AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: UV Filters...What is the benefit?

Default Re: UV Filters...What is the benefit?

Quote Originally Posted by DerekFF View Post
    I could post a link.....as has been done in all tons of other discussions on the same subject. A UV is not a filter and shouldnt be searched as such. And UV is UV pond or aquarium it doesnt much matter. They all do the same thing.
    Sorry DerekFF "They" absolutely do not do the same thing - this is a common misconception. UV "filters" for ponds and aquariums have a totally different design and function: the depth of the water column surrounding the UV lamp in those designed for ponds is much too wide to eliminate bacteria / pathogens etc. Please do post a link, also the thread title is "UV Filters ... What..." so I'm guessing that the originator may have seached using "UV Filters" rather than "UV water sterilizers..."

This link is to a "jargon free" site that members may find useful - http://www.aquariumfish.net/informat...rilization.htm
    Last edited by Tommo; 08-12-2012 at 10:03 PM. Reason: adding link

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Please do post a link, also the thread title is "UV Filters ... What..." so I'm guessing that the originator may have seached using "UV Filters" rather than "UV water sterilizers..."

This link is to a "jargon free" site that members may find useful - http://www.aquariumfish.net/informat...rilization.htm
    I would like to add this , If you are going to post any links could they be up to date !! ( this is not aimed at you TOMMO). I think if everyone just used the search button you would never find any up to date information .

UV filters are very useful not only for bacteria and pathogens but raising the ORP (oxygen) level in the water which in turn makes the fish healthier .
    Last edited by Brent1972; 08-13-2012 at 11:01 AM.

Sorry DerekFF "They" absolutely do not do the same thing - this is a common misconception. UV "filters" for ponds and aquariums have a totally different design and function: the depth of the water column surrounding the UV lamp in those designed for ponds is much too wide to eliminate bacteria / pathogens etc. Please do post a link, also the thread title is "UV Filters ... What..." so I'm guessing that the originator may have seached using "UV Filters" rather than "UV water sterilizers..."

Then obviously you are uneducated about UV sterilizers. Most and any that are of good quality will give you 2 different flow ratings in their manual. 1 for green water and 1 for pathogens and protozoa. And this doesnt matter if it is for a pond or for an aquarium. A UV sterilizer is a UV sterilizer, the pond versions are just scaled up for ponds in the 1-10,000g range. They are still made the same, perform the same and do the same thing as their aquarium counterparts.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Here is another useful link:

http://www.americanaquariumproducts....tml#uvrebuttal

Yes Brent1972, UV's are also beneficial in raising Oxidation-Reduction Potential...If you have any other useful links please share them with us.

This site even says that pond and aquarium UV lights are the same lol. Spreading info without knowing the facts Tommo. I shake my finger at you. At least its a good link

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by DerekFF View Post
    Then obviously you are uneducated about UV sterilizers. Most and any that are of good quality will give you 2 different flow ratings in their manual. 1 for green water and 1 for pathogens and protozoa. And this doesnt matter if it is for a pond or for an aquarium. A UV sterilizer is a UV sterilizer, the pond versions are just scaled up for ponds in the 1-10,000g range. They are still made the same, perform the same and do the same thing as their aquarium counterparts.

Agreed. UV's perform essentially the same (given they are specific for aquatics/fish). Just depends on how the manufacturer wants to rate them. Just be aware of their listed exposure level (µWs/cm²) at the given flow rate. A lot of UV's listed for pond use list flow rates at a 15,000µWs/cm² exposure level, which is good for basic planktonic algae (and not much else...). Higher quality units list their flows as a set of numbers, 77/64 @ 30,000µWs/cm². This indicates 77gpm when the lamp(s) are new, and 64gpm when the lamps have aged 9 months. To maintain a specific exposure level, you have to either adjust the flow for the UV lamp degradation (not practical), or size the UV for a flow rate at the end of the useful lamp life (9 months).

Another point to note is that a UV sterilizer is only as effective as how clear and how solids free the water is. Water that is laden with solids will create shadows that allow pathogens to "hide" behind. Water that is turbid, or colored (tannins) will require the use of a higher output system to achieve the same effect as a system with clear water. The UV light penetration into the column of water that passes by it will be drastically reduced if the water is turbid, or has high levels of tannins in it (UV light absorption).

Best way to size a UV is not based on the manufacturer's recommendations, but based on what level of UV exposure (µWs/cm²) @ flow. Once you know what level of expoure you want, it's pretty easy to match an appropriate UV (assuming manufacturer info is correct).
    http://www.aquaticeco.com/pages/full...et-Sterilizers

-Ryan
    -Ryan Karcher
    Aquatic Eco Systems Technician

Here is another useful link:

http://www.americanaquariumproducts....tml#uvrebuttal

Yes Brent1972, UV's are also beneficial in raising Oxidation-Reduction Potential...If you have any other useful links please share them with us.
    The best link I have found is the one above you have posted already .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123