ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Simply Discus Challenge Pictures/Video, Harry Marsh Alex Piwow Red Turk Babies

Registered Member

Default Re: 2012 Simply Discus Challenge Pictures/Video, Harry Marsh Alex Piwow Red Turk Babi

nice to see the progress, the small and dark one, is it the one in the corner of the tank in the video

Default Re: 2012 Simply Discus Challenge Pictures/Video, Harry Marsh Alex Piwow Red Turk Babi

Here is a pic that shows the culls, in the top left.
    I flushed two of them today. One was a runt for sure. The other had some swimming problem. The third, I put in another tank with some other undesirables that will get a last chance at life. I've had a few end up as nice fish: just undersized compared to the rest and a little slow to develop. The third will have another month to get some nice shape.

So, there are 27 left. I probably need to go down to the '8' this week. Have the rules been posted, yet?

A few update pictures. I'm starting to see that the pictures are nicer than the videos.
    It will be easier to do a comparison in the future with logged pictures every week, rather than videos.
    69 days old, here

You will notice some planaria on the glass. I had visitors this weekend and only cleaned the aquarium once in three days = breakout
    Annoying.
    I think I feed far too much on the weekends (every time I walk by the aquarium). The little beggars are just so cute, though....
    Last edited by Harry Marsh; 07-29-2012 at 08:47 PM.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Harry, the rules have not been posted yet to my knowledge. I am going to do the down select to 8 also. I would have this weekend but found I needed some extra airline for hooking up another sponge filter.

Your guys are starting to develop some color.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Culled two, today....after much consideration.

I found two smaller guys that had eyes that were abnormally large. I wouldn't call them runts, but they were lagging behind the others. They were also a bit darker and not as lively.
    I have a few smaller that I will keep because they're still nicely proportioned....but these seemed a bit below the normal quality

I also started to reduce down to 8. I now have 15 in the tank (moved 10 or so to another tank)
    The gill plate 'problem' seems to be less significant at this time. I had trouble removing the 10 or so...and basically just took out the smaller fish

I measured one of the larger fish (netted and measured), it was just a tad over 2.5"
    So, 2.5" at day 71 is my growth rate

Harry, thanks again for the little guys!!! They started eating within 15 minutes of getting into their new home! I'm hoping those little guys end up growing to even just half of the size that your RT's are. All of them were pretty damn big! I was even surprised how big the female is! You and your wife were so nice to let me drop in on the weekend to retrieve them. Thank you sooooo much and can't wait to grow them out! -Pastry

p.s.-Good luck in the contest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice to meet you, Pastry. It's a shame you aren't closer. Keep me updated on the progress!

I'm down to 8.
    Pictures later today

Pictures, because I think they're easiest to see progression through:
    75? days old here

Last edited by Harry Marsh; 08-05-2012 at 08:08 PM.

Real Name
    Rick

Is the last picture the one of the culls? What is the TDS of your water? Just curious.

Rick

hi Harry! I haven't kept up with the competition threads......only just spent the time to check out your 4 pages LOL. your babies look very nice! very well documented too.
    and hey, just realized you're not far from me - practically neighbors. I used to work in Charlotte, at CMC Main.
    "The more I learn, the more I learn how much I have to learn." ~Charles Schultz

-Trish

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    Is the last picture the one of the culls? What is the TDS of your water? Just curious.

Rick
    A bit low: 70
    I do add a bit of calcium from time to time, though.
    I currently have eggs and would like to try a 'batch b' with higher TDS
    Not a cull: just one of them being shy for a third picture

Quote Originally Posted by shoveltrash View Post
    hi Harry! I haven't kept up with the competition threads......only just spent the time to check out your 4 pages LOL. your babies look very nice! very well documented too.
    and hey, just realized you're not far from me - practically neighbors. I used to work in Charlotte, at CMC Main.
    Howdy howdy
    I actually work closer to monroe

I moved these guys to a new 75 gallon, today. Their old tank is in for a full clean.

Last edited by Harry Marsh; 08-06-2012 at 07:33 PM.

Video from yesterday

I'll try to get pictures, today.

I notice a few significant negatives to putting them in their own tank. They're not nearly as active eaters. More apt to get scared, etc.
    I think the others are looking better and better - growing faster

Real Name
    Pat

Harry, I have noticed the same with separating my eight fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Harry, I have noticed the same with separating my eight fish.
    I don't like it at all
    Quite a few of the 'others' are looking better than these, now
    Growing faster: still attacking food and very friendly.

Real Name
    Pat

Yup, it is quite the learning experience.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast