ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UV Filters...What is the benefit?

Real Name
    David

Default UV Filters...What is the benefit?

I am seeing a lot of UV lights in filters now. What is the benefit if any to freshwater? Won't the UV kill the beneficial bacteria?

Default Re: UV Filters...What is the benefit?

man. there is some DUDE that is SOLD on this.. it was a very entertaining thread.. on this topic.

1. i don't see much benefit that good water changes would not take care of..

2. no, will not kill BB.. most algae
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Real Name
    Brandon Trier

I have one on my 90. Is down now and fish are in another tank. I agree with Skip, with the water changes and doing a regular cleaning I have found that using a uv filter doesn't really do much for you. Keeping good water quality by doing daily water changes and refular cleaning is your best bet.
    -Brandon
    Discus.....The best cult I've been a part of!
    B's Bunker

That's a large assumption saying that UV doesn't do much when you don't know whats happening in the water at all.. considering its on a microscopic level. UV is a very powerful mutigen.

Registered Member

You don't need it. How does UV deal with ammonia or nitrates? Some people use it when their fish get sick and to kill bacteria. But I don't see how much that really helps if you got sick fish with healthy fish. I'd rather spend the money on another filter or better filter if your worried about water quality. I got tricked into buying one a while back, it sucks. You have to change the light every 6 months or so and you don't really know if its is doing anything.

Well David, as you can see from a couple of the replies above, some would disagree with my views, but I feel the regular use of a UV in a planted discus tank is worth every dollar spent on the unit and replacement bulbs.

I've kept discus for many years, and I now run a UV sterilizer 24/7 in my tank.

Not only does it effectively deal with any green water problems you might have (I've had a couple over the years) but properly operated, it does away with potentially harmful pathogens that may be present or appear in the tank. So I view it as a consistent water quality producer and maintainer.

In addition, it helps provide good water circulation and surface agitation (doing away with any surface protein film from discus' slime coat sheddings & other sources), and when used in conjunction with a small water pump to remove any film algae from the glass to get it free-floating, it allows the UV to pick it up and zap it. As importantly, it greatly helps to maintain crystal clear water conditions (along with the wcs). My tank has never been as crystal clear since I started using the UV full-time 2 years ago.

Have a look at my just freshly-re-scaped discus tank. The UV sterilizer has been out of the tank for a few days now (burnt out bulb) and it's just a touch hazy, but that will be fully rectified just as soon as I get a new bulb and get the UV back in the tank.

http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/...ul/lolliblues2

That's one person's opinion - but it works for me. Wouldn't be without it.
    Last edited by discuspaul; 06-13-2012 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brianyam View Post
    You don't need it. How does UV deal with ammonia or nitrates? Some people use it when their fish get sick and to kill bacteria. But I don't see how much that really helps if you got sick fish with healthy fish. I'd rather spend the money on another filter or better filter if your worried about water quality. I got tricked into buying one a while back, it sucks. You have to change the light every 6 months or so and you don't really know if its is doing anything.
    Your kidding right? From your argument it definitely shows you don't even know what UV is.

UV stands for ultra violet - aka a spectrum of light that can penetrate pathogenic (anything that causes disease) cell walls and mess up DNA/RNA a few different ways. It's an extremely effective method of killing temporary harmful microbiota. Beneficial microbiota are stationary in your filters or where ever. Temporary harmful microbiota are free floating THUS the reason to do water changes and dilute the enemy (could be ammonia, ich, what ever). Like paul said it even helps with water clarity.

UV doesn't deal at all with ammonia or nitrates.. Educate yourself before coming to a conclusion.

Do a forum search. Many many discussions on this before. And to discuspauls point, yes id use one in a PLANTED tank also mostly for the less frequent water changes and algae bloom prevention.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Registered Member

yes I know what UV is.

If your tank is well maintained ( happy, well fed, not over stock, good filteration) and you have "clean" fish (QT, or have med them before) you don't need a UV trying to kill bad bacteria. If your fish get sick with bacteria, and are 5-10 days from dying - trust me, just using a UV does nothing for you. You got to use meds like negative gram ones like Furan 2, Kanaplex...etc. The UV actually hurts the ability of these antibiotics to work too, so you have to turn off the UV anyways.

