AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: 1000 mile ride - check that off my bucket list

Default 1000 mile ride - check that off my bucket list

One of my other hobbies is Motorcycles - and long distance riding! I just finished a ride that I've been wanting to do for quite a while. 1000 miles in one day on my 2001 Harley Davidson Road King Classic. Quite an adventure. I left Milford NH 7/25/2012 at 6:15AM EST and arrived just south of Milwaukee WI on 7/25/2012 11:36PM CST for a total of 1040miles straight through. For you riders out there - that's called an Iron Butt Ride. The next morning, I road north to Milwaukee about 20 miles and took in a tour of the Harley Davidson Museum before continuing north to my final destination - my sister in law's 50th birthday celebration in Forestville WI.

I broke the trip up on the way home - 600miles each day for two days. Thought I'd share that here for any of you bikers out there!

Adam

Registered Member

Default Re: 1000 mile ride - check that off my bucket list

That is so cool Adam!
    I really miss riding. I always rode a bike back in India. My next big purchase after graduating is a bike (the first one is going to be a 120 gal discus tank of course! ) Either a harley, or an enfield.
    ~Ashish
    http://ashtricusdiscus.blogspot.com/

Registered Member

Very cool! I always wanted to do a touring trip and have owned multiple bikes starting with. 73 yamaha Jt2mx when I was a kid. Most recent bike was a Yamaha V-star 1100 custom with all the goodies. That is so neat that you did it! Pictures?

Registered Member

hey NH. farthest I have gone in one day is 650m in 13.5 hours on a sportbike. Dad and I have a friend that did the Iron butt Rally that they do every 2 years. He came in 3rd on a 86 v65 magna. It was cool one of the stops ins in Maine.

I use to have a vstar 1100 Silverado - great bike. When you're solo trying to bang out miles - pictures sort of take a low priority. Now that you mention it though I really should have had someone take a picture at the end. Oh well - I was pretty tired.

Adam

650 miles on a sport bike is pretty brutal - I don't think I could do that.

Adam

I enjoyed following your trip on facebook! Looks like a lot of fun! Ride safe brother!

I am setting up my gixxer for a run down to Florida, including a 1000+ mile strech on the saddle! New rearsets, new saddle,risers on the clip-on bars, and soft bags. It should be a fun trip by myself!
    I have done plenty of long runs,but never on a sportsbike, I am building my endurance on it slowly, so far 5 hours on the saddle with gas stops only, I want to get that in at least once a week before I am ready for this fun trip! Hopefully end of September.

Rodrigo
    Rod Clement - SOS CREW NJ

Registered Member

yea it was a 93 cbr 100 no comfort upgrades. by the end of the day I couldn't turn my head, well not until many miller lights. I know have a 86 v65 magna but I can't ride as for or drink as much anymore.

What are you riding? A big enough gixxer would probably be OK - but not being able to change leg position and roll to another part of of your culo - will likely be pretty rough after a while. Funny, on my Road King - my inner thighs were really the only thing that was pretty sore for a few days. I thought that was a pretty odd place to be sore but - just like squeezing a horse I guess that's what happens even on a steel horse. You're a brave man to run 1000 miles on a sport bike. Check out http://www.ironbutt.com/ if you meet the documentation standards, they will certify your 1000 ride and you can get a pretty nice frameable certificate. Kind of cheesy, but a nice novelty to hang on the wall just the same - something to point to when I'm 80 years old riding a trike....

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by roclement View Post
    I enjoyed following your trip on facebook! Looks like a lot of fun! Ride safe brother!

I am setting up my gixxer for a run down to Florida, including a 1000+ mile strech on the saddle! New rearsets, new saddle,risers on the clip-on bars, and soft bags. It should be a fun trip by myself!
    I have done plenty of long runs,but never on a sportsbike, I am building my endurance on it slowly, so far 5 hours on the saddle with gas stops only, I want to get that in at least once a week before I am ready for this fun trip! Hopefully end of September.

Rodrigo

It's a 750cc GSxR, small and nimble! But that's the point! One crazy day of riding to have and cherish for the rest of my life! Like you said...something to look back to when you are old and riding trikes!

I rode 1000+ miles in one seating last October, never tought about checking the iron butt thing, I knew about it but never checked it out, shame, it is cheesy but kinda cool at the same time! I'll look into it this time around!

Ride safe!

Rod

Damn - that's going to be a tough 1000 miles my friend. There's no way I could do 1000 miles in that riding position - my body would be screaming! I suppose the miles would go faster on a faster bike... I averaged about 61 mph over the 1000 miles (several cities, gas stops, construction etc. included in that average - although I was usually traveling over 70mph.) I use google lattitude on my phone and have it linked up to http://www.spotwalla.com - it plots and tracks your ride for you with a passworded access URL for friends and family that you can email around. Pretty cool - and free! My wife loved it - no stopping at strip clubs though!

Good luck with the ride!

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by roclement View Post
    It's a 750cc GSxR, small and nimble! But that's the point! One crazy day of riding to have and cherish for the rest of my life! Like you said...something to look back to when you are old and riding trikes!

I rode 1000+ miles in one seating last October, never tought about checking the iron butt thing, I knew about it but never checked it out, shame, it is cheesy but kinda cool at the same time! I'll look into it this time around!

Ride safe!

Rod

Thanks! When I did 100+ I averaged 72mph on my gps, I was kinda impressed since I was on a Buell Ullyses and didn't realize how fast I was goign all the time! On the gixxer I may be slower since it's a police attractor! I do have a navigation unit with radar detector on it so I should (in theory) be OK...I am also planning on a straight line down I-95 South so the expressway should make my life easier in terms of milage.

I will look into spotwalla, that's a great idea and very easy to verify data and document the ride!

Rodrigo