ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Food for 3 week old Fry

Default Food for 3 week old Fry

I was wondering what food to give to 3 week old fry. I just took them away from the parents. I have been giving them crushed Tetra Color bits. They seem to like it. Was wondering what else. I guess another choice would be frozen baby brine shrimp. Any other suggestions. Their mouth are so small...

Registered Member

Default Re: Food for 3 week old Fry

If you could get some live brine shrimp going that would be good for them and easy to eat. Also micro worms, golden pearls and when they get bigger grindal worms and white worms. Love to see some pics.

Quote Originally Posted by bronzie8 View Post
    If you could get some live brine shrimp going that would be good for them and easy to eat. Also micro worms, golden pearls and when they get bigger grindal worms and white worms. Love to see some pics.
    Trying not to go live with the shrimp

Not raising fry on bbs is about impossible. I'm an old fart, have tried about everything, including those mentioned and many more. Until they can graze on the bottom, the amount of benefical goodies the brine shrimp yield to the fry is pretty hard to replicate. Movement triggers feeding response, and besides, it's easy. Best of luck. Gary
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

Freeze Dried Black Worms cut up Frozen beef Heart and ground up Super Beef Heart Flake are what I fed mine. They loved it all. And all of it can be found through Sponsors here. I will post some links for you.

Mishka

I am not sure why you do not want to feed the live BBS but you can get this:

IGO Pro http://www.igopro-online.com/Ocean-N...p/onbbs20g.htm
    Aquatic Suppliers http://www.aquaticsuppliers.com/Free...d-foods_c2.htm (This is Al From Simply)

Inland Empire Discus http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...-GROWTH-UPDATE

HTH

Mishka

Quote Originally Posted by chaoslite View Post
    I am not sure why you do not want to feed the live BBS but you can get this:

IGO Pro http://www.igopro-online.com/Ocean-N...p/onbbs20g.htm
    Aquatic Suppliers http://www.aquaticsuppliers.com/Free...d-foods_c2.htm (This is Al From Simply)

Inland Empire Discus http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...-GROWTH-UPDATE

HTH

Mishka
    Didn't want to do set up for brine shrimp because I have 5 aquariums on the go including small red cherry shrimp tank. The wife is getting upset with all this stuff as it is and i am running out of space.. Thanks Mishka for the links..

Registered Member

be very carefull if you are going to use the instant stuff. it makes a very big mess in your tank and is very expensive. my angels liked it but sure made a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmjeff View Post
    be very carefull if you are going to use the instant stuff. it makes a very big mess in your tank and is very expensive. my angels liked it but sure made a mess.
    Having thought it through, I think I will go with the live BS if its better for the fry. Will do that pop bottle setup thingy.....

in the meantime, you can also use fdbw ground up in a coffe grinder pre soaked before fed, hikari first bites, flake food ran thru coffe grinder, and frozen cyclops. I had a bad batch of bbs eggs and my current batch of fry didnt get bbs. I guess I was lucky, they stayed on the parents for around 3 wks and then went straight to those foods and frozen bbs. I think because it was a fairly large spawn they followed the more aggressive siblings. Also I practically had them swimming in food for the first few weeks.
    “Be curious, not judgmental.”- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by JenTN View Post
    in the meantime, you can also use fdbw ground up in a coffe grinder pre soaked before fed, hikari first bites, flake food ran thru coffe grinder, and frozen cyclops. I had a bad batch of bbs eggs and my current batch of fry didnt get bbs. I guess I was lucky, they stayed on the parents for around 3 wks and then went straight to those foods and frozen bbs. I think because it was a fairly large spawn they followed the more aggressive siblings. Also I practically had them swimming in food for the first few weeks.
    Giving them smashed up colour bits and also the Hikari first bites which is like a powder. My local fish place freezer broke down so they moved there foods all over to different inlaws. So when I went yesterday most of the stuff wasn't there...

Quote Originally Posted by Riche_guy View Post
    Giving them smashed up colour bits and also the Hikari first bites which is like a powder. My local fish place freezer broke down so they moved there foods all over to different inlaws. So when I went yesterday most of the stuff wasn't there...
    Ah ok. Coffee grinders are cheap and I found its better than smashing for me...I could get the bits and flakes to a powder like the first bites. Put it around the fry with a turkey baster.

Quote Originally Posted by Riche_guy View Post
    Having thought it through, I think I will go with the live BS if its better for the fry. Will do that pop bottle setup thingy.....
    This is the accepted practice, and has been since the dawn of aquariums..All of this other info is nice, but I'm putting 51 years of experience behind this..How about the rest of you???....
    My method is antique, and effective. Any one gallon container will do. Add 5 tbsp. rock salt or equiv., hard dechlorinated water, an air line, and depending on the amount of fry, 1 to 2 teaspoons of bbs eggs. Place near light, and 24 hrs. later, Voila!..shrimp
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

Quote Originally Posted by TURQ64 View Post
    This is the accepted practice, and has been since the dawn of aquariums..All of this other info is nice, but I'm putting 51 years of experience behind this..How about the rest of you???....
    My method is antique, and effective. Any one gallon container will do. Add 5 tbsp. rock salt or equiv., hard dechlorinated water, an air line, and depending on the amount of fry, 1 to 2 teaspoons of bbs eggs. Place near light, and 24 hrs. later, Voila!..shrimp
    I wasnt arguing ur method Gary, Im a total noob :-) I was just giving info til he gets the bbs hatched. I was forced to do it cause my eggs failed to hatch. I agree, live bbs is best.

Quote Originally Posted by TURQ64 View Post
    Also, I am wondering..the eggs I used were part of a mix that included the salt mix. I used an air line, and added a light source and a heater, still nothing. Do you think the mix instead of adding my own salt was to blame? Just trying to figure out the variable that cause the failure for the next time. It was very, very frustrating and disheartening, also stressful as this was my first batch of fry. I was very worried about losing them all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast