ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Withdrawn: Drew's Dark Angel Contest Fry, Batch 1

Default Withdrawn: Drew's Dark Angel Contest Fry, Batch 1

Well I figured I would get my thread going finally, these are the fry I think I will use for the competition. Since we have time Im not positive as of yet, I have another batch going but almost all sold already, but Im hoping for a batch of WB fry and if that happens by the entry deadline then I may switch to those guys. Without further ado, heres the babies!! (Will edit and add pictures and video when photobucket finishes uploading)

Strain: Dark Angel

Born on: 07/07/12 (This is the first day free swimming)

Feeding schedule: Brine shrimp are fresh hatched twice daily, with 5 feedings happening throughout the day, two from the first batch and three when I get home from work each night. They also started recieving ground FDBW about three days ago (07/19/12), they always peck and eat almost all of the ground worms.

Water Change Schedule: They recieve two daily water changes, the first is a 100% water change every morning AFTER their first two feedings of brine shrimp. They then recieve a 50% water change every night after their last feeding.

Cleaning schedule: Every few days the tank is wiped down entirely and the sponge filter squeezed and rinsed in aquarium water. I do this very often because of all the baby brine shrimp that can accumulate and die off in the filter. Only filtration used is a sponge filter. They are currently in a 10 gal tank, seperated from parents at approximately 12 days.

Current Size: Approximately dime size or a little smaller at two weeks. Batch of fry is right around 30 fish, will get a more accurate count when they get a little larger.

Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 02-23-2013 at 03:11 AM. Reason: Changed title
    Drew Harris, owner of Drewbus Discus
    Send inquiries to: drewbusdiscus@gmail.com

Registered Member

Default Re: Drew's 2012 Contest Fry, Journal

Congrates do you have 2 pair of dark angels ? your other post said you got the pair on the 7/19/2012... Dark angels not my cup of tea but there are unique gl on the contest

These fry are from that pair, Free swimming date documented from Hans. If I get another batch of fry out of them before the contest dates end then Ill probably use that batch, or a batch of carnations potentially, I havent decided yet. The current batch of carnation x red velvet is due to be sold and I dont have any intentions of keeping them for a year, so maybe the next batch but for now, these guys are it for the contest.

Video of the babies added to the original post, enjoy! Hope everyone likes the baby angels

Ohh and Here is mom and dad, they are very heavily colored as they turned blue and darkened up for the fry prior to attachment. I find the beauty in this strain is their intense ability to change their colors to a far larger degree than we see from most others, especially pigeons.

Dad

Mom

The Pair

Last edited by DiscusDrew; 07-23-2012 at 03:06 AM.

Is mom really that blue wow.

Enter all of them
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Just sold the last of the carnation x velvet fry at about a quarter size Skip, BUT you should be happy to know I have some white butterfly that should be back on eggs in a day or two hopefully and if all goes well (you know how it goes, no guarantees in this game) they will most definitely be entered in the competition. I'm going to screen them and everything this time for best chance if success.

At this point in their growth there is easily distinguished two color variants in my dark angel spawn. About 4 or 5 appear a much darker color for some reason and the others are much lighter, I expect those will be more like Dad and might get a few that have the blue like mom. I'll post another video in a few days when a week has gone by to update their progress. For now no changes other than they're growing like weeds. Still feeding artemia 5x per day and ground black worms once per day. Will introduce ground Bill's BH flakes within a few days most likely.

OK everybody, i appologize for the delay but here we go. Week 3 video is UP!!! First part of the video actually shows my Dark Angel pair with a new batch of about 200 or so eggs, pretty good sized batch so hopefully all goes well and they opt to keep them, so far so good. If they do I will start a new thread as Batch 2 of Dark Angel fry. My other pairs have been giving me hell lately so Dark Angels may be my only contestants this year at least.

Anyway, Im going to take care of the typing part of the update while the video is uploading, even though I cover most of this in the video if you listen to the audio. Hope you guys enjoy it!! They're growing at a good rate and everyone is healthy.

Age & Count: Just over 3 weeks FS, went FS on 7/7/12, 22 fry in this batch confirmed

Feeding: Still recieving BBS 6x per day or more depending on schedule, fresh hatched twice daily then incubated. One feeding per day (usually morning since they are hungriest then) is either ground FDBW or ground BH w/ Pro Growth flakes from Bill.

Maintenance: Trying out doing two 95% water changes per day right now to see if there are any effects (I know not all variables are controlled). Tank is scrubbed 2x per week right now due to the large feeding schedule, filter squeezed out every other day (I use bacteria supplements at this stage again because of the high feeding schedule and often cleansing of the tank) Might be excessive but Im pretty cautious when it comes to fry.

Fish & Tank Size: The fish are now larger than dime size and actually look like discus haha, you can tell the difference from my video a week or so ago for sure. They are currently in a 10 gallon aquarium still, but tomorrow is their first moving day (they're busy packing right now)!! 37 gallon is set up and ready to rock, so I will post pictures most likely tomorrow of them in their new (old) tank.

I WANT COMMENTARY, WHAT DO YOU LIKE? WHAT DO YOU DO DIFFERENTLY? DO YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS? The point of this whole thing is to LEARN and grow in this hobby, I expect theres much I do right and much I could improve on and above all that is my main quest in this competition (setting aside winning of course but I have that sandbagged lol....)

Thats it for right now, video is posted. Enjoy!!
    Last edited by DiscusDrew; 08-12-2012 at 03:41 AM.

Default Re: Drew's Dark Angel Contest Fry, Batch 1

Fun and informative thanks and looking great.
    ~ Pete
    any advice I give is just that, advice. I say it because it's what works for me.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by donnievoks View Post
    keep posting.........
    donnievoks, this is not a good place for you to boost your post count.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Pat

Well done Drew, you will be upping the documentation standard if you keep this up, but that is a good thing. Your little guys look great and congrats on the new dark angel spawn. Are you going to let the parents give this batch a go?
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 08-01-2012 at 03:15 PM.

That's the plan I think, we'll see how it goes. God knows we don't get to make that decision sometimes haha but I'll let them give it a go. Only potential problem I foresee is that Dad can get pretty aggressive.... Her tail was clipped and finally grown back from the last batch. I'll try to document everything the best I can, you know how it goes sometimes time is a killer. I'm excited to track this next batch though if all goes well, then I'll actually catch attachment and everything as it goes by, hopefully they give me the opportunity!!

When you said I'll be upping the documentation... Is there something i'm forgetting that I should include for everyone?

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusDrew View Post
    ...When you said I'll be upping the documentation... Is there something i'm forgetting that I should include for everyone?
    Nope, that was just a nice video on your BBS hatchery If I get another go with batch B2 I will include more documention on that batch in my homesteader section since I do these wilds a bit different.

Ohhh i'm sorry hun, I reread what you said and I get it now, thank you I personally would love to see the differences, particularly given or future potential. Getting into breeding us such an amazing and learning experience. I hope this competition in general eggs more people on in moving that direction. It certainly is a beautiful part of this hobby. It can be so tough to make the time but when you see those cute little things every morning you can't help but keep going!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast