AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this normal poop?

Registered Member

Default Is this normal poop?

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

Is this poop normal looking? they've been pooping like this ever since I got them 1 month ago. I thought it was normal until I got new discus in my other tank and those discus has "regular" poop ie black/solid per my recent research. So now I'm worried that i may have to deworm these guys?? The poop are string like, can reach 2 inches in length.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

All discus are acting normal, good color. They come greet me when I feed them. They don't hide. All have good appetites. They are fed beef heart mix, flakes and granules, occasional hikari bloodworms. They are fed twice a day. More on the weekends.

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

None. I do 50% water changes daily. More on the weekends.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

Tank is established for 1 year +. Discus are 3+ inches. I have 5 of them in a 37 gallon tank.

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?
    Daily at least 50%

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp ___85__

- ph _6.4____

- ammonia reading ____0

- nitrite reading ____0

- nitrate reading ____0

- well water ____No

- municipal water ____yes

7. Any new fish/plants added recently
    no

Poop pictures below.

Registered Member

Default Re: Is this normal poop?

I have had good success deworming all of my discus with PraziPro, ready to use liquid concentrate. I use it as directed on the bottle. I would also do a daily water changes to eliminate any worm eggs that may be in the tank.
    Last edited by Longhorn2750; 07-22-2012 at 05:39 PM.

no that is not normal. could be a few things. I would first treat metro for flagellates then deworm with piperazine, flubendazole, fenbendazole in food.
    Jim

Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback. The following would be my next course of action:

1. Limit their food intake for 24 hours
    2. Do 90% water change and clean aquarium. Take out carbon.
    3. Fill up tank to halfway point or 20 gallons. It will be easier to dose the tank.
    4. I have API general cure which is 250mg metro and 75 mg prazi per packet for each 10 gallons
    5. Dose the tank. No water changes for 48 hours.
    6. Change 25% water. Re-dose the tank. No water changes for 48 hours.
    7. put carbon back. Water change then fill back up to the top.

Feeding will be minimal as to keep water semi clean. Will probably feed just granules.
    I will keep temperature at 86.

Please let me know if any of the above can be tweaked/improved/changed to address my situation.

Thanks

For the first few days try feeding 1x a day frozen bw's and see if feces changes, (I doubt it, but possible). I use only pure metro 1/4 tsp per 20 for 10 days, temp 88, redose 1x a day with at least 25% wc. the prazi will do nothing especially if you just used it. if they had tape worms yes, but you should have seen them come out after a few days of prior use. you could use what you have then use plain metro,http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...ZyYhWA&cad=rja they have it. best to get some into their food too.
    for piperazine a week later http://www.rockymountaindiscus.com/ Al has it.
    Jim

Registered Member

Jim, thanks for the links. Ordered the meds and the medicated food from rocky mountain. I'll try what you suggested. I might as well medicate my new arrivals as well just to make sure (i have 4 small discus in a 20 gallon qt tank which eventually I will put in my main tank. It's a semi qt tank, as in separate tank, but I use the same siphon and buckets to clean both tanks unfortunately). My qt period would have consisted of just acclimation, observation and medication if needed. Looks like now I have to medicate.

If you have a microscope, take a fresh fecal sample and examine it carefully. Yhat is one way to find out for sure what the issue is. You might be able to see any worm eggs.
    Bob Daniel Hopkinsville, KY

Registered Member

Thanks. Wish I had a microscope. Looking to cure this and work on better prevention going forward. I've been feeding just hikari frozen bloodworms since yesterday and all day today. The feces does look different though. They are are darker and shorter and there is a lot less of it. They are all still eating voraciously and acting normal. I really hate to medicate but I'm going on business trip in three weeks and im hoping they are in tip top condition while I'm away. I'll wait another day to observe and start API general cure tomorrow evening.

If it's clearing that's good but I would still clean them up, whatever made their feces white should be knocked back now. a metro treatment ime helps most discus along. if not caught right away it will keep returning and fish will eventually lose. not always, but often.
    Jim

Registered Member

Thanks for the advice. After 2 days of API general cure and 7 days of Metro, prazipro and the dewormer, the feces is looking "normal". The fish are active and their colors are actually more vibrant.

Good going!
    Bob Daniel Hopkinsville, KY

You should have only been doing metro... And maybe prazi at the same time... Piperazine should not be mixed with those medications... Piperazine should have been a flow up to 10 days of metro treatment for flagellates.
    Drew Harris, owner of Drewbus Discus
    Send inquiries to: drewbusdiscus@gmail.com

Registered Member

Oops. Oh well. I will keep observing and lets see of any ill effects or non effects of the treatment. So far so good,
    I did follow the directions on the bags though. Metro daily for 5 days. Dewormer days 1,3,and 5. No mention of not mixing them.

Yeah thats because thats the basic principle of medicating period. Well whats done is done, however even if the meds do not have ill effects if mixed together the problem is their effectiveness can be changed. Point is just be careful to follow directions, the directions here, on simply, gave you instructions to only use metro. Prazi can be used with metro but thats about it generally. I dont mean that mean but if we were doing a formalin treatment or something your fish would be dead haha.
    Drew Harris, owner of Drewbus Discus
    Send inquiries to: drewbusdiscus@gmail.com

Registered Member

Suddenly I have the same problem with one of my 12 Discus. They all produced normal black/dark poop until today, when one produced a long white string which was obviously hard to get rid of. It looks OK otherwise. I was advised to use WormerPlus, and this has been done. Can't do any harm anyway. But other experts say it could be caused by a parasite called Spironucleus, and that is far more serious.....Does anyone know of a cure for that??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast