ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Arturo's Contest Fish

Default Re: Arturo's Contest Fish

I think I would be quick to blame the beef heart

Maybe the fry were picking at it because they were starving, no other choice?
    Do fry that Small even have a digestive system to handle meat?

Your death rate sounds similar to batches when I was young to this and was trying to raise fry on artificial foods

All seemed well until die offs of 20% of the fish at a time... As they slowly starved and died in waves
    A few would survive....the ones that ate the most

Quote Originally Posted by MadDiscus View Post
    same here, i use tap water w/ prime too and hope it's not because of tap water. I'll need to retest my water.

Arturo - do you age your water?
    I do, for the fry only 24 hours approximately...and don't worry the only difference here is the I live 2 1/2 miles from a water treatment facility... keep growing those babes
    -- Arthur Dominguez --

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Marsh View Post
    I think I would be quick to blame the beef heart

Maybe the fry were picking at it because they were starving, no other choice?
    Do fry that Small even have a digestive system to handle meat?

Your death rate sounds similar to batches when I was young to this and was trying to raise fry on artificial foods

All seemed well until die offs of 20% of the fish at a time... As they slowly starved and died in waves
    A few would survive....the ones that ate the most
    Harry I'm sorry to let you down but its not the beef heart mix, it was my water as I live only 2 1/2 miles from a water treatment, facility just to add more info I'm raising two other batches from other pairs they are around 2 1/2 and the same thing happen to them fast breading and eating less food but not dead ones so that its telling me the my water was treat with more chemicals or higher amounts; the same happen to me last year lost 2 batches of fry around the same size that's why now i had place a lots of carbon in a filter to filter my water 24 hours before add it to my tanks..

The fry were eating flakes as well, plus my beef heart mix only consist with 30% of beef heart 70% are the rest of the components thanks for your opinion..
    -- Arthur Dominguez --

Interesting if true

I would like to see juvies on beef heart that young

Heck, I stay on bbs for nearly a month before I transition to golden pearls

Registered Member

Even if you don't have fish for the contest I would be very interested in the outcome of the cross you have.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmjeff View Post
    Even if you don't have fish for the contest I would be very interested in the outcome of the cross you have.
    Thanks.. I will have some soon I can still enter the fish till August 15 some there is plenty time just make sure to check back lol.
    -- Arthur Dominguez --

So, the death was from one water change without aged water?
    Was that the conclusion?

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Marsh View Post
    Interesting if true

I would like to see juvies on beef heart that young

Heck, I stay on bbs for nearly a month before I transition to golden pearls
    Well it works for me LOL.....Two weeks free swimming eating beef heart......Josie

Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

You have until September 1st by the new rules my friend so hopefully you can get some in. Sorry for your losses, guess in the end its just part of this game so we move on and try changing it up.

Harry, why do you choose to feed golden pearls? I'm just curious, I know you don't do it immediately, at around a month I start moving to other foods as well but it rapidly approaches a standard juvenile diet, FDBW, BH mix, bills BH flakes and the like. Ask ground pretty fine still but i'm just curious.
    Drew Harris, owner of Drewbus Discus
    Send inquiries to: drewbusdiscus@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusDrew View Post
    You have until September 1st by the new rules my friend so hopefully you can get some in. Sorry for your losses, guess in the end its just part of this game so we move on and try changing it up.

Harry, why do you choose to feed golden pearls? I'm just curious, I know you don't do it immediately, at around a month I start moving to other foods as well but it rapidly approaches a standard juvenile diet, FDBW, BH mix, bills BH flakes and the like. Ask ground pretty fine still but i'm just curious.

I was a little confused myself I thought maybe Harry could share in that a little more....Josie
    Chicago Discus

Conclusion:
    I have talked with a couple discus experts/breeders, reported the tank parameters, food being feed, and every symptoms the fry suffered before they died. The conclusion based on their opinion was that it had to be something in the water on the final water change that did permanent damage to their gills.
    -- Arthur Dominguez --

Quote Originally Posted by Silver View Post
    Conclusion:
    I have talked with a couple discus experts/breeders, reported the tank parameters, food being feed, and every symptoms the fry suffered before they died. The conclusion based on their opinion was that it had to be something in the water on the final water change that did permanent damage to their gills.

Yea its not beef heart LOL...lOL..we knew that.....Josie
    Chicago Discus

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and Homesteader TNT77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusDrew View Post

Golden pearls are a good addition to the diet. They tend to stay in the water column longer than flake does so they can help transition fry from live to dry foods.
    Tara Bennett
    Phone: 815-876-0516

Hmmm I just haven't heard much positive with them but that's generally from people using them too early. Makes sense in principle, I just usually don't have any problems getting them onto dry foods, one day starvation at the most then they eat like pigs again lol. Maybe I'll play around with them a little next time I make an order from Ken.
    Drew Harris, owner of Drewbus Discus
    Send inquiries to: drewbusdiscus@gmail.com

Real Name
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Silver View Post
    Conclusion:
    I have had it happen to me to many times my friend. You know I live in a small town and I never know what they are doing with my water, but now I a very good filtration system for the water coming into my fish room thanks to Paul or pcsb23 here on SD, without a doubt an expert when it comes to water. As Josie said it was not your beef heart mix not IMO, I always have my fry on beef heart mix as soon as they will take it always by 3 weeks at the latest in most cases have them eating it just a little past a week and never had any bad side affects, in fact IMO the sooner you can get them on beef heart the better they really grow fast on it.
    Well don't let this get you down, get another batch going its not to late.
    Larry
    Proud member of the SDT Crew Florida
    Great ways to donate to SimplyDiscus and Fund Raisers !!!
    http://www.cafepress.com/simply_discus
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/bppl_donate.php
    http://aquaticsuppliers.com/Freeze-dried-foods_c2.htm

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast