AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: New, want to get juvies but have feeding questions

Registered Member

Default New, want to get juvies but have feeding questions

Hi, I'm planning a tank with 12 3" juvies, and I plan on doing 6 feedings a day. I was thinking about the following foods, but I want to make sure that it's a good mix and that these will provide them with all of the proper vitamins, or will I need to supplement?

Morning: Frozen blackworms
    Daytime: 3 x Bill's Super BH Flakes (via auto feeder)
    After work: Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef Flakes
    Late evening: Ocean Nutrition Discus Formula (Frozen)

The other thing I'm not sure about is the amount, since discus are grazers, and I haven't been able to really find specifics on this. Enough food that they eat it in 3 minutes? 5? 10? Thanks for any advise!

Registered Member

Default Re: New, want to get juvies but have feeding questions

First what size is your tank??? Wheres the beafheart???? Whats the water change plan???? If your feeding 6 times/day, 5 of them should be beafheart. I have a grow out tank on Kennys site,whit some pictures of my fish and a feed plan. Jerry

Registered Member

Wow, I didn't realize I needed more beefheart in addition to the significant amount in the beefheart flakes. I have a 125 gal and will be doing 50-75% daily water changes.

Registered Member

To be fair i have never used beefheart flakes. But i cant grasp the thought that a flake is better than beefheart. Other wise why is everyone feeding it????? jERRY

Registered Member

Sure, that makes sense. The 3 feedings during the day would have to still be a flake/pellet/freeze-dried since I work and would have to use the auto feeder during the day.

I started with 2.5 inch discus and beef heart is only 20 percent of their daily food, I use fdbw and ocean nutrition formula one flakes. It's been about 3 months and some of them are 4.5 inches or more. Beef heart is too messy for me, fdbw is my main staple.

Just stating my experience.
    Bill

Registered Member

Yeah, it seems like some people swear by it, but I'd only want to feed it at night right before a water change so it doesn't foul up the water.

I feed bh once or twice a day but it isn't a requirement. You might want to add freeze dried blackworms. They are high in protein, the fish love them and they are relatively non-polluting. It's hard to say how much to feed. At first, they may eat little or not at all. Mine are still picking after 10 min.