ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Matt's NADA Atlanta 2012 log

Default Re: Matt's NADA Atlanta 2012 log

I don't know because I'm stupid with photography, but I think the main thin is flash from above rather than the flash on the camera. It's expensive. I'd like to know what lens would work best for my Nikkon. I have an 18 to 200 hunderd and a 50mm 1:1.8D.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Rick

I don't know because I'm stupid with photography, but I think the main thin is flash from above rather than the flash on the camera. It's expensive. I'd like to know what lens would work best for my Nikkon. I have an 18 to 200 hunderd and a 50mm 1:1.8D.
    As long as we are asking, I would like to know what lense to get for my Olympus E-410 too?

Rick

A big "Thank You" again from the club Matt. You far exceeded our expectations and was awesome to see such dedication.
    You're the best & because of people like you this truly was the best discus show ever in North America!

Chad
    Proud Host of the best Discus show ever in North America because of the people who came!!
    NADA Show Convention Atlanta 2012
    Member of SouthEast Discus Enthusiasts
    North American Discus Association Board Member

Real Name
    Matt

Thanks again all, I used a 24-105mm lens for these pictures on a Canon 5D Mk II camera body. No macro lens, though I do have one. The shots of the whole room were done with a 14mm wide angle. And yes, flash above. IMO for aquarium photography more light is more important then a fast lens.
    -Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    Thanks again all, I used a 24-105mm lens for these pictures on a Canon 5D Mk II camera body. No macro lens, though I do have one. The shots of the whole room were done with a 14mm wide angle. And yes, flash above. IMO for aquarium photography more light is more important then a fast lens.
    WTH!!!>. that camera cost like one or two BEST IN SHOW FISH!!
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

How about some tips on buying flash equipment specifically for this use.
    Thanks
    Steve T

chop meat, carry water

Quote Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
    Hey Matt , great pics, do you recall whose fish is picture #6, in post #153 (the second red Discus). Also what strain is that, looks like a Red Valentine.

Crockett
    It looks like the first one is the Royal Ruby Red from angelfishusa and the second red Discus is the red valentine also from AngelfishUSA.

http://www.angelfishusa.net/shopcont...ay-tt-shipment
    Last edited by wdeleon01; 06-27-2012 at 02:14 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wdeleon01 View Post
    It looks like the first one is the Royal Ruby Red from angelfishusa and the second one red Discus is the red valentine also from AngelfishUSA.

http://www.angelfishusa.net/shopcont...ay-tt-shipment
    Okay, I'm impressed. that's right.

Quote Originally Posted by angelfishusa View Post
    Okay, I'm impressed. that's right.
    I told you I liked the discus you brought in but specially the reds and the galaxies.
    Last edited by wdeleon01; 06-26-2012 at 06:08 PM.

Registered Member

Wow the pics are amazing..

Yusufm52
    sent from tapatalk2

Great,Great pictures your skills with the camera are top notch.

Thanks Matt. Mk II is going to cost me a leg and arm . I have a 40D will try my luck with it.

Did you use a tripod?

Real Name
    Matt

Thanks all, hey the Mk II will come down a little in price....the Mk III just came out!

Being critical of my own photos, I had to twist my own arm a bit. Seeing edges of the next tank an the rims of the tank and stuff bother me LOL, but hey...just trying to show off the fish. Its really a different animal in the showtanks. This was the first show I've EVER shot. Took some pics at ACA in Atlanta a few years ago....with a point and shoot. This time knowing I was doing it seriously I contacted Mo Delvin (Aquamojo), some might know him he is one of the best, and picked his brain. He gave me some good tips and I think they turned out pretty good for the conditions. Lots of ambient sunlight in the daytime, showtanks, stress, etc. I really really really like the 20 Extra Highs for photography tanks, it actually made a world of difference in some of the tanks. With the height, it really gives the flash time to get down to the bottom and cast a nice soft light over everything instead of on a normal 20 where the flash is bearing down and really puts some hard shadows and light on the fish. The tall tanks also calmed the fish a lot more. Putting a flash above the tank made some in the normal 20s nervous as they could easily see something above them. The taller tanks the fish didn't care one bit.

Honestly I would say the Body of the camera is about 10% of the equation. 70% is lighting, and 20% is lens. I've seen lighting setups as simple as a single flash and a styro cooler to reflect it above the tank. Those of you there saw I was shooting with a round diffuser on my flash. You need something to diffuse the light. You can buy a commercially made one like I did or use something like rain gutter or a styro cooler. Point the flash up into the cooler or gutter material and the light will reflect down into the tank and not be as harsh. It will also spread the light out a little more instead of a beam of light. I opted to go the wireless route. I have a two Canon speedlite flashes, diffusers for each, and then a wireless controller for the hotshoe of my camera (its infrared). You just want a flash that can be used as a slave flash, wired or wireless is up to you. If you use it at home and have the camera on a tripod and the flash setup just sitting there wires would be fine (wires going from the camera to the flashes by the way). If you need something that moves, you might look more at a wireless setup like I have. Not sure what to recommend Nikon wise but for Canon its the St-e2 I use. I'll show you a couple pictures later tonight to show a flash setup above the tank.

I did not use a tripod with these photos Poco.
    -Matt

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Matt I think we need to change your name from Discus-nOOb to Photo-King.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Quote Originally Posted by John_Nicholson View Post
    Matt I think we need to change your name from Discus-nOOb to Photo-King.

-john
    How about..."Most Patient Guy Around"!

Rodrigo
    Rod Clement - SOS CREW NJ

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast