ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sex identification of Discus

Registered Member

Default Re: Sex identification of Discus

I thought Andrew Soh, in his book "The Naked Truth", has an excellent way of sexing Discus. This method can be true even before puberty. In the book, "The Naked Truth" Mr. Soh also discusses many other ways people have used to sex Discus. His method is a cumulation of over 33 years of Discus experience, and he claims 99% accuracy. I have used his method with the few Discus that have I have owned, and a few from our fish hobbist friends , and it was true. I also use his method with Angelfish, which are much easier, and the same method is true to sex.
    Both of Andrew Soh's books contain a wealth of information that every Discus enthusiasts should have in their collection.

So even Andrew soh can go wrong in guessing 1% of his fishes

Quote Originally Posted by boscobear View Post
    I thought Andrew Soh, in his book "The Naked Truth", has an excellent way of sexing Discus. This method can be true even before puberty. In the book, "The Naked Truth" Mr. Soh also discusses many other ways people have used to sex Discus. His method is a cumulation of over 33 years of Discus experience, and he claims 99% accuracy. I have used his method with the few Discus that have I have owned, and a few from our fish hobbist friends , and it was true. I also use his method with Angelfish, which are much easier, and the same method is true to sex.
    Both of Andrew Soh's books contain a wealth of information that every Discus enthusiasts should have in their collection.

Registered Member

As Andrew Soh explains, " The 1% is not an excuse for imperfection of method. Rather, the possibility of hermaphrodites cannot be ignored. His words !

Registered Member

Place a small mirror in the tank so that it rests up against the inside of glass vertically. The ones that keep looking at their reflection are females...

Registered Member

Red face Re: Sex identification of Discus

Quote Originally Posted by boscobear View Post
    Could you please elaborate and give a brief summary of Andrews method of sexing? Or is it to in depth and complex?, Thanks so much. Im on very limited finances (student) so trying to give myself the best chance of getting a pair in NZ. Getting anything from overseas as an individual through customs/import regulation is a NIGHTMARE under NZ rules or I would just get a proven pair. I just don't have the capital to grow out 8-12 and hope I get a pair here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12