AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Withdrawn - First attempt at breeding Discus - Log

Default Re: First attempt at breeding Discus - Log

Quote Originally Posted by shawnhu View Post
    They're sitting in a salt bath for the time being at a concentration of 11 tablespoons per 25 gallons. I'll start an antibacterial tonight when I return. Dropping the temp as well.
    Keep us posted!
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Hoping you figure this out. Would love to see how these guys turn out for the contest. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnhu View Post
    They're sitting in a salt bath for the time being at a concentration of 11 tablespoons per 25 gallons. I'll start an antibacterial tonight when I return. Dropping the temp as well.
    11 per 25 gals? what happened to the 3%? no where near strong enough to do anything. good luck with the rest.
    Jim

Registered Member

Thanks for the support guys. I'll do the best I can to keep these guys going.

Registered Member

They are currently all undergoing a PP treatment. I've notices that those that went through a PP treatment has slowed breathing and perked up fins with decent coloring.

Registered Member

I had to pull them from the PP and back into the tank since I noticed a few of them starting to roll over. Here's some immediate pics after pulling from PP.

Registered Member

This is them after settling in a little.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Rick

Rolling over in PP? Thats something you usually see in a salt bath. Sorry to see your having issues. I might be inclined to go with copper, others will differ.

rick
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    Rolling over in PP? Thats something you usually see in a salt bath. Sorry to see your having issues. I might be inclined to go with copper, others will differ.

rick
    Thanks Rick. Could I ask why copper?

Real Name
    Rick

It's broad spectrum and a not as harsh of fry/young juvies. There are a lot of people here that dont like it. You have to be carefull how long you treat with it, no longer than 5-6 days in my book. It's just a personal preference.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

copper is something I have always liked but it takes weeks for it to be most effective and with amount of wc's done with discus,it's not worth it and it has to be used with a copper test kit with the correct values.
    if you want to successfully treat these, you need to complete one coarse of treatment whichever you chose, but need to complete one and wait a few days at least before the next. as I said I would do salt dips, not bath and do for 3 days without any other change, then into clean water. if you don't like the 3% which has worked perfect for me then go to min of 2%. pp is not as effective and many times 2ppm is not enough. if you don't see the slime coat shed after 4-5 hrs then it did little except irritate the gills and make things worse on the fish.i don't like low dose salt baths more than 2-3 days or stronger baths for 1/2 hr or longer because it effects the functions of the organs
    through osmoregulation,dehydration is what they don't need. stronger salt dips for few minutes don't go beyond the exterior of the fish except for a little in the gills. if they die after a short salt dip, they were goners anyway.
    My thing to do would be the salt dips then if showing slow results or still seeing fin deterioration add some acriflavin to the clean water for a week. then into metro because by now i'd be sure the flagellates are expanding inside them.
    my opinion on what they might have is from flukes whether directly from them and secondary microbes or other pathogens took advantage of weakness so a basic fluke treatment is too late and too slow. jmo/e
    Last edited by jimg; 10-07-2012 at 07:52 AM. Reason: spell
    Jim

Registered Member

Jim,

Thanks for the explanation of the copper. I currently have both treatments handy. I have a solution of PP and also some salt on hand in a premade solution.

I do thank everyone that has taken their time to chime in and help me here. Good news is, I have not lost any For a couple days now. Bad news is after a water change today I almost lost one. I put him in PP and looks like he is recovering now. I literally pulled him out of hell.

I also salt dipped another one that was dark but looked healthy. He took the salt like a pro for a few minutes, and finally rolled. He's now in PP with 2 others. I'll be placing these 3 in isolation to monitor in the coming days.

Jim, Eddie, and everyone else that has supported me, thank you very much!

Good luck with them! All the best
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Real Name
    Rick

So your performing a salt dip and then right to the PP? Yikes.......I wouldn't recomend this.

I put him in PP and looks like he is recovering now.
    this statement confuses me, care to extrapolate? You are aware the PP is not a medication correct? While PP has many uses, fish seldom recover while recieving treatment, but afterwards.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    So your performing a salt dip and then right to the PP? Yikes.......I wouldn't recomend this.

this statement confuses me, care to extrapolate? You are aware the PP is not a medication correct? While PP has many uses, fish seldom recover while recieving treatment, but afterwards.
    Hi Rick,

You got it right, I salt dipped one of them and placed him in a quick PP with 2 others. They are looking good for the time being.

As for knowing that PP is not a medical treatment, I am aware. The little guy was floating around the tank, without any balance and not even trying to swim. I saw very little gill movement, and said what the heck, in the PP he goes. Hope he makes a recovery now that he's out of the PP. He's at lease swimming, breathing and upright now.

I believe I need to be one step ahead in order for them to make a recovery, and my next challenge is figuring out why some of them look a little bloated, and not really balanced.

Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast