ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Food for 3 week old Fry

Default Re: Food for 3 week old Fry

I was referencing Deepflyball's post about feeding at 4-5 day. In your situation and their age I would use Non hatching Decap eggs from Brine Shrimp Direct. They work great and higher nutritional numbers than hatched baby brine because yolk is in tack. Just soak eggs in a glass of water for a few minutes and squirt through turkey baster over the fry. They will eat as it settles around them and will follow it to the bottom and continue grazing. Good luck.

Registered Member

Yoke is also in tack on BBs for the first 12 hours, thats why you have 2 batches going. After they start eatting the baby brime shrimp good. they can be pulled off mom and dad. I 2 have raised some large spawn or 2. 300/375. That pulls mom and dad down bad just in a couple weeks. I have a picture on Kennys site of won of my big fish that spawned a couple times this week in my main tank. SHE dropped 500-600 eggs each time. Jerry

I set up this black box type BS hatcher with a clear fresh water pill bottle put on the top. The premise is that the newly hatched shrimps will swim from the dark box into the clear pill bottle that is is the light. The eggs came as a salt mix combination. It took awhile for the shrimp to hatch. I had one batch swim into the bottle and that was it. When I open the lid of the black box I see lots of eggs floating about. Not sure if this is a good contraption. Meanwhile I am feeding the fry crushed colour bits, Hikari first food and frozen BBS served with an eye dropper. Not sure they know what to do with the frozen shrimp.

Registered Member

I would recommend adding a vegetable based flake, pellet, or wafer food to their diet. Though protein does help them grow at a fairly fast rate. Also, blanched vegetables such as cucumber, romaine lettuce, and peas are good.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Isabel De Los

Well never got in the live BS. Tried it a few times and thought it was too long a process. I fed baby brine shrimp and they seem to like it. I did get a bacteria in the tank which destroyed at least 80% of the frys, but the rest are doing fine now and eating like pigs. Many have grown, but some remain small and under-developed. will look for another food source for variety...

Registered Member

I just buy the dry brine shrimp eggs and add my own salt. Make sure you use treated or aged water. I use the same aged water I use for my tanks in the brine shrimp hatchery (Coke bottles). The eggs should hatch in about 24 hours. I also use multiple bottles, at least three or four; just in case I have a poor hatch in one bottle so I have a continuous supply of shrimp. I do not add any additional light I just have the hatchery set up in my garage and I leave the light on. I also don’t use any additional heat because my garage is always quite warm living here in Houston, but I have notice higher yields of shrimp when the temp of the water in the hatchery is consistently around 78F. I don’t worry so much about it because I just keep up a cycle of freshly hatched shrimp.

How do you separate the BS from the eggs for feeding? as well as the salt?

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Riche_guy View Post
    How do you separate the BS from the eggs for feeding? as well as the salt?
    Stop the airflow wait 5 minutes and the egg shells will float syphone the brine from the bottom into a fine neat and rinse with dechlorniated water and feed...thats what I do....Josie
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

what do you use to siphon them?

Registered Member

I syphon the Brine shrimp out with a turkey baster and filter them through a coffee filter or doubled up pantie hose. If you shine a bright light directly on the bottle the brine shrimp will swim to the light making it easier to syphon them out. Some people rinse the shrimp to get the salt off. I don’t see the point most of the salt in the solution (water) should have passed through the coffee filter. Plus if you are changing you water every day the small amount of salt should not do anything to your fish.

once they are on the coffee filter how do you get them off?

Registered Member

You will see them in the bottom of the filter. The shrimp are kind of pinkish brown and will be moving. The egg shells and unhatched eggs will be darker brown, if you are careful syphoning them you should not have many shells or eggs. I just dump them in the tank after the filter has stopped dripping, just shake the filter off in the tank.

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Here are some pics from an old thread.

-john

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth......&highlight=
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Thanks a lot guys for your help and patience. Nice to see those pictures of tanks full of fry. It inspirational...... At least I can say is the fry started another growing spurt except for a few who seem to remain small...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123