AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help What is this!

Registered Member

Default Help What is this!

Just noticed these formations? i guess i would call them around the base of his fins.. ill put some pictures up to show you what im talking about...

ah nothing news been added to the tank, i do 50% water changes every other day. 5 discus in a 46 gallon bf, one pleco... i feed them beef heart tetra pellets, brine shrimp and bloodworms every once in a while.

please help me out !photo(6).JPGphoto(5).JPG

Registered Member

Default Re: Help What is this!

And this fish is still eating swimming and by all intensive purposes acting normal... I haven't seen these before looking for some insight

Registered Member

Anybody ?

Registered Member

It’s hard to tell from the pictures you posted, but I would defiantly move that fish to a quarantine/hospital tank if possible. I’m not an expert on meds but I would up the water changes for sure. I’m sure some of the experts on this site can suggest a treatment for your fish’s condition.

Is he tail standing? It appears that way in the picture so I figured Id check just in case. Anyway, it would appear to be external bacterial or POSSIBLY fungal damage. It could be a result of a protozoan causing a secondary bacterial infection but its hard to say. I would at the very least increase your water changes to daily for now, keep the tank as clean as possible, you dont want it to spread. In my experience I dont often have to treat external issues, but then I dont get many either as the tanks are kept pretty spotless. If you dont see improvement from water changes we can look at helping with an anti-bacterial at first, or at least that would be my first instinct. HTH, let us know if it progresses.
    Drew Harris, owner of Drewbus Discus
    Send inquiries to: drewbusdiscus@gmail.com

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Drew, look at the plant in the first picture.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

It looks like the start of some type of fungal growth to me. Check out this site (fishyfarmacy), it has a pretty good guide to most common fish diseases. I have never used any of the meds from their site.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Drew, look at the plant in the first picture.
    LOL thanks Pat I missed that haha. Maybe its one of those sideways growing plants that take root on the side glass panels.... LOL (kidding people)

I find that most people blame fungal issues when in reality its a bacterial cluster. It is possible but Ive found that about 90+% of the time when people think they have a fungal issue, they truly have a bacterial issue. If its fungal and has gotten to the point of being so visible to you... then your fish does not have long and in my opinion you have very little chance of overcoming it. Fungal spores will release into the bloodstream when it is that fully developed, which in turn poisons and kills the fish in very short order. So what Im saying is, improve the water quality, treat for bacterial if no improvement, because if its fungal your already screwed.

Registered Member

Please fill out the diseases questionnaire on this site and it will help give others more information to help you with your problem.

Registered Member

What should I treat with Discus drew?

Quote Originally Posted by Charhendrix View Post
    What should I treat with Discus drew?
    Fill out the the form.. That is SOP here
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

many times that is an area where parasites collect especially baby flukes. I would do a few salt dips,2-3% I prefer 3% but be careful. then into very clean tank.fungus grows on dead/damaged tissue tissue. some times the white growths appear with dirty water too but not usualy all in one area
    Jim

Real Name
    Ralph

It's best to fill out the questionnaire so that it's documented.
    By the looks of it you bought these guys about two weeks ago and the 2nd posted pic at the start of this thread http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...t-do-you-think.... indicates the fish was affected then.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Agreed, I can give you limited response based on a picture, or we can give you a complete diagnosis with the information provided in the questionaire. Otherwise you run a very strong risk of continueing to have problems because you have some unknown base cause of your problems. Please fill out the questionaire, then you will recieve a more well rounded diagnosis.

Registered Member

Sorry everyone, ive been really busy with work and the like, but here is the questionaire.

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started
    what i can only describe as white growths near one fin, i can see now that it started before i got them, but it wasnt noticeable to me apparently until i posted this...

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

really the only symptoms the fish has are the growths, still eats great socializes, no standing of any kind.. fins are up , poops a good color..

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

None yet, thinking about doing a salt dip later this evening if more people suggest it.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

46gallonbf , 2 1/2 months, 5 discus 4 ish inch size, 1 pleco.

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

recently switched to 50% every day, before that was doing 50-75% every other day. siphoning extra food off bottom on the days in between. bare bottom and no i dont age my water.

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp _____85

- ph _____7.3

- ammonia reading ____0

- nitrite reading ____0

- nitrate reading ____10

- well water ____

- municipal water ____yes

7. Any new fish/plants added recently

nope

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast