AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Journal - First Pair with fry

Default Re: Journal - First Pair with fry

Very cool
    Interesting thought on the divided tank. I wonder how well the water mixes between the two sides.
    never heard of that kind of foam, where did you find it? What's it typically used for?

Joshvito I commend you for taking the leap into the breeding end of this hobby. As has been mentioned and isnt worth argueing over, the parents are not the best possible picks for the greatest possible outcome. However at the very least you can learn and take away so much from this experience. One of the things I would hope you take away is the cost and effort of raising fry, I believe for that fact alone a majority of us will be VERY picky about the fish that we choose to spawn. Because if the effort is going to be put in we want to maximize the outcome and the improvement of this hobby. Please my friend do not take this as rude whatsoever. I commend you because no matter what it takes GREAT effort to raise discus fry, and that is a huge success in and of itself. That is an amazing accomplishment. I only hope and intend to push you towards taking this hobby further with each successful spawn. Now you know you can do it, I hope you intend to continue in your adventure and with beautiful parents, which any discus keeper generally aspires to have and create.
    Drew Harris, owner of Drewbus Discus
    Send inquiries to: drewbusdiscus@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by limige View Post
    Very cool
    Interesting thought on the divided tank. I wonder how well the water mixes between the two sides.
    never heard of that kind of foam, where did you find it? What's it typically used for?
    The foam is pretty porous. I have tested the parameters separately on both sides, and I get the same readings twenty minutes after a water change.

Poret foam is from Germany, I think.? It is what is used in Hamburg Mattenfilters.
    The only place I know to purchase the foam in the US is at Swiss Tropicals.

Make sure to take a look at his fish room while you are there, it's pretty cool.
    Last edited by joshvito; 07-20-2012 at 08:53 AM.
    -Josh
    TFCEC member
    http://www.tropical-fish-club-of-erie-county.com/

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusDrew View Post
    Joshvito I commend you for taking the leap into the breeding end of this hobby. As has been mentioned and isnt worth argueing over, the parents are not the best possible picks for the greatest possible outcome. However at the very least you can learn and take away so much from this experience. One of the things I would hope you take away is the cost and effort of raising fry, I believe for that fact alone a majority of us will be VERY picky about the fish that we choose to spawn. Because if the effort is going to be put in we want to maximize the outcome and the improvement of this hobby. Please my friend do not take this as rude whatsoever. I commend you because no matter what it takes GREAT effort to raise discus fry, and that is a huge success in and of itself. That is an amazing accomplishment. I only hope and intend to push you towards taking this hobby further with each successful spawn. Now you know you can do it, I hope you intend to continue in your adventure and with beautiful parents, which any discus keeper generally aspires to have and create.
    You make a few very good points, for now, I am just enjoying the ride.
    -Josh
    TFCEC member

Registered Member

sounds like a fun ride enjoy

I think the poret idea is wonderful

I may incorporate that at some point for concentrating brine shrimp feedings

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Marsh View Post
    I think the poret idea is wonderful

I may incorporate that at some point for concentrating brine shrimp feedings
    Works really well, the fry are able to snatch up their daily feeding of fry in minutes with very little getting grabbed by the filter.
    -Josh
    TFCEC member

My Daily Feeding/Maintenance Schedule from Day 5 to present

To give readers a better understanding of what has been working for me to this point in time, here is a summary of my daily schedule. The only thing that I have changed since Day 5, is the amount of food I was feeding. When the parents were in the tank, I fed a bit less, as the fry seemed less interested in food, and were feeding from the parents.

7:00 AM
    1. Let yesterdays Brine Shrimp Settle
    2. Mix up new Brine Shrimp
    3. Feed Fry Crumbled Eathworm flake
    4. Feed other fish/tanks too
    5. Feed Baby Brine Shrimp
    6. Plug in aerator and heater for replacement water

Every morning, I find 15 minutes to head down into the fish room to feed the fish. Some days, I am more pressed for time than others, but I always make sure the fry get fed before I head off to work.

6:00 PM

2. Feed other fish/tanks too
    3. Feed Baby Brine Shrimp

First thing I do when I get home from work, is feed the fish again. Relax and watch to make sure everyone is eating and the tanks appear healthy and stable. Watching your fish each day, you can tell if something is wrong many times just by noticing a difference.

~10:30 PM
    Last thing I do for the day before I head up to bed.
    2. Water Change - Remove 30 Gallons(Size of my holding tank) of water from fish tank on non-fry side**
    3. Turn pump on to add water back to non-fry side
    4. Feed the remainder of the Brine from yesterday (all BBS is fed between 24-40hrs of mixing)
    5. Feed frozen blood-worms or Mysis Shrimp or crumbled balanced flake (alternate)
    6. Empty BBS container and fill with fresh water and salt (I aerate this water overnight, so I can just add BS eggs/cysts in the AM)

** My water change is RO water with added Seachem Equilibrium to make it 70-90 TDS. While refilling with this water, I add 2L of lukewarm tap water with Seachem Prime. My TDS reads near 100 on most days. If I check it and it is below 70, I may top off with a bit more tap water, but the daily water changes usually keep the TDS in that 70-90 range. Sometimes if I get busy, I miss one water change a week.

I'll get some photos up later this week to show some growth.
    Last edited by joshvito; 07-31-2012 at 09:38 AM. Reason: added details
    -Josh
    TFCEC member

Hmmm, I always let my fry go straight back to aged airated tap after they hatch, seems to work for me though Im not discrediting your approach. I just never want to even have to think about whether or not there was a mineral defficiency in the water. They love my hard water, they just dont love to hatch into it Good job thus far, things seem to be going well.
    Drew Harris, owner of Drewbus Discus
    Send inquiries to: drewbusdiscus@gmail.com

@DiscusDrew
    I use RO at this point due to lack of holding containers. I like have RO on hand but lack a second container at the moment. I also only have one water source, so I need to unhook my RO unit in order to get tap water.

I will probably switch over soon, as I plan to move them to a continuous overflow system ASAP.

TFCEC Member
    Tropical Fish Club of Erie County
    -Josh
    TFCEC member

Day 28

TFCEC Member
    Tropical Fish Club of Erie County
    -Josh
    TFCEC member

I haven't culled or lost a fish yet.
    I need to re-check the rules, and figure out when I need to select a smaller group of fish.
    There are definately 40-60 fry at this point.

They are still eating a lot of BBS and ZooMed Earthworm formula flakes.
    I occasionally toss in some frozen mysis or bloodworms.
    -Josh
    TFCEC member

first of all i want to say that amazing photo you used

Day 38
    I sat and watched the juveniles for a while yesterday, looking for any apparent defects or for dark colored sickly fish, and could not find any. I am still having trouble counting the fry, they move so much. I believe I will have to choose 8 contest fish from the batch soon, and since I have two distinct patterns, I will most likely split my choice of 8 between the two phenotype. I should really check out the rules thread and figure when this decision needs to be made.

Does anyone have suggestions for picking the best fish as contest fish?
    I cannot really choose this early on color, so shape and size is a good indicator...?
    -Josh
    TFCEC member

Can you see peppering on any of them yet? cull or separate those ones from the contest fish to start with.
    ~ Pete
    any advice I give is just that, advice. I say it because it's what works for me.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast