AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Simply Discus Challenge Pictures/Video, Harry Marsh Alex Piwow Red Turk Babies

Default Re: 2012 Simply Discus Challenge Pictures/Video, Harry Marsh Alex Piwow Red Turk Babi

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Yup, it is quite the learning experience.
    True true. I guess it is realistic, though. Most people won't buy more than 8 fish
    However, it's another vote of confidence for trusting a sponor who raises a lot of these fish: they feel more comfortable in numbers
    I'm kinda thinking about putting them in a tank with a divider. Might make them more comfortable

Default Re: 2012 Simply Discus Challenge Pictures/Video, Harry Marsh Alex Piwow Red Turk Babi

I put the fish in a split 75 gallon aquarium.
    I continued to be unhappy with these 8 in a 55 gallon tank. One or two of them was always turning dark in color and looking unhealthy
    The other 30 or so in the other tank are looking much better (never dark, very aggressive for food)

So, I put these 8 beside some outcasts from long ago (my first batch of fry, that may or may not be stunted)
    I had tried to raise this batch on artificial food before giving up and buying brine shrimp eggs (middle picture)
    I'm hoping with the 8 seeing others...they can settle in and feel more comfortable

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Last edited by Harry Marsh; 08-23-2012 at 09:23 AM.

(just deleted dpete9's post)
    I had a different picture mixed in there of older fry. I just deleted it (you can see them on the right side of the tank). No reason to confuse everyone.
    Yes: the older fry show much more color. They'll look like that in about 3 months

They're growing

But....I SUCK at taking pictures.
    I need lessons form Discus Noob

I'll try again tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Marsh View Post
    I don't like it at all
    Quite a few of the 'others' are looking better than these, now
    Growing faster: still attacking food and very friendly.
    I just separated my 8 out yesterday, and I was worried about this too. I would of liked to keep them together for another month before separating the 8.
    -Josh
    TFCEC member
    http://www.tropical-fish-club-of-erie-county.com/

Quote Originally Posted by joshvito View Post
    I just separated my 8 out yesterday, and I was worried about this too. I would of liked to keep them together for another month before separating the 8.
    Yup, we should have pushed this '8' separation date to 4" or so
    But, I guess that isn't the purpose of the competition.

Mine are starting to look better. As they get bigger, they're getting more brave and healthy
    That was just ab it young to separate, IMO

Harry.. What size tank u got them in?
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Quote Originally Posted by warlock4169 View Post
    Harry.. What size tank u got them in?
    I first had them in a 55

Now, I've put them in a split 75 with some others on the other side. That seems to have helped
    I'll move back to the 55 when they get larger

I believe these guys are 100 days old. I would have to do some calculations

harry, those little guys are looking good. meanwhile, i got 5 of the ones from the batch that was hatched after your contest batch. by any chance do you remember "round about" when they were born? i've been meaning to ask you.

as for as how they're doing, they're eating like pigs! unfortunately i have them addicted to blood worms and beefheart but i'm trying to get them on flakes. the 2 culls i took off your hands are trying their best to catch up with the others. they're the first ones to my hand when i start feeding so they have hope. who knows, maybe one will turn into a swan. i can't wait until all of them start to color up. i kind of enjoy how it's MUCH slower than most breeds. for lack of better words (and I'm sure I'll catch hell or wierd looks from this... but it's just an analogy) it's like "foreplay"! alright, well good luck with your 8 and hope they turn out as good as the breeders you have.-- Elliot

They are getting huge! Great work!
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

From one of the smaller guys

to one of the bigger guys (starting to look less like footballs)

And all of them are getting color on their fins/forehead

The big ones look super TALL high body. Great eye to body ratio! Even at such a young age!
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Two of the 'in between' guys.
    I need to pull one out and measure. I'll have to harass the wife to snap the picture when I do so

Elliott: I'm glad yours are doing well. They were born about two weeks after these guys (different male, same female)
    I haven't had young since then. I think I tried to do too much with that female and she went on strike

Eddie: Thanks. Every time I see your Avatar, I wish I had that fish!
    Last edited by Harry Marsh; 09-05-2012 at 09:08 PM.

I sold all but these 8 from this batch
    I had been selling slowly, but think I might have another batch in the works...so I liquidated a bit

Quick video. They're usually more friendly, but I had just cleaned their tank with the power siphon

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast