ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Whey protein?

Real Name
    Brandon Trier

Default Whey protein?

I remember back to my old college baseball days and using whey protein in my daily diet to gain mass. This made me wonder about puttin it into food. Does anyone or has anyone heard of anyone doing this?
    -Brandon
    Discus.....The best cult I've been a part of!
    B's Bunker

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Whey protein?

Brandon, for bulking up the fish? Wonder if it is good for the fish (or for humans for that manner)
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Brandon Trier

I was thinking just to upping the protein in foods you make for your fish. It comes from milk so I'm not sure how that will affect they fishes digestive system. If I ever get a spawn I was thinking of keeping some culls and seeing how this affects them. A little mad scientist project? That is unless someone has done this before and has some info. I'm just curious most of all
    -Brandon
    Discus.....The best cult I've been a part of!
    B's Bunker

Fish will only absorb a certain amount of protein then the rest will just get pooped out. If you are feeding a good seafood or beefheart mix or a quality dry food the added protein is not needed. Add some pro growth if you want to add some magic to the mix
    --Don--

Registered Member

Hey man, people feed discus beef heart, why not whey protein. but I agree with lipadj46, at some point, it is a little bit over doing it. Red meat...whey protein...that is allot of protein. Not even most humans eat that much.

Fish absorb some proteins better than others. If you search around you can find the articles.
    --Don--

Registered Member

Well, if one takes a step back and just look at a discus and how it behaves, mouth shape (and similar species in North America like bass, sunfish) - they are mainly insects/larvae eaters. Eat the some small fish, small worms, small shrimps, pick at algae and detritus (decomposed leaves). They don't eat things that have allot of huge protein, so they must be efficient in getting what they need from what they eat. Feeding them stuff like whey protein (which I use to drink in those body building drinks back in highschool) seems like over kill.

But hey, why not I guess. part of the fun is playing around.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and Homesteader TNT77's Avatar
    Tara Bennett
    Phone: 815-876-0516

There are real peer reviewed journal articles that go into more depth out there. They are geared more towards farmed fish but there are not too many scientific ornamental fish nutrition studies out there so you take what you can get
    --Don--