ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mixing Kenny's and Hans Discus

Default Re: Mixing Kenny's and Hans Discus

We all have our ways, weve all said our ways, take the risk, dont take the risk (whether you consider it a risk again, weve all said our opinions), all up to the hobbyist.

Real Name
    TONY

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-Hans View Post
    It's funny some reactions. Why do I always stick my neck out with the risk to get my throat cut???

You know I see it this way:

If I say it's no problem, you mix and you get problems, it's my fault.

If I say it can be a problem you get.....................

It's bitten by the dog or scratched by the cat situation. Think I will, from now on, just as other resellers here, stick to my own part of the forum.
    Tell what I've for sale, for how much and say Thank you if somebody post something nice,

Hans
    Personally, (selfishly) I think you should continue to offer your input. I & others value & appreciate your opinions coming from an experienced breeder. There will always be detractors. Don't let them keep you from helping others. I havn't had the pleasure of experiencing Kenny's Discus but I am super impressed with you & your operation. Keep doin you HANS !!! "T"
    125g Tenecor - Cardinal, Serpae, Bloodfin, Redeye, Phantom & Pristella Tetra - Ghost Shrimp - Raphael Cats - Stendker Discus
    Rena XP4, Eheim 2075, 2 A/C500, 2(250w) Ebo-Jagers / Jehmco Controller, 29g AGA-sick
    "Knowledge Gained & Not Shared Is Knowledge Lost"

Registered Member

I have a 125 gallon with 6 discus from Hans and 6 Discus from Golden State Discus. it's been several months and have had no issues. Fingers Crossed. I also have a 125 with just Hans discus and a 155 with Discus from Wattley, Chicago Discus, Golden State discus, and Myrtle beach discus

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

From a general infectious disease perspective, given that there are 2 groups, you want to protect both groups to the highest degree possible. Unfortunately in order to do this you need not 1 but 2 quarantine tanks. Once the two groups have been observed and determined not to exhibit any signs of illness you would want to choose a sacrifice from each group so you were only risking 2 fish rather that all of group A or all of group B plus 1 from the alternate group. Who knows maybe you get lucky and the pair spawns.

High 5 to all risk takers

I get it, discus are expensive, but dear God if they can genetically reproduce then I'm willing to bet the vast majority of times they'll be fine as long as you're not using any source where the discus look like skeletor, half of it's tankmates aren't "sleeping", and they aren't offsprings of a Trump & Hillary hybrid (we're all screwed... politics aren't getting any better)
    -Elliot

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by pastry View Post
    High 5 to all risk takers

I get it, discus are expensive, but dear God if they can genetically reproduce then I'm willing to bet the vast majority of times they'll be fine as long as you're not using any source where the discus look like skeletor, half of it's tankmates aren't "sleeping", and they aren't offsprings of a Trump & Hillary hybrid (we're all screwed... politics aren't getting any better)
    I know in your heart you are trying to be a good role model Elliot LOL
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

I did it the right way (hero fish after 6 months of observation) from 2 reputable sources (Al and Dennis), and nearly lost them all. Perfectly healthy groups on their own for over 6 months. Blew me away. Fortunately the discus were talking and I was quick to listen. I only lost 1, and after treating both tanks did end up with them altogether happy & healthy, but not without issue.
    If anyone is interested in the thread its called "hero fish question" and outlines start to finish what happened.
    Mixing fish from different sources is at your own risk for sure...I know many have rolled the dice and win, but not this guy LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    I know in your heart you are trying to be a good role model Elliot LOL
    Pat
    Lol Pat! I wouldn't say role model... maybe more like the model that shows "not best practices"

Only time I had a bad experience mixing sources was a long time ago when I have wild discus. Out of nowhere my local fish store called me and told me I had to see the group of wild that they got in. They were Brown discus with heckle bars. Absolutely jaw-dropping. I only have room for one and so I took it home, QT'ed it for a month, then put it into the main tank. The next day was Easter Sunday. Went to church and came back to half of The discus dead and the other half dying. By the end of the day, all of them were dead. That was the only variable I could think of that was different. You would think I would be more cautious after that, but instead I've been more Reckless. I have not experienced any problem like that since.

Meanwhile, on mixing Asians with Europeans, my stance is if human Asians and human Europeans can do it and have a baby then so can discus! Yes, I know the first pilgrims had all kinds of diseases that wiped out Native Americans.... but in this day in age we have the knowledge to get over that. One love!
    -Elliot

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123