If your fish has worms or itch, your going to have to use meds - just using a UV won't do enough. Sure it doesn't hurt, but those things are hundreds of dollars for basic ones. For larger tanks, you got to buy a few of them just to make it work. I'd rather buy more filters or the top filters if your going to spend that type of money.

The whole UV thing kinda started with salt water tanks since they really wanted to make sure the water is crystal clear, no algae. Trust me, you get a itch attack or bacteria attack, your going to med....and then turn off that UV anyways.

IMO you don't really need one unless you have green water or have a crazy outbreak in your tank and a UV may or may not help the situation since it only catches what ever flows in the UV fixture. Choice is always your though.

Quote Originally Posted by brianyam View Post
    yes I know what UV is.

If your tank is well maintained ( happy, well fed, not over stock, good filteration) and you have "clean" fish (QT, or have med them before) you don't need a UV trying to kill bad bacteria. If your fish get sick with bacteria, and are 5-10 days from dying - trust me, just using a UV does nothing for you. You got to use meds like negative gram ones like Furan 2, Kanaplex...etc. The UV actually hurts the ability of these antibiotics to work too, so you have to turn off the UV anyways.

If your fish has worms or itch, your going to have to use meds - just using a UV won't do enough. Sure it doesn't hurt, but those things are hundreds of dollars for basic ones. For larger tanks, you got to buy a few of them just to make it work. I'd rather buy more filters or the top filters if your going to spend that type of money.

The whole UV thing kinda started with salt water tanks since they really wanted to make sure the water is crystal clear, no algae. Trust me, you get a itch attack or bacteria attack, your going to med....and then turn off that UV anyways.
    1. The majority of bacteria is very beneficial in many ways.

2. UV radiation treatment is a constant process that controls levels of pathogens, not just used when fish are currently sick - looking for a fast solution. You sound like your using UV for a solution to a sick fish.

3. There is no such thing as a "clean fish" in existence.

4. You don't always have to use meds for outbreaks.

5. The larger the tank and stock more the reason to use UV to control water clarity, outbreaks, and pathogenic activity.

6. More filters will not control or help outbreaks of sickness.

It's pronounced gram negative not negative gram as well. It's refers to the type of cell wall in bacteria.

Registered Member

Part of what i do for a living is waste water treatment, the systems are very similar to what an aquarium filter is made to do except they treat millions of gallons a day and a lot of waste treatment plants have gone to UV in place of chlorination to keep the fecal chloroform levels to a minimum.

Registered Member

Bacteria outbreaks usually occur when fish are under stress, and they are usually under stress if the water is no good say with ammonia, over stockin or you introduce new fish that are infected. Better filteration keeps your water paramaters betters thereby lowering the stress to your fish. Just like a human, there is bacteria everywhere, but when a human is stressed they are more open to infection. That is what I mean by spending the money on making sure your water is better than on uv. Fix the source of problem, not use a band aid solution like uv. If u got bacteria or alage problems, fix the source.

Healthy fish who are happy won't just get sick for no reason. So if your tak needs uv to function well, something is wrong with the set up or routine. I assure you, if you put sick fish in your tank or get an inch outbreak with $1000 fish, your going to med. Hoping that uv will help u is a big long shot, and besides, wc are much better anyways.

Waste management is different, you are talking about human fecal matter that can kill people.look, you can do it, uv won't hurt anything - but it more of an "extra" or "just in case" type of thing. Treat the fish well and have good water from over filteration is 99% goood. u can't control everything.

Registered Member

I guess in the end, these type of decisions is not really about what is right/wrong/practical/what works - it really depends on what kind of personality you have, how much you have to spend and where you are in your fish keeping life. So to the person who ask this question, if you don't mind spending the money and want to "make sure" every scenario is covered and it helps you sleep better - then go for it. Get a UV. I use to think that way (hence why I bought a UV before). It is what makes you enjoy the hobby, and sometimes the equipment is just as fun as the fish.

I use a vecton uv on my breeding set up , I have it on the return from the sump to the tanks . At the right flow rate it helps to keep bacteria levels down and it helps raise oxygen levels in the water.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast