AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Withdrawn: Drew's Dark Angel Contest Fry, Batch 1

Default Re: Drew's Dark Angel Contest Fry, Batch 1

Btw i'm slightly pissed at you, you just HAD to bring in some other dark angel fry to the competition huh? LOL No i'm excited about that batch actually. I don't have blue diamonds so I can't play with that cross and i'm very interested to see the results.
    Drew Harris, owner of Drewbus Discus
    Send inquiries to: drewbusdiscus@gmail.com

Real Name
    Rick

Drew,

It is my guess (and it is just that, a guess) that you might get 1-2 of the dark type out of a spawn. With what Hans has shared with his knowledge of the genetics of the strain (silver pigeon x Blue diamond x Marlboro red), I think it is highly unlikely that the DA's will breed 100% true.

Perhaps the Dark ones you are seeing are either missing the BD gene, or something to do with the coloration that in inherited from the MR. At any rate it will be extremely interesting to compare your results breeding two dark angels to my results breeding a Dark Angel to a Blue diamond. I am also getting a jumbo Blue Ss from Hans this saturday, of which I plan on breeding to the double dark angel I have. Comparing all three spawns should give a pretty good idea of the basic genetic makeup of the Dark Angel.

I asked about the coloration of your fry as mine are nearing two weeks and I am suprised to see the amount of red in them, but I expect this will fade just as you have witnessed with your group.

Rick

Real Name
    Rick

Btw i'm slightly pissed at you, you just HAD to bring in some other dark angel fry to the competition huh?
    LOL, there is a funny story behind that and I can honestly say the fact that I even have this pair is purely an accident. These are not the fish I had picked out from Han's NADA show fish, but a purely honest mistake was made and these are what I recieved. Too date I haven't even had the Dark Angel and Blue diamond in a breeding tank, just pulled eggs from the community tank and let a foster pair raise them.

Rick

Very interesting, sounds right in line with my conversations with Hans about what a dark angel's genetic makeup is... From those three batches we should get a very good idea, and now this competitions value just grew immensely for me. As you may have heard or read, I lost that female and as you know I was very keen on finding a fish similar to yours and that was the closest me and Hans were able to get, so pretty shitty honestly. On Tuesday I am bringing in a cobalt pair, pigeon SS pair, and jumbo male pigeon SS... I'm planning on trying to (purely for experimentation) cross the cobalt with the male dark angel I have left over, assuming he can't fine a dark angel female by the time my order ships. I know it isn't ideal because of the stress bars but it should again give insight into the dark angel regardless.... Very interested to pursue this with you, I think the dark angel holds some potential and all of this may give us a direction to move. Nice to have someone else's tanks to have to compare against at the same time... Double the progress in half the time. I truly hope eventually you can get your "double"dark angel to lay successfully, it will teach and show a lot.

Real Name
    Rick

It's my belief that the dark angel and mercury are nearly identical, with the dark angel just having a bit of Marlboro thrown in the mix. While a solid blue PB discus would be cool, I think a real challange would be to create a true blue checkerboard pigeon.

Rick

I'd love it but that has to be 20 years or more... First step being a blue pigeon I would think, unless the genetics could simultaneously be intertwined with another pigeon's genetics perhaps.... checkerboard, pigeon blue, etc... I need to take some classes in genetics. I'm finding more and more of an interest but I need the base science... Not necessarily as it pertains to fish to begin with.

Great looking juvies Drew. The colors are starting to come out very nicely. I hope my Dark Angel fry look as good.
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

Registered Member

I was breeding these a few years back... there is a lot of mix in the genes you can make them very pink if you breed away the top layer of blue but its not something i have continued with, some you may find look like white butterfly i even had some throwbacks of what looked like snow leopard but pigeon base obviously.

Pink dark angel.............. blue diamond....................dark angel

Well anyway.... WEEK 6 UPDATE!!! Sorry for the delay guys but its just been really busy but these guys are growing right on track to be about 2" by 10 weeks. Right where I want them to be. Enjoy the video guys, as always would love feedback both good and critical, after all thats what makes this competition worthwhile. Lets Learn!!

Strain: Dark Angel
    Feeding: 6x per day, 4x with autofeeder filled with FDBW, BH Flake, Spirulina Flake, Seafood Flake, then I also feed once in the morning whatever I feel like, and in the evening they get whatever is left from the day of live BBS. They are no longer dependend on the BBS but it gets good nutrition so they get about everything they could get right now.
    Maintenance: Water changes done 100% per day one time, tanks are wiped daily, and the filter cleaned weekly.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

Look-in good Drew they look like they are right on mark.....Josie
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

Real Name
    Brandon Trier

Looking good Drew!
    -Brandon
    Discus.....The best cult I've been a part of!
    B's Bunker

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Very good Drew, I see several in there I would love to have. I really admired some of the Dark Angel showfish at NADA, hope you end up with some that look like those!
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

They are looking great.

Are you going to sell locally or ship ship as well?

Got a ? here are you looking to get the bluest fish or some of the pinkish or both .It looks like you have both just wondering I too love PBs I love the DAs.This contest is great.

Well thanks for the compliments everybody, I truly appreciate the feedback! Ive been very happy with this batch and honestly have kind of babied them a little just because I lost dad to the group (if you recall the ones that managed to jump a tank), so I'm doing everything possible to raise these guys right and give every opportunity for a similar fish to turn up.

Quote Originally Posted by Poco View Post
    They are looking great.

Are you going to sell locally or ship ship as well?
    Poco, I usually sell local and work my way out, but I am capable of shipping and all set up. Usually because it cuts my cost I sell as much locally as possible; however, its getting to be about time to expand that. Ive established somewhat of a market here but Im confident in my ability and quality enough that Im willing to spread the product a bit. Keep you eye out if interested, I will be posting in the fry for sell section when Im ready to get rid of these guys, I think I want just a little longer with them.

Quote Originally Posted by oldfar View Post
    Got a ? here are you looking to get the bluest fish or some of the pinkish or both .It looks like you have both just wondering I too love PBs I love the DAs.This contest is great.
    I will keep a mixture of the bunch, but almost every fish that shows potential to fill out in a blue color I will keep (regardless of if they are part of my 8 for the contest) simply because I want every chance to line breed towards creating a blue pigeon blood. That said, I enjoy some of the more pink DA I have seen so my taste varies and I will keep the ones that show the most potential for my breeding program, regardless of their color. For the contest, obviously Ill pick the 8 best all around fish.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast