Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mixing Kenny's and Hans Discus

Real Name
    Mauro

Default Re: Mixing Kenny's and Hans Discus

Dont´t do it! Here is what happens when you mix Kenny´s and Hans´discus:

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-Hans View Post
    I saw that lol lol lol You know, it's all been said, you take some risks, I know a lot of people keep Kenny's (good guy, good fish) and our Stendkers together with out any problems.
    +1
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

I also have Han's and Kenny's discus in my 125G Display Tank, no problem..... http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/...x/DSC_1077.jpg
    farebox

Josef

I think we should also go back to segregation of people cause you know we all carry different germs and we could kill each other by sickness

Ok ok it's corny I know but that's all I got from this post...sorry

Registered Member

Josef, you are correct. There is a chance of a problem when you mix two reputable suppliers Discus but I do not think it is too big. You assume the risk. Next time don't cross the street you might get hit by a car. Please remember this site consists mostly of questions and complaints. No one posts that "Yesterday I mixed my Discus from several suppliers and had no problem." They post if there is a problem and want help. It is quite possible that quarantining fish might not eliminate pathogens that will infect your old fish. Quarantining fish makes it easier to treat new fish and pick up obvious illnesses. Whenever you add new fish by any method you should watch all your fish closely. Also remember that when you add quarantined fish to your regular old tank your old fish may contaminate your new fish!

Real Name
    Discus Hans

It's funny some reactions. Why do I always stick my neck out with the risk to get my throat cut???

You know I see it this way:

If I say it's no problem, you mix and you get problems, it's my fault.

If I say it can be a problem you get.....................

It's bitten by the dog or scratched by the cat situation. Think I will, from now on, just as other resellers here, stick to my own part of the forum.
    Tell what I've for sale, for how much and say Thank you if somebody post something nice,

Hans
    I've changed the Discus World.
    Visit our online store at: www.discusfishstore.com
    All advice I give, is because I've good results with it, you're free to copy it. It's not a rule, it's just my way. Ohhhh and don't take me serious, I'm most of the time kidding

It's funny some reactions. Why do I always stick my neck out with the risk to get my throat cut???

It's bitten by the dog or scratched by the cat situation. Think I will, from now on, just as other resellers here, stick to my own part of the forum.
    Tell what I've for sale, for how much and say Thank you if somebody post something nice,

Hans

What, you don't like being called Hitler???? LOL!!!!!!!

Psssst....let's really get things going and throw the word CULL out there in this post as well!!!!!
    “Be curious, not judgmental.”- Walt Whitman

Hans
    NO, I for one, regardless of whether I agree or disagree with your opinions on matters like this, I ALWAYS respect it and know it comes from experience. Keep throwing yourself out there Hans, not all people may understand and as you've so elegantly put, some may even call you a dick for it, but it is your opinions out of your experiences, and I for one respect them. I appreciate your honestly and recommendations and truly hope that you never allow anybody to push you out of providing them.

I think the point of all of this is no matter what you do, there will be some level of risk, it doesnt matter what the situation is, in this hobby it is all a matter of how much risk you are willing to accept. Some will accept more than other. Many dont quarantine, they may never have problems (they wont be the first or last), it simply does not mean that you will never have problems from not doing QT. So do what you choose to do, accept the risk you are willing to accept. These are all opinions based on experiences by hobbyists, we all have our ways, take advice or leave it, its a decision we all have to make.

And to my point earlier about pathogens crossing where the individual groups of fish have the pathogens in check but when mixed the other fish may not have a built up immunity to the pathogens.... Yes, even if you QT the pathogens will still be there (unless its a proactive QT) however after a month of being established a fishes immune system and stress level are much better than immediately after being shipped in my opinion. I will grant you that BOTH of these sources ship INCREDIBLY well so there is minimal stress, but there is still some no doubt and the fish responds as such. I am by no means saying that there WILL be problems if you choose to just combine them immediately, but there is somewhat of a higher risk, though with these two sources it is minimal. Again we are back to... there will always be a certain risk level, accept what you are willing to accept, and give your fish the best care possible. After all, thats what really matters the most.

I have fish from both and no problems. Keep your tank clean and water fresh.

Josef

I know exactly how Han's feels

Registered Member

Gentlemen, and ladies, as well as Discus friends. I am new here on the SimplyDiscus forum, and have also been hedgehopping around to the most predominant importer's and breeders of Discus. I originally started with Discus from Jack Wattley back in the late 1960's...so I am also a old timer of sorts. I had my hobby discus hatchery called The Discus Den, in Marshalltown, Iowa.. And much more to the story could be added. I mention this only to underscore what I think of Hans of Discus Hans, as well as Kenny, and Mike Beal from Ohio Discus. I have met some top quality individuals... and I purchased 12 of Discus Hans Pigeon Blue Discus. I screwed up with a unbalanced cultured tank, and lost 11 of those beauties the first 24 hours, not realizing I was using a old
    quart of Prime that was outdated..and my water was not decloriinated. I literally killed off my discus to my own horror. I had a new pint of Prime came the following day.. and it saved one fish out of 12. After correcting my error, a week later I reordered another 8 fish from Discus Hans. Not his fault, nor the fish themselves.. Just my own miscalculations. OK.. now to the point I want to make.
    Do your home research..and if you import any of Kenny's, Discus Han's, or Mikes fish to mix...do keep your own quarantine methods and do your mix very gradually to overcome any adversities.. and as a second level of interest, as long as we have men of
    Han's, Kenny, and Mike calibers doing their own customer protection quarantine proceedures .. we have little to worry about, except ourselves..
    Cheers..
    Floppy Fin's.......

Real Name
    Rick

Much to do about nothing going on here.

A few things. First of all, Kenny's fish (via forrest) already come from multiple sources. Forrest does'nt breed all these varieties of discus, it would be nearly impossible. Rather he has a network of breeders.

2nd of all, the same argument could be made of Han's fish a generation or two apart. A disus purchased from Hans in 2010 might not have been exposed to the same pathogens as one purchased from Han's in 2012
    Last edited by nc0gnet0; 06-12-2012 at 12:50 PM.

Josef

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    Much to do about nothing going on here.

A few things. First of all, Kenny's fish (via forrest) already come from multiple sources. Forrest does'nt breed all these varieties of discus, it would be nearly impossible. Rather he has a network of breeders.

2nd of all, the same argument could be made of Han's fish a generation or two aprat. A disus purchased from Hans in 2010 might not have been exposed to the same pathogens as one purchased from Han's in 2012
    Dang! Another person with some common sense.

Hans,

You know you are the man when it comes to discus. I will take NO ONE's advise before yours. Plus you are a great guy.

Yun-

- 265G Wild Discus Community
    - 90G African Cichlids
    - 56G Reef
    - 20G, 20G, 29G Community
    - 20G, 26G, 36G empty

From Stendker's site:

"• Can I mix different types of discus fish?
    You can mix different colours from the same breeder at any time. However, you should never mix different types such as fish caught in the wild, fish from Asiatic breeders or STENDKER discus fish because fish from different breeding operations will have different microbial strains and therefore may not be mixed. "

http://www.diskuszucht-stendker.de/g...q,index,0.html

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast