ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Lost entire fish collection within 15 min. What cause it?

Real Name
    Mauro

Default Re: Lost entire fish collection within 15 min. What cause it?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackComet94 View Post
    Just want to avoid food get suck in to filtration system so that was the reason I always turn off filtration system prior to feed
    I never had a sump, but if you want to prevent food from getting suck you can put a prefilter in the intake of the canister.

My daughter is 13, she was sleeping during the disaster. but she never feed the tank without my permission. Anyway, I did not mention about not allow kid into fish room.
    Oh, sorry. It was warblad79 that talked about not allowing kids in fishroom.

Gravel as my tank substrate, it about 3 in and I have it when I start the tank.
    It is a mystery, my friend.

Very sorry for your loss. I hope you get over it soon and get back even stronger.

Did you check the sump, to see if there is anything unusual in it. I will also double check the heater and the cord.

Registered Member

All I can say is wow and I'm so sorry for your loss. I always worry that something like this will happen. I agree it really would have to be something with the water. Please do a Sherlock Holmes and investigate a little more to find out what happened.
    We all judge, it's what we do with our judgements that make us who we are.
    Margaret

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by a volar View Post
    Sorry to hear that...... it's really weird, I'll think has to be related to poison, how? don't know but somethig got release suddenly in the tank, may be something inside canister filter, have you check that?
    I clean my canister filter twice a month. I cleaned it last Sunday and it house sponges, fluval ceramic bio ring and Seachem purigen.
    It's a closed system (canister filter) so I don't think anything can get in to it but i will check it to be sure.

I have been using Ken's food for many years now and in fact the same types you mentioned. I received an order not long ago and been feeding it 3-4 times daily and no issues ever noted. I'm in agreement with all here that a poison of sorts entered the water column and wiped the tank out. That is about the only thing that can cause such an immediate reaction, other than an electric shock, to your fish.

So very sorry for your loss, I sure hope you can narrow it down.

BTW, does the room have a window that may have been open to the outside and someone sprayed?? I read a post once upon a time here where that happened to a member and lost all his fish also.. Best of luck.
    Jorge Q

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusBR View Post
    I never had a sump, but if you want to prevent food from getting suck you can put a prefilter in the intake of the canister
    I have prefilter installed on the intake of canister filter.

shutting the filters down for 1 hr is what most likely caused it. there is no reason to shut them down, that is a bad habit.after a couple minutes the bacteria loose needed oxygen then make physical/chemical changes and start producing their own oxygen which causes havoc on the other bacteria in the system.
    Jim

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jimg View Post
    shutting the filters down for 1 hr is what most likely caused it. there is no reason to shut them down, that is a bad habit.after a couple minutes the bacteria loose needed oxygen then make physical/chemical changes and start producing their own oxygen which causes havoc on the other bacteria in the system.
    I guess that people will have to shut down their filtration system for clean up.
    I shut down my system when feeding, cleaning the filter as well as cleaning inside of the tank.
    As stated above, I once forgot to turn the system back on and it lasted 8 hrs but no fish die.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Poco View Post
    Very sorry for your loss. I hope you get over it soon and get back even stronger.

Did you check the sump, to see if there is anything unusual in it. I will also double check the heater and the cord.
    Checked the sump and heaters, nothing unusual

Have You checked the gravel for waste ?

I guess that people will have to shut down their filtration system for clean up.
    I shut down my system when feeding, cleaning the filter as well as cleaning inside of the tank.
    As stated above, I once forgot to turn the system back on and it lasted 8 hrs but no fish die.
    shutting it down for cleaning is different, it's open and being aerated. if you left it off for 8 hrs with no problems, that time you were lucky.... again no reason to ever shut filters off except while your cleaning them
    Jim

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Teshi View Post
    All I can say is wow and I'm so sorry for your loss. I always worry that something like this will happen. I agree it really would have to be something with the water. Please do a Sherlock Holmes and investigate a little more to find out what happened.
    I am working on it now.
    Thanks

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brent1972 View Post
    Have You checked the gravel for waste ?
    I haven't, but what do you mean by check gravel for waste?
    I change water 3 times/ week and clean gravel twice a week

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyAngels View Post
    I have been using Ken's food for many years now and in fact the same types you mentioned. I received an order not long ago and been feeding it 3-4 times daily and no issues ever noted. I'm in agreement with all here that a poison of sorts entered the water column and wiped the tank out. That is about the only thing that can cause such an immediate reaction, other than an electric shock, to your fish.

So very sorry for your loss, I sure hope you can narrow it down.

BTW, does the room have a window that may have been open to the outside and someone sprayed?? I read a post once upon a time here where that happened to a member and lost all his fish also.. Best of luck.
    Thank you
    I am leaning toward to ideals that some sort of chemical enter the tank and poison all fish
    I am trying to collect all puzzle pieces now
    BTW, windows on that room always closed.
    Last edited by BlackComet94; 06-23-2012 at 04:21 PM.

I haven't, but what do you mean by check gravel for waste?
    I change water 3 times/ week and clean gravel twice a week
    A friend of mine had the same thing happen to him he thought he had been cleaning his gravel well but after his fish died he gutted the tank and found a build up of waste he had missed , it was almost black in colour and smelt really bad.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast