Dennis Discus     Golden State Discus

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 106 to 119 of 119

Thread: Journal - First Pair with fry

  1. #106
    Registered Member Harry Marsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    712
    iTrader
    0

    Default Re: Journal - First Pair with fry

    Sorry if i missed this: you're doing the drip with tapwater? Chlorinated? (i skimmed above)

    Adding dechlorinator?

    I have a drip system as well. I once left it on all night: everything dead in the morning (no dechlorinator was able to be added overnight). It was an accident...I forgot to turn it off....

  2. #107
    Silver Member joshvito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Hamburg, NY
    Posts
    366
    iTrader
    0

    Default Re: Journal - First Pair with fry

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Marsh View Post
    Sorry if i missed this: you're doing the drip with tapwater? Chlorinated? (i skimmed above)

    Adding dechlorinator?

    I have a drip system as well. I once left it on all night: everything dead in the morning (no dechlorinator was able to be added overnight). It was an accident...I forgot to turn it off....
    i am not adding any dechlorinator, but there is an inline sediment and carbon filter to remove chlorine
    Last edited by joshvito; 02-12-2013 at 01:35 PM. Reason: typo
    -Josh
    TFCEC member
    http://www.tropical-fish-club-of-erie-county.com/

  3. #108
    Silver Member joshvito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Hamburg, NY
    Posts
    366
    iTrader
    0

    Default Re: Journal - First Pair with fry

    Sad to say, the runt of my eighth perished yesterday. He was getting more and more skeleton like, and stopped eating a week ago.

    Down to 7
    -Josh
    TFCEC member
    http://www.tropical-fish-club-of-erie-county.com/

  4. #109
    Silver Member joshvito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Hamburg, NY
    Posts
    366
    iTrader
    0

    Default Re: Journal - First Pair with fry

    Morning water testing





    -Josh
    TFCEC member
    http://www.tropical-fish-club-of-erie-county.com/

  5. #110
    Silver Member joshvito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Hamburg, NY
    Posts
    366
    iTrader
    0

    Default Re: Journal - First Pair with fry

    I doubled my drip rate on my drip over flow from ~50% daily change to ~80% calculated from http://www.angelfish.net/DripSystemcalc.php

    I would consider my fish to be growing slower than some of the other's contestants, and hope this change will help me catch up a bit. We'll see, I could never register high Nitrates, Nitrites, or ammonia in the tank at 50%, so maybe the problem is diet related or a combination of both.

    I will say, that this first time spawn has taught me a great deal and I now have the itch to try again. Now I see how some of you have multiple pairs and multiple tanks.
    -Josh
    TFCEC member
    http://www.tropical-fish-club-of-erie-county.com/

  6. #111
    Registered Member Kal-El's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Glen Ellyn, IL
    Posts
    2,510
    iTrader
    0

    Default Re: Journal - First Pair with fry

    Quote Originally Posted by joshvito View Post
    I doubled my drip rate on my drip over flow from ~50% daily change to ~80% calculated from http://www.angelfish.net/DripSystemcalc.php

    I would consider my fish to be growing slower than some of the other's contestants, and hope this change will help me catch up a bit. We'll see, I could never register high Nitrates, Nitrites, or ammonia in the tank at 50%, so maybe the problem is diet related or a combination of both.

    I will say, that this first time spawn has taught me a great deal and I now have the itch to try again. Now I see how some of you have multiple pairs and multiple tanks.
    Try doing 100% daily WC if you can. What I've learn is clean water and a good diet is the key to their growth success. I got the same fish Josie has and I'm doing what she is doing and my biggest fish is growing at the same rate as her contest fish.

    When I first got them they range from 1.5-2.5". Between that size to 4" I did 150% daily WC in a 29gallon. 50% in the morning and 100% at night. Feed them 4-5 times a day. Now they are in my 75 gallon in which I do 80% daily.

    I'm sure if you up the WC your fish will grow at a faster rate... Good luck...

  7. #112
    Silver Member joshvito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Hamburg, NY
    Posts
    366
    iTrader
    0

    Default Re: Journal - First Pair with fry

    Here is a video at about 8.5 months.
    Fish are eating Freeze Dried Beefheart from Aquatic Foods.

    -Josh
    TFCEC member
    http://www.tropical-fish-club-of-erie-county.com/

  8. #113
    Silver Member joshvito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Hamburg, NY
    Posts
    366
    iTrader
    0

    Default Re: Journal - First Pair with fry

    I haven't changed my schedule with this tank, and the water parameters have stayed consistent. I did remove the poret foam divider for cleaning and replaced it with a home made divider of my own invention.

    Since I removed the poret foam divider/filter, I added a whisper power filter I had laying around.

    Last edited by joshvito; 05-19-2013 at 03:14 PM.
    -Josh
    TFCEC member
    http://www.tropical-fish-club-of-erie-county.com/

  9. #114
    Registered Member a volar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Oxnard Ca.
    Posts
    1,162
    iTrader
    5 (100%)

    Default Re: Journal - First Pair with fry

    Quote Originally Posted by joshvito View Post
    I haven't changed my schedule with this tank, and the water parameters have stayed consistent. I did remove the poret foam divider for cleaning and replaced it with a home made divider of my own invention.

    Since I removed the poret foam divider/filter, I added a whisper power filter I had laying around.

    http://<a href="https://www.youtube....ata_player</a>
    Link doesn't work......
    -Ismael

  10. #115
    Registered Member rdiscus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    N.Dallas
    Posts
    1,518
    iTrader
    1 (100%)

    Default Re: Journal - First Pair with fry

    Ryan

  11. #116
    Silver Member joshvito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Hamburg, NY
    Posts
    366
    iTrader
    0

    Default Re: Journal - First Pair with fry

    Stay tuned all, I'm working on getting my 12 months measurement shots together and taking some final photos of my best 2 fish.
    -Josh
    TFCEC member
    http://www.tropical-fish-club-of-erie-county.com/

  12. #117
    Registered Member TheMutlu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    40
    iTrader
    0

    Default Re: Journal - First Pair with fry

    Quote Originally Posted by John_Nicholson View Post
    It would be like breeding 2 plow horses and getting a race horse...possible, but very, very unlikely.

    -john
    Perfect touch john,

  13. #118
    Silver Member joshvito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Hamburg, NY
    Posts
    366
    iTrader
    0

    Default Re: Journal - First Pair with fry

    These fish are now ~1.5yrs old.
    Here is a quick video from last night.



    At what point do most of you move your fish from their grow out tank to the display tank? I'm assuming the advantage of a grow out tank is non-existent at 1.5yrs.
    -Josh
    TFCEC member
    http://www.tropical-fish-club-of-erie-county.com/

  14. #119
    Registered Member Discusdude7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Orlando,FL
    Posts
    1,098
    iTrader
    1 (100%)

    Default Re: Journal - First Pair with fry

    How big now?

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Cafepress