deal.

Edit: Fishtown in queens is nice, and they occasionally have cheap discus, but it's always very young, very small discus. You need to get them before they stunt. Also, they have a great selection and are clean, but if you ask about anything they'll try to sell you the moon (i.e., I once asked about an air pump and they tried to sell me an $80 air pump for a 20g tank).
    Last edited by Innivus; 05-31-2012 at 12:38 AM.

Registered Member

Hey Elliot, so you ended up ordering your tank from Canada? I will be attempting building a 60 gallon cube 24x24x24 starphire for my first ever 5-6 discus that i hope to get in september. how many gallons will your tank be? DDS eh? Can't remember last time i was in dentist's chair haha!!

Real Name
    Discus Hans

Quote Originally Posted by Innivus View Post
    especially with their buy 2 get 1 sale...
    I've tried that once, pay 2 get 1.......... didn't work lol lol

Hans
    I've changed the Discus World.
    Visit our online store at: www.discusfishstore.com
    All advice I give, is because I've good results with it, you're free to copy it. It's not a rule, it's just my way. Ohhhh and don't take me serious, I'm most of the time kidding

Registered Member

Hans, I am glad that someone else caught that "Buy 2 get 1 sale" besides me. Too bad you can't do that in your business. The actual sale is "Buy 2 get 1 free". I don't think it is a sale, it may be the usual price policy.
    Rubin, I ordered from Glasscages. None of the bad reviews are recent. Remember "Bad news travels fast, good news doesn't travel." Nobody was within $1000 of their price of $1015 with 3 sides Starfire including delivery to White Plains. I have hired movers to pick it up with me there. I will check over the tank carefully before I accept delivery. Tank is 150 gallon. I wanted 31' high instead of 25" but my tank will be on a stand against a wall and that height means maintenance problems as it will be difficult to get to the bottom.

Registered Member

Innivus, I am from Queens and I've been to Fishtown, nice store! When I am there they do not have the Discus type I want. I like Alenquers and other wild color types in the golden brown/brown/red brown color range. Bob in NJ is supposed to be good as is Kenny I would not hesitate to buy from either. I will drive to Hans because he has the "Flavors" I like. I want to see my fish so that limits me. I considered flying to Florida to see Snookie23 (I think that is correct, he is a SD sponsor it Ft Myers, Fla. ). I checked with Homeland Security to see if I could carry back Discus on the plane without checking them into baggage. They said if the liquid has fish in it you can carry it on the plane. I checked with two airlines, neither would allow me to carry them on. I figured what I'd save on shipping would reduce the cost of the flight. But all in all Hans is best for me.

Registered Member

Babyjizay, I am old and low tech, I do not know how to post photos on this site. I'll learn in June. The store is Pacific Aquarium on Delancy Street. They are open 7 days and are worth a visit, nice fish, great plants. Maybe the best in NYC for plants. They are not real close to any subway stops, about a 1/4 mile from the Delancy St. station.

Registered Member

Rubin, before you make your tank think about the size. By tank size is limited by the space available in my apartment. If you do 24X24X24 the fish have a max. swimming distance of 24". I am not a fish behaviorist but I think fish would like to swim a longer distance. If that is the max. available space that's it. If not I'd consider different dimensions. Please remember two things about tanks, bigger is better, more stable and you will probably not upgrade your tank size in the near future. Sorry I cannot PM you as sometimes PM does not work for me.

Registered Member

that was my dilemma precisely about the dimensions... the only reason i'd make it is because i LOVE cubes. I have a regular 55 sittin in the basement but don't really have a place to put it at my parents place, maybe when i get my own in sept options will open up. Good luck with the tank, when are you getting it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast