ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: 54 gallon south american biotope questions

Registered Member

Default 54 gallon south american biotope questions

hey all,

i am starting a 54 gallon south american biotope (non planted) and i'll be using an Amiracle wet/dry filter. i was wondering what exactly i should have in the filter (in terms of media) that would be most beneficial to the type of system i am planning. i have bio balls that i plan on using for the bio media, but besides that i'm not sure what else to use. i was thinking of putting some peat moss in a mesh bag in there also to help with the ph and to help create a blackwater environment. any thoughts? thanks in advance!!

Registered Member

Default Re: 54 gallon south american biotope questions

Anyone?

Peat takes to long. Just use a blackwater additive if you really want that look. For the filter just use filter pads/foam blocks and bioballs

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Registered Member

oh ok thanks. i'll probably do a combo of both since i already have the peat. as far as cycling my tank, does anyone have any recommendations on using my already established tank to seed the new one? its a planted tank thats been running for about 2 1/2 years. i was thinking of just putting some of my new biomedia into the old filter for a couple of weeks and then transfer them to the new tank. should i use some old water too?

Just the bio media should be fine so long as you have a bio load to go with it

peat needs to be changed often. be careful as it will lower your ph and as it gets exhausted the ph will climb again. I have a plantless S.A. biotope with a steady ph of 7.6. I lost the tannin look long ago but it's not worth the trouble or the extra cost. my wild discus don't seem to mind.

Registered Member

meaning so long as i am putting some fish in the new tank? sorry for my rookie-ness lol
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekFF View Post
    Just the bio media should be fine so long as you have a bio load to go with it

Registered Member

ahh thats unfortunate. i really like that look. around how often did u have to change your peat?
    Quote Originally Posted by 3dees View Post
    peat needs to be changed often. be careful as it will lower your ph and as it gets exhausted the ph will climb again. I have a plantless S.A. biotope with a steady ph of 7.6. I lost the tannin look long ago but it's not worth the trouble or the extra cost. my wild discus don't seem to mind.

I won't use it. as I have said it's not worth the trouble or risk to the health of my discus. I don't think my tank looks to bad without the tannin look.
    Attached Images Attached Images