AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Withdrawn - First attempt at breeding Discus - Log

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Shawn,

Please go into more detail on your water...what is your source waters parameter? Is it city water with Chloramine or chlorine? and Do you use any additives to neutralize that... Your ammonia values could be false positives...

all..
    we need to wait and watch how the fry develop..... Thats the whole point of having this contest... to give hobbyists a chance to raise their fry..their way. Methods that don't work will eventually be shown to not work....Its the beauty of this contest.

Shawn, a word of advice on what to look for IF the ammonia values are what you have tested... gill deformities and labored breathing may be an issue from ammonia burns. By adding RO right, you may be giving them some protection to Nitrites, but I would watch for Nitrite spikes...those are IMO, often more deadly to fry.

good luck,
    al

-al
    Al,

Thanks for chiming in. The water source is NYC municipal water, sometimes aged, sometimes not. The water does not contain chloramines, but chlorine. I use Safe when not aging the water.

In recent years, tests from the tap does not show any ammonia or nitrites, but very low nitrates and a neutral ph. Gh and kh are extremely low out of the tap as well.

I shouldn't have a nitrite spike due to no filtration in this tank, but I'll keep watch of it in the coming weeks.

Default Re: First attempt at breeding Discus - Log

Shawn,
    I'm not familar with "safe" being on a well here, but does anyone know if locks up/detoxes ammonia?

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Al, Safe is the concentrated, powdered form of Prime. It does lock/detox ammonia.

Safe
    Product Description
    Safe™ is the complete and concentrated dry conditioner for both fresh and salt water. Safe™ removes chlorine, chloramine and ammonia. Safe™ converts ammonia into a safe, non-toxic form that is readily removed by the tank’s biofilter. Safe™ may be used during tank cycling to alleviate ammonia/nitrite toxicity. Safe™ detoxifies nitrite and nitrate, allowing the biofilter to more efficiently remove them. Safe™ is non-acidic and will not impact pH. Safe™ will not overactivate skimmers. Use at start-up and whenever adding or replacing water.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Larry, Thanks!

If I had my guess...I would attribute the effects of the safe as the reason for the ammonia levels...and for them not being toxic. .... If I had a guess... Thats not to say the Safe is making ammonia...but it explains why its not toxic..

-al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 09-06-2012 at 03:20 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Larry, Thanks!

If I had my guess...I would attribute the effects of the safe as the reason for the ammonia levels...and for them not being toxic. .... If I had a guess... Thats not to say the Safe is making ammonia...but it explains why its not toxic..

-al
    Al,

I've only used tap water/safe on the babies once or twice. Everything else has been aged water. Last water change was a couple hours ago with aged. I'll take another reading tonight to see where we are with the aged water change.

Registered Member

Another water test this evening without the use of Safe or Prime, or any water conditioner except for RO Right, double dosed.

3 ppm ammonia

Water was changed after water test.

I've also made a short video to celebrate their one month of free swimming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx585nJMfIc
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by shawnhu View Post
    Another water test this evening without the use of Safe or Prime, or any water conditioner except for RO Right, double dosed.

3 ppm ammonia

Water was changed after water test.

I've also made a short video to celebrate their one month of free swimming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx585nJMfIc
    Just out of curiosity would you test your tap water for ammonia next time you do some tests?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by james1234 View Post
    Just out of curiosity would you test your tap water for ammonia next time you do some tests?
    Sure James.

Aged water:

0 ppm ammonia

Tank water:

2-3 ppm ammonia
    6.8 ph

Other parameters should remain the same.

I noticed last night after double disingenuous RO Right, 2 of the fry turned a little dark and started to shake and tailstand almost. I added some water conditioner to the tank and symptoms went away. I suspect that the higher gh and maybe kh from the RO Right may have turned the ammonia toxic. Today, I added conditioner to the aged water to increase water level to 95%.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Are you having a cycle issue and that is why the ammonia is present?
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Just a reminder that since Shawn has entered the competition, we are not welcome to post any advice or commentary unless asked. There may be methods used by any of the contestants that many do not agree with, but one of the goals of the competition is to compare the outcome reached by using different methods, whether the result is good or bad.

Len

Well said,thanks Len

So shawnhu,
    Your adding RO Right to increase gh and kh? Why not use more tap water in your mix? I never used RO Right so is there an advantage to using that vs just more hard tap water?
    I do what I must do, to do what I wish to do!
    dominik

Registered Member

My tap is very soft, 0 gh and 0 kh.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Are you having a cycle issue and that is why the ammonia is present?
    Hi Eddie! I don't have any filtration in the tank. The higher than normal temps and heavier feedings is causing the high ammonia.

I'm controlling the ammonia with lower ph and Safe at the moment, but when I'm ready to step up the RO Right dosage to a higher level, I'll need to figure something out with the ammonia.

Registered Member

It has been brought to my attention that some posts were removed due to inappropriate content. Although I don't know what was posted or by whom, I'm sure it was removed for good reason.

I've been a part of simply since I started keeping Discus, and although probably not as long as some of the folks here, I do really like the people and community here. Which is why I'm trying to give back some of my experiences, weather good or bad, it is what it is. If there is something you don't understand or just would like to ask a question, feel free to post here or PM me. If you plan on being closed minded and act childish like some have shown to be capable, please save it and join the others like you. Rude comments are not welcomed here, and I appreciate our moderators removing any content they deem inappropriate.

Thanks to those that are open minded and those that are supportive to a first time Discus breeder.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnhu View Post
    Hi Eddie! I don't have any filtration in the tank. The higher than normal temps and heavier feedings is causing the high ammonia.

I'm controlling the ammonia with lower ph and Safe at the moment, but when I'm ready to step up the RO Right dosage to a higher level, I'll need to figure something out with the ammonia.
    Okay, I wasn't sure why there was ammonia. Sounds like you have your plan.
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast