ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Problem with Dry Pellets

Question Problem with Dry Pellets

Hello, my 5 month old Discus have never liked Dry pellets such as Ocean Nutrition pellet or Hickari Discus Pellets. For most part the pellets sink in kinda fast and drift all over the tank and the Discus don't show much interest all to eat them. They end up making a mess in the gravel, what is the secret to having them eat Dry Pellets. I have tried not feeding for a day method and it does not work! They main diet has been home-made beef heart with salmon meat and FDBW. Are these 2 enough to keep them healthy and big?

Default Re: Problem with Dry Pellets

Ive tried the starve method too and it has never worked for me my discus wont take to pellets. So i just feed them to my other fish.mine also wont eat bh flake from kens.
    Chris

They end up making a mess in the gravel
    for better luck with this, I'd go bare bottom......my Discus love to graze off the bottom, and with gravel this is harder for them (not to mention that gravel provides places for food to rot!). however I've never had luck with dry pellets - and the only flake food they really love is ON Prime Reef flakes.
    "The more I learn, the more I learn how much I have to learn." ~Charles Schultz

-Trish

Real Name
    TONY

Quote Originally Posted by farzadkavari View Post
    Hello, my 5 month old Discus have never liked Dry pellets such as Ocean Nutrition pellet or Hickari Discus Pellets. For most part the pellets sink in kinda fast and drift all over the tank and the Discus don't show much interest all to eat them. They end up making a mess in the gravel, what is the secret to having them eat Dry Pellets. I have tried not feeding for a day method and it does not work! They main diet has been home-made beef heart with salmon meat and FDBW. Are these 2 enough to keep them healthy and big?
    They're probably content w/ the tasty menu you've been serving so it's not gonna be easy. Try fasting a day or two & use a touch of garlic (GarlicGauard) on a few pellets. Don't dump a lot of pellets in till you get a positive response. This might take several tries over a few days but they will surrender rather than starve. Once you get positive reaction vary the diet so they don't just 'lock' on to one thing. It took almost 4 days for my 8 sub-adults to give in. Now they eat whatever hits the water.

PREV POST:
    Looks like you've covered a good number of bases. The actual choices are somewhat subjective. My list is a bit more extensive due to OCD (lol). Someone elses might include more homemade mixes. Variety is key. My list (from prev post)

There are a number of different things you can choose to diversify your discus' diet. Mine is a bit extreme (OCD) but the choices are many. Food varies every couple a days - live blackworms, Hans frozen beef mix, San Fran Bay Frozen Bloodworms, Mysis Shrimp, Ocean Nutrition Discus Flakes, Als Austrailian freeze dried blackworms, O.S.I. Spirulina Flakes, NLS Discus Formula pellets & Dainichi Cichlid - Color FX + Vita-Chem once a week. "T"
    125g Tenecor - Cardinal, Serpae, Bloodfin, Redeye, Phantom & Pristella Tetra - Ghost Shrimp - Raphael Cats - Stendker Discus
    Rena XP4, Eheim 2075, 2 A/C500, 2(250w) Ebo-Jagers / Jehmco Controller, 29g AGA-sick
    "Knowledge Gained & Not Shared Is Knowledge Lost"