ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Withdrawn - First attempt at breeding Discus - Log

Default Re: First attempt at breeding Discus - Log

Shawn, I haven't been on in awhile... great to see you in the contest! Thanks for continuing to post your experiment!

Registered Member

I took some pictures last night of the fish before an after water change. Here they are.

Aside from having to feed more, they're all getting a 90% water change once a day or once every other day. I've increased the RO Right dosage to 5ml per 2.5 gallons this week.
    Attached Images Attached Images

This was a great read... I'm glad you are taking a different method then the norm of what folks in this forum would do... I know some folks in here would jump on you if you don't do it the traditional way. Way to stay with it. Good luck... I too am looking into ways of growing discus the unconventional way with less water change so one day I can help those that want to get in the hobby but can't commit to all of the daily water changes.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by kalelhawj View Post
    This was a great read... I'm glad you are taking a different method then the norm of what folks in this forum would do... I know some folks in here would jump on you if you don't do it the traditional way. Way to stay with it. Good luck... I too am looking into ways of growing discus the unconventional way with less water change so one day I can help those that want to get in the hobby but can't commit to all of the daily water changes.
    Thanks, appreciate the nice comments. I hope through this, some may realize that it's not impossible to raise Discus in an absolute sterile and time consuming manner.

Registered Member

I've noticed that some of these guys are getting feisty. There's about 3-4 of them that would chase others away when feeding, and the largest one would turn dark and hog up the surface food. I also noticed that there's some flashing going on today, so there may be some irritation going on.

I too am looking into ways of growing discus the unconventional way with less water change so one day I can help those that want to get in the hobby but can't commit to all of the daily water changes.
    yep.. thats why the contest is great.. following development of all fry for over a year
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and Homesteader TNT77's Avatar

I just got done with a 5 month trial of raising a group of 10 2.5" fish on twice weekly water changes. I got 2 stunning huge ones out of the bunch and had to cull the rest. So I guess if you don't mind some losses and the extra money down the drain. But that was just my recent experience.
    Tara Bennett
    Phone: 815-876-0516

Quote Originally Posted by TNT77 View Post
    I just got done with a 5 month trial of raising a group of 10 2.5" fish on twice weekly water changes. I got 2 stunning huge ones out of the bunch and had to cull the rest. So I guess if you don't mind some losses and the extra money down the drain. But that was just my recent experience.
    Tara, post some photo of those two in your homestead section. Would love to see how they look...

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by TNT77 View Post
    Tara, that's a 20% success rate, so with the 30 fish that I have now, if 6 will turn out stunning, I'm game for that.

Thanks for sharing.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and Homesteader TNT77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shawnhu View Post
    Tara, that's a 20% success rate, so with the 30 fish that I have now, if 6 will turn out stunning, I'm game for that.

Thanks for sharing.
    I was just lucky the 2 nicest ones lived lol. I will say I wont do that experiment again. Way too much of an acceptable loss for me.
    Tara Bennett
    Phone: 815-876-0516

Registered Member

I'm starting to see more fighting, and some flashing and darting. One of them even has went dark(also a darter).

Aside from water quality, is there anything else I can look into?

Quote Originally Posted by shawnhu View Post
    I'm starting to see more fighting, and some flashing and darting. One of them even has went dark(also a darter).

Aside from water quality, is there anything else I can look into?
    start with water quality. It will strengthen their immune systems to have the water better than what it has been. Also, it could possibly prevent more problems and fix some that you have now.
    OC
    Visit my homestead....Discus Living with the OC

I see my adults fight all the time, I assume same happens to youngsters. I think a bigger tank might help just so your fish can swim away from the bullies.
    I do what I must do, to do what I wish to do!
    dominik

Registered Member

Hi I live in the Bronx I was just wondering is you would sell me some

Registered Member

Slade, unfortunately, these fish will not be for sale.

Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast