AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: ghost shrimp

Registered Member

Default ghost shrimp

When I got my stingray the guy at the lfs said he lives ghost shrimp. At .50 each its not a killer but will add up over time. I was thinking of buying one of the fluval shrimp tanks and attempting to raise my own for a constant supply. Has anyone done this and can offer some advise?

Default Re: ghost shrimp

Sometimes rays can be hard to get on other foods but they will always go nuts for ghost shrimp. Slowly keep trying other foods as the rays settles in they most likely will eat other things you offer them. Here is a list of what I have found they like and some of what I feed mine now. If the ray is small you might want to start him off on very small pieces or blackworms. I take shrimp, scallops, or tilapia and cut into very small pieces and use that until they get big enough to take larger pieces. Buy salad shrimp or bay scallops those are the smallest you can get at the stores here. I only buy ghost shrimp as a treat not a main source of food gets costly.

Frozen Scallops
    Frozen Shrimp
    Blackworms
    Frozen Talipia
    Mussels
    Earth Worms
    My wife names my fish

Get a 10 gallon tank and some red cherry shrimp, they will breed like crazy in no time.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and Homesteader TNT77's Avatar

As the ray gets larger it will be extremely hard to keep up on breeding your own food. It will be easier to switch them over to other foods when they are smaller. I started out with live blackworms..then went to frozen..then mixed some frozen blackworms into a turkey/seafood mix. Now my rays will eat just about anything I drop into the tank. And honestly every single time you go to buy shrimp from your lfs you are exposing your rays to everything that might have passed through the store.
    Tara Bennett
    Phone: 815-876-0